what to do?

Old Jan 17th 2005, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

jugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud of
Default what to do?

I was wondering what hubby could do if we go to Australia. He is a very experienced gas fitter but has no formal plumbing qualifications which are needed in Oz. Ideally he would want to do something practical and in a field where there is plenty of work. I am a nurse and could work full time while he retrains but I wouldn't want him to be training/ out of work for too long. he is nearlly 40 aswell. Would this affect his chances of work? Any advice welcome.
Old Jan 17th 2005, 1:09 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Default Re: what to do?

Originally Posted by jugsy
I was wondering what hubby could do if we go to Australia. He is a very experienced gas fitter but has no formal plumbing qualifications which are needed in Oz. Ideally he would want to do something practical and in a field where there is plenty of work. I am a nurse and could work full time while he retrains but I wouldn't want him to be training/ out of work for too long. he is nearlly 40 aswell. Would this affect his chances of work? Any advice welcome.
Not sure how similar UK/Aus is in his particular trade but he obviously knows his stuff. Maybe he could be a "Fitters mate" or perhaps he could take up training here in the same field as he was in UK [maybe work on lesser salary for a company prepared to sponsor him?]

Being 40 shouldn't affect his chances of work as long as he's not too picky and doesn't expect to earn loads. If he's willing to work hard, does not expect a UK salary and is prepared to prove himself.... then he should be OK finding work

Old Jan 17th 2005, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

jugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud of
Default Re: what to do?

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Not sure how similar UK/Aus is in his particular trade but he obviously knows his stuff. Maybe he could be a "Fitters mate" or perhaps he could take up training here in the same field as he was in UK [maybe work on lesser salary for a company prepared to sponsor him?]

Being 40 shouldn't affect his chances of work as long as he's not too picky and doesn't expect to earn loads. If he's willing to work hard, does not expect a UK salary and is prepared to prove himself.... then he should be OK finding work

Thanks Phoenix. He is a hard worker and good at what he does. The problem is that gas fitting is not a trade in its own right in Oz - it is a sub trade within plumbing. I am guessing it would take a long time to retrain as a plumber