Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What discount to expect for cash at thegoodguys ?

What discount to expect for cash at thegoodguys ?

Old Oct 19th 2004, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

subaru22b is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down What discount to expect for cash at thegoodguys ?

What sort of cash discount can we expect from thegoodguys, especially if we are buying quite a few things (e.g. fridge / freezer, TV, microwave, mower ... I am sure there were other things on the list

Do all the stores have the same selection of goods, or are there bigger stores with more choice ? We are in Brisbane (Bayside), so if there are any really big stores with more choise then please can you let us know whereabouts they are.
Old Oct 19th 2004, 9:30 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What discount to expect for cash at thegoodguys ?

Originally Posted by subaru22b
What sort of cash discount can we expect from thegoodguys, especially if we are buying quite a few things (e.g. fridge / freezer, TV, microwave, mower ... I am sure there were other things on the list

Do all the stores have the same selection of goods, or are there bigger stores with more choice ? We are in Brisbane (Bayside), so if there are any really big stores with more choise then please can you let us know whereabouts they are.
We found [in our own experience] that the price you get for cash at the goodguys is the same as the price that stores like retravision or betta electrical sell at normally. Plus if your buying quite a lot and paying cash these stores will both give discount.
A good example was our washing machine, it's cash price at goodguys was 30 bucks dearer than betta electricals display price, a discount for cash made a nice diffrence.
I did post details about it at the time so do a search.
Old Oct 19th 2004, 9:37 pm
making your move easier

melbournehelp is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cresta57
We found [in our own experience] that the price you get for cash at the goodguys is the same as the price that stores like retravision or betta electrical sell at normally. Plus if your buying quite a lot and paying cash these stores will both give discount.
A good example was our washing machine, it's cash price at goodguys was 30 bucks dearer than betta electricals display price, a discount for cash made a nice diffrence.
I did post details about it at the time so do a search.
The reason the good guys offer ' less for cash' is so you won't ask for more discount- they usually knock $10 off for cash
Cresta is right , shop around, find the cheapest store for the model you want..then haggle !

Melbournehelp
Old Oct 19th 2004, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

We bought all of our stuff from Clive Anthonys but I played them off of one another for a couple of days - with a bit of tweaking here and there we managed to get about 2k off a 11.2k purchase.
Old Oct 19th 2004, 11:05 pm
owieb

I agree with Cresta, Good Guys don't do anything better than what the other stores can do. Shop around is the best advice.

Old Oct 19th 2004, 11:33 pm
ABCDiamond

At least 12%. (At least it is here in QLD) Which is the same discount that you get if you show them your RACQ card, (same as AA or RAC in UK)

As others say; play one of against the other. I often get a price from an internet site, and the local shops will happily match it.

Where exactly are you, subaru ?
Capalaba, for example, has The Good Guys and Clive Anthonys, but also a couple of other smaller places.

Old Oct 20th 2004, 1:34 am
Gary / Terri

Gary / Terri is on a distinguished road

subaru
I would not use good guys he key reason is taking something back or if you have ay issues hey become the bad guys...my advice would be to shop around, decide on the model you want and the play them off against each oher, in the end we got the best price from Myer for the TV's and Rettavision for the wash machine and fridgeHope this helps
Gary and Terri
Old Oct 20th 2004, 1:49 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

We shopped around and Retrovision told us they could not match The Good Guys price. We bought a fridge, washing machine, TV, Microwave, Telephone, Speaker stands, hoover, toaster and kettle and Clive Peters wanted $10,000ish Retrovision could do $8500 and The Good Guys was $7300. So it was worth it for us.

Jo
Old Oct 20th 2004, 1:53 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Gary / Terri
subaru
I would not use good guys he key reason is taking something back or if you have ay issues hey become the bad guys...my advice would be to shop around, decide on the model you want and the play them off against each oher, in the end we got the best price from Myer for the TV's and Rettavision for the wash machine and fridgeHope this helps
Gary and Terri
Myers also say that they Price Match, which is good.

We had some returns to The Good Guys when we moved up here, and had no trouble in getting things exchanged.

I think we bought three things in three weeks, and returned all of them for exchange (2 items) or refund (1 item), and we had no problems.

And the reason for the returns weren't the fault of "The Good Guys" We just had a run of bad luck !

Old Oct 20th 2004, 2:45 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

It depends on how much you spend, and how much you haggle with regards to the discount.
We bought aircon, wide screen TV, Fridge, cooker top and hood.. and various other things, we had quite a substantial discount ( can't recall the exact discount, but it was cheaper than most places, for all our items ) and we used a credit card, because it was a good few $$$$$$$ grand, .. couldn't use bank card as that has a daily limit, so had to use the credit card to pay for the things.
If you are spending thousands, buying a load of things .. you tend to get more of a discount than someone say buying just a fridge. And their cash policy is not strictly true, I used the credit card to pay for a load of stuff and got a good discount
cheers
Old Oct 20th 2004, 2:59 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Ceri
And their cash policy is not strictly true, I used the credit card to pay for a load of stuff and got a good discount
cheers
I found the same thing. I was only ever refused the cash discount with credit card on one occasion. They explained that the discount we had haggled for, had taken them to the limit, and credit card fees would remove their last remaining profit

Old Oct 20th 2004, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Shopping around is definitly the way to go. I usually start on the phone. Get a price phone someone else and go back and forth until I've got the best price and then visit the stores who wouldn't deal over the phone with my best phone price and start again. I've literally saved thousands this way, even on cars.
Old Oct 20th 2004, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

subaru22b is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys ... I think we'll have to haggle a bit more. We did with the car (on the phone to one dealer while in showroom of another .

All this haggling and messing about just wears us down .... especially with a 3 year old in tow

ABC, yes we are in Capalaba ...... moving to Birkdale in a week or so. I'll try Clive Anthony, Betta and perhaps Myers.