Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what did you wish that you should have brought from UK, that you can't get in oz.

what did you wish that you should have brought from UK, that you can't get in oz.

Old Mar 10th 2006, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: what did you wish that you should have brought from UK, that you can't get in oz.

Originally Posted by nickyc
But we might only have 99 different flavours of yoghurt - instead of the 100 flavours they may be used to.

Funnily enough we do actually have PROPER Cadbury's chocolate (again 95 different varieties) all made in a PROPER Cadbury's chocolate factory in Tasmania.
Oh you just made my day - is it as good as the Irish Cadbury's? I used to get my Mum to send me packets of the stuff when I was backpacking years ago. Now live in London - soon to be Oz but I still notice a huge difference between Irish and UK cadburys and every time I go to Ireland I bring bags of the stuff back.

As you probably guessed I am a SERIOUS CHOCOHOLIC!

Sue

Old Mar 10th 2006, 8:54 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what did you wish that you should have brought from UK, that you can't get in oz.

Originally Posted by iPom
Don't take white goods with you ... much better in Aus, esp washing machines. Fridges much better there too, designed to cope with the heat. A UK fridge would burn out in a matter of days from exhaustion!

Yes you'd have to pay tax.... It's not worth your while.
White goods are a fortune here, much cheaper in the UK.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 8:55 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fraser
White goods are a fortune here, much cheaper in the UK.

I never found that but I guess it depends on what and where you're buying.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 8:58 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

I never found that but I guess it depends on what and where you're buying.
Not where you are buying but what, you can't buy a decent fridge for anything under a $1000.

Front load washing machines, dishwashers and built in ovens are a fortune.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Not where you are buying but what, you can't buy a decent fridge for anything under a $1000.

Front load washing machines, dishwashers and built in ovens are a fortune.
Yes, I upgraded my Bosch front loading washing machine just before we left for just under £300 - similar model here $1300.

Dysons are also more expensive here so if you are a fan bring one with you.

I've had to buy a new dishwasher here and it was $1400 - Bosch.

Wouldn't bring a fridge - ones designed for Oz are preferable.

HTH
Old Mar 11th 2006, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
the reason I asked was, when we lived in germany we couldnt most simple things, like tea bages, things like that unless you went to the english shop and paid 5 times over, and the same when hubby goes to US, he said they dont sell decent tea bags.

farideh
It's the same in Canada we get cadbury chocolate, :scared: it's not the same as english Cabury's........we have good tea tho...
Old Mar 11th 2006, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

JJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the rough

How about Hellman's Manonnaise? I have not had a good experience with Aussie mayo ...
NOt sure if any one has commented further on in the thread.. but Hellmans is in Coles... bought it twice now.

Oxo are here but.......... I sadly compared the ingredients to a UK Oxo and they are different.. please don't ask me what the differences are!!..

The main thing we have missed is inks for our printer. We have an Epson Photo RX420.. this model doesn't exist in Oz nor do the cartridges, tried the cartridges made for the RX430, they look the same but don't work... getting them flown over from the UK now..

Tetley extra strong tea bags are great!!

Julie
Old Mar 11th 2006, 9:44 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JJJHM
tried the cartridges made for the RX430, they look the same but don't work... getting them flown over from the UK now..

Julie
Surely it'd work out cheaper (not even in the long run, but fairly quickly) to just cut your loses and buy a printer for which those cartridges are available in Oz? Hmmm - actually - just Googled - looks like Epson do sell your printer in Oz. Also Googled for the carts and this company do them.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

JJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Hutch
Surely it'd work out cheaper (not even in the long run, but fairly quickly) to just cut your loses and buy a printer for which those cartridges are available in Oz? Hmmm - actually - just Googled - looks like Epson do sell your printer in Oz. Also Googled for the carts and this company do them.

It might come to that when the rellies stop coming to visit and refuse to pay the postage!!... just put in RX420 into that link it brings up the RX430 cartidge!!... Thanks for trying though!!
Old Mar 11th 2006, 9:56 am
New South Welshie

<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JJJHM
It might come to that when the rellies stop coming to visit and refuse to pay the postage!!... just put in RX420 into that link it brings up the RX430 cartidge!!... Thanks for trying though!!
Hi Julie......

Any luck on eBay?

If we were still in Whiteley, we could be your sole distributor.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

weeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud of
Question Re: what did you wish that you should have brought from UK, that you can't get in oz.

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
My hubby is totally crazy about he's tea bags, when he travels aborad, half of he's suitcase is filled with tea bags.
as he said he needs he's decent cup of tea.
guys who have already moved to OZ, do you ever wish that you should have packed certain things with you, that is hard to get out there.
now he keep saying do they have OXO cubes out there or do we have to take loads with us.

this is just for fun,

farideh
Has anyone on here took nothing except their clothes,we dont have very much as we have been living with parent since we got married(not great but saved a lot!)We were thinking just taking personal stuff and buy everything over there,are household things more expensive?Cheers Claire
Old Mar 11th 2006, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by weeman111
Has anyone on here took nothing except their clothes,we dont have very much as we have been living with parent since we got married(not great but saved a lot!)We were thinking just taking personal stuff and buy everything over there,are household things more expensive?Cheers Claire
I'm surprised you own anything at all comin from the poor half of Glasgow
Old Mar 11th 2006, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

weeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud of
Smile Re: what did you wish that you should have brought from UK, that you can't get in oz.

I'm surprised you own anything at all comin from the poor half of Glasgow
Saving more now I cant shop in JJB! 21
Old Mar 12th 2006, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Johnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weeman111
Has anyone on here took nothing except their clothes,we dont have very much as we have been living with parent since we got married(not great but saved a lot!)We were thinking just taking personal stuff and buy everything over there,are household things more expensive?
Thribble and I just brought three rucksacks of clothes between us and a laptop each. It was very liberating getting rid of stuff that we (me in particular) had horded for all of those years. Lots of our personal effects (photographs, wedding presents, etc.) are in our parents' attics in the UK, but on the whole we just purged as much as we could (Hoorah for Freecycle).

To be honest, I couldn't tell you if household things are cheaper... we tend to compare prices between outlets in Melbourne rather than comparing prices with back in the UK. After all, we're earning Australian Dollars now, not the strong British Pound!

I'm not sure if this helps you at all, but yes... it can be done! It also makes it easier for you to travel when you get here and you don't have to worry about shipping costs!

Cheers!

--paj
Old Mar 12th 2006, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

These things I have not been able to get here and I miss:

PG TIPS Tea Bags - they are the best and none of the Aussie ones come close. Relies were bringing them over for me but I had to stop as when they ran out I realised how bad the others were!

Hula Hoops
Jaffa Cakes
Monster Munch
Those funny long shaped crisps in prawn flavour.
Custard Creams a double pack for 59p in England a single pack here is more than that.
Shreddies, Ready Brek

Most other things you can get here now. S&W mayo is Hellmans, Oh So Saucy is Bisto and OXO is the same.

Over all the food here is better anyway less prepackaged things. Mind you I would kill for pre-packaged curries.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.