Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what to do with £100,000

what to do with £100,000

Old Oct 25th 2005, 8:16 pm
NEO LIVES

CORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of light
Default what to do with £100,000

If everything went to plan and you got £100,000 profit from the sale of your house and everything else you own....

What would you do with the money...??

Take it and stick in an Aussie bank...(live off interest till u find house)
Leave it here and use it from Aus......(when u find a house)

What's Aussie interest....??
What's current exchange rate..???

Old Oct 25th 2005, 8:20 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what to do with £100,000

Originally Posted by CORKER
If everything went to plan and you got £100,000 profit from the sale of your house and everything else you own....

Best investment I think would be to search for a good block of land , in a desireable locale. Possibly that could be subdivided in a year or two AND SIT ON IT !!!

Big as Oz is, LAND is scarce ! and possibly the best return for your investment.

A cpl of businessmen i know, would advise buying commercial or industrial land, this has seen and still is seeing enormous returns.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 8:22 pm
Blonde with a Brain !!

Rachee will become famous soon enoughRachee will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: what to do with £100,000

Always invest.... money in banks does not earn anything...

( or you can give it to me !!!!!!
Old Oct 25th 2005, 8:30 pm
NEO LIVES

CORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rachee
Always invest.... money in banks does not earn anything...

( or you can give it to me !!!!!!
Only wanted to sit on the money for a short time till we find "THE" house..
Old Oct 25th 2005, 8:33 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Short term hmphhh dunno then lol

Start looking at share prices
Old Oct 25th 2005, 8:37 pm
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at www.ingdirect.co.uk. They offer 4.75% interest with full access to your money anytime without penalty. They have this in oz too so check out there interest rates as I'm sure they are higher.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 8:37 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Although I don't live in Australia, touch wood, when my house in the UK sells I'll be looking at this scenario.

To be honest I'm finding the responsibility of potentially $170,000 (US Dollars) quite overwhelming.

I have a mortgage on my current home of $46,000 which I would like to pay off in a shot and maybe do $20,000 in repairs / remodelling.

This leaves in the region of $100,000 USD (presuming the exchange rate doesn't fluctuate between now and whenever the house sells)

I dunno what to do, I'm thinking of just bunging it in a CD for 3 months just to see what happens and get some sound financial advice.

I just know I'll never be looking at having cash like this ever again in my life and know I just can't ***** it up.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

what you are looking for is capital "preservation".........forget stocks forget land stick in an interest bearing bank account......if it is VERY important for you to have 100k when you find the house you want then put it in a bank and don't listern to these guys.....land and stocks are more of a long term investment as your capital can erode in the short term
Old Oct 25th 2005, 8:41 pm
Banned

Talking Re: what to do with £100,000

Originally Posted by Manc
Although I don't live in Australia, touch wood, when my house in the UK sells I'll be looking at this scenario.

To be honest I'm finding the responsibility of potentially $170,000 (US Dollars) quite overwhelming.

I have a mortgage on my current home of $46,000 which I would like to pay off in a shot and maybe do $20,000 in repairs / remodelling.

This leaves in the region of $100,000 USD (presuming the exchange rate doesn't fluctuate between now and whenever the house sells)

I dunno what to do, I'm thinking of just bunging it in a CD for 3 months just to see what happens and get some sound financial advice.

I just know I'll never be looking at having cash like this ever again in my life and know I just can't ***** it up.

Please invite me to a PARTY at your house, I will look after the music, im brill with CD's

Which one ya hiding it in ?
Old Oct 25th 2005, 8:42 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by psb182
what you are looking for is capital "preservation".........forget stocks forget land stick in an interest bearing bank account......if it is VERY important for you to have 100k when you find the house you want then put it in a bank and don't listern to these guys.....land and stocks are more of a long term investment as your capital can erode in the short term
Very wise words, especially as our replies didnt know the bridging term was a short one
Old Oct 25th 2005, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Very wise words, especially as our replies didnt know the bridging term was a short one

sorry didn't mean to offend you
Old Oct 25th 2005, 9:03 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

send it to me
i`ll look after it for you
Old Oct 25th 2005, 9:08 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Spend it on male strippers

D D
Old Oct 25th 2005, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

bradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to all

Hi mate,
see thread on " equity from house sale"

Ian
Old Oct 25th 2005, 9:31 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

If you're thinking short term and are going to stick it in a UK bank then you will get a better interest rate in Australia (one of my accounts offers 5.75% with instant access etc). But then you do pay tax on interest as well....