Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What a difference an hour makes....

What a difference an hour makes....

Old Oct 26th 2002, 4:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light
Default What a difference an hour makes....

Hubby got an e-mail last week - firm in NZ he'd applied to for a job wanted to set up a phone interview for Friday or Monday, and asked him to e-mail back with date & time preference. Lucky for hubby he thought of confirming whether they meant THEIR Friday/Monday or OURS - they meant THEIRS (phew! close one...), so of course Hubby opted for Friday (Thursday here) at 5:30 p.m. in his office. Whoohoo, big smiles for 2 days.

So Thursday rolls around, and hubby's in meetings 'til close to interview time, but arrives at office with time to spare. 5:30 p.m. comes and goes, but no phone call. Hubby gets worried, does the 'math' on the time difference, could he have made a mistake? No, no, called NZ a few weeks ago, they're 16 hours ahead for sure. Waits, waits. Almost 6:00 now, this won't do - so finally calls them in NZ and asks what's up about the interview? Surprise at other end and "we called you at appointed time but no one answered. I'm afraid (name withheld) won't be able to speak to you now, he has other interviews to do'. Stunned silence (taking artistic license here) and then anguished "how HOW could this be?" (more artistic license). At which point an awful thought rears its ugly head... " Have you " he whispers (okay okay enough artistic license) "have you... recently... changed... your clocks by any chance?". "Oh yes" comes the reply " just put them forward 2 or 3 weeks ago".

Aaaaaaahhhhhhh!! We don't change OUR clocks until tomorrow night..........

So, little New Zealand forum group, what do you think? Has hubby still got a chance?! Seriously though, am not feeling so lighthearted - this business of HAVING to have a relevant job offer to get required points is pretty stressful. All the nightmare logistics involved in this whole process for a family of 4, too - whew! (is that a word?)

Ah well, one down, 2 to go... Any thoughts (kind or otherwise) most welcome!

ta!
TA
Old Oct 28th 2002, 11:41 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Did he get a second chance?

When I was interviewing, I tended to mentally dismiss anyone who was more than a few minutes late (sorry, that's the truth) and often didn't interview them at all. If I did, it was to preserve the company's good name rather than because I'd give them a proper chance. But a couple of times a candidate was just so good in interview that any lateness was instantly forgotten.

Myself, I was late for a crucial interview once and got 'binned' but protested earnestly that I really wanted the chance to get the position (it was a flight into London that arrived late - though still my fault as I'd left it too tight) and luckily said enough to get a second go...and got the job!

Cheers - Don
Old Oct 29th 2002, 3:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light

Somebody cares!!

Thanks, Don, for the truth straight up, yet the little room left for hope! - as to 'did he get a second chance?', well that's a good question! A new interview date WAS set up - but only after hubby hadn't heard back from them as promised, and had to contact them to remind them Preserving the company's good name? Did cross our minds...

Meanwhile, possibility #2 - was told on phone that job would be starting quite soon. But just received letter saying 'hiring process may take up to 4 months'....FOUR MONTHS?! Is there some message lurking about between the lines here?
Maybe we should be asking for others' experiences as to how New Zealanders 'reject' job applicants, just in case!

And one to go....

Cheerio, TA