Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What did you think when reading negative posts about Australia

Wikiposts

What did you think when reading negative posts about Australia

Old May 25th 2007, 2:28 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What did you think when reading negative posts about Australia

Originally Posted by Pollyana
which caused mayhem as no-one knew of my forum name and couldn't work out who he was talking to!!
Sorry to do this to you 'Pol' - but I'm going to out your real name. Ladies and gentlemen, please be upstanding and raise a glass to...

Derek!

Old May 25th 2007, 2:00 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Sorry to do this to you 'Pol' - but I'm going to out your real name. Ladies and gentlemen, please be upstanding and raise a glass to...

Derek!

Old May 25th 2007, 4:32 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

It funny how your perception can be swayed be how a person actually treats you rather than what they say.

When I wrote my 4 month rant about crap supermarkets et al, Dotty saw it for what it was, an "oh my God, what have I done panic attack" and sent me a lovely supportive email saying that things would get better, and obviously they have. Badgersmount, as he was then, merely called me petty for not wanting to eat cow saliva when I was a vegetarian. Just what I needed when I was feeling so low.

I know which poster I have more respect for.

Jane
Old May 25th 2007, 5:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch

Derek!

She told me it was Fred
Old May 25th 2007, 5:57 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
She told me it was Fred
Maybe she meant Fred(erek)erick
Old May 25th 2007, 8:48 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JaneandJim
It funny how your perception can be swayed be how a person actually treats you rather than what they say.

When I wrote my 4 month rant about crap supermarkets et al, Dotty saw it for what it was, an "oh my God, what have I done panic attack" and sent me a lovely supportive email saying that things would get better, and obviously they have. Badgersmount, as he was then, merely called me petty for not wanting to eat cow saliva when I was a vegetarian. Just what I needed when I was feeling so low.

I know which poster I have more respect for.

Jane

I am with you, believe it or not PB and Dotty both sent me really comforting messages about my awful homesickness and helped loads in my starting up here in Aus.

Five years on - I still have a laugh at how they came across, and I am still here wishing I wasn't
Old May 25th 2007, 9:30 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yep, Wol was there for the second one, when you brought Mrs Badge along. Mr and Mrs Wol met me that day - then turned up a few days later in my office needing fingerprints done for an FBI check to come to Aus. It was 9.30am on my last day at work, so I had the fingerprint ink in one hand and a glass of wine in the other; Wol walked into the office and said "Hello Pollyana" which caused mayhem as no-one knew of my forum name and couldn't work out who he was talking to!!
Yes, you could'a knocked me over with the proverbial when we saw you sitting there with a glass in the middle of the fingerprint room!

(Wasn't you who sabotaged Mrs Wol's, was it? <g>.
Old May 25th 2007, 9:55 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Yes, you could'a knocked me over with the proverbial when we saw you sitting there with a glass in the middle of the fingerprint room!

(Wasn't you who sabotaged Mrs Wol's, was it? <g>.
Why do you think I wasn't taking them! Didn't want to spill wine of the forms (such a waste!!), so my companion in crime had to do them!
He got his own back later by presenting me with a pair of his underpants, nicely framed, as a leaving present......he said they were his lucky ones and the Seagulls never lost a match while he was wearing them. What a sacrifice, just to give me a leaving gift
Old May 25th 2007, 10:20 pm
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Polly is commenting on MTBUK as to how more people should have taken more heed of some cautionary posters when they were back in UK.

I distinctly remember thinking, where are these people living? I still do!

I also had the advantage of having lived here for a year already when I found expats.

1) What did you think when you read them? Did being here help?

2) Do people think they just got lucky?

3) Do people feel that all these cautionary tales could have applied to them
if they were in a different job/town/state?

4) Do people feel it really is all personal taste (as always)?

5) Do some people mitigate the problems better than others?

6) Do some people give up?

Lets hear facts people, not emotion!

cheers

B
i think the hard part for some is to return to the uk .
Just about everything in your life and oneself is analyzed to find the reason why it hasnt worked and also wether you will actually settle back in the uk after being away ,as one cant help but change in some way .
Coming to australia is seen as a positive emotion as it is an adventure and a golden oppurtunity to forge a new life ,whereas going back to the uk is seen to a certain degree as failure and all that that brings with it ,where as i see moving back the braver of the decisions to make .
For all those coming and want to come they MUST do it to satisfy their need and hopefully for them like so many before them , they will make a success out of it .Good luck to all those coming and good luck to all those going .
Old May 26th 2007, 12:33 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Polly is commenting on MTBUK as to how more people should have taken more heed of some cautionary posters when they were back in UK.

I distinctly remember thinking, where are these people living? I still do!

I also had the advantage of having lived here for a year already when I found expats.

1) What did you think when you read them? Did being here help?

2) Do people think they just got lucky?

3) Do people feel that all these cautionary tales could have applied to them if they were in a different job/town/state?

4) Do people feel it really is all personal taste (as always)?

5) Do some people mitigate the problems better than others?

6) Do some people give up?

Lets hear facts people, not emotion!

cheers

B
I'm probably the wrong person to answer this .... but I will anyway

As an aussie who has lived outside australia for 24 years I probably have a different (warped?) opinion, but I would answer YES to all of your questions.

Every country I have lived in I moved to with no expectations and enjoyed my time there. Maybe I just got lucky each time but you would think after 14 countries, at least one would have disappointed - well Saudi did slightly, but I gave it my best shot and it was 'an experience'.

Moving back to OZ was different - I had big expectations, because I had never intended to be away from OZ for so long. For 20 of those 24 years I was always thinking "this time next year ...." It just never happened (for a variety of reasons).

When I finally moved back, my expectations were HUGE.

and Australia (Perth) lived up to every one of them and then some.

BUT.... I can understand people who havent had my type of experiences finding Australia "hard". If you've never lived away from family and friends the first time you do IS a shock, and homesickness is a real problem for some people.

With regard to MBTUK forum... one mans meat is another mans poison.

Its good to read a varety of experiences, BUT..... only you know what is right for you, and what is right for you today, may not be right for you tomorrow (and vice versa), hence the number of ping pong poms (and ping pong aussies as well)

Everybodys experiences are different and nobodys experiences are wrong.

The 'right' decision you make today may not be 'right' tomorrow, because tomorrow you have more information & knowledge.

Last edited by Vegemite Kids; May 26th 2007 at 12:37 am.
Old May 26th 2007, 12:39 am
BE Enthusiast

maggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids
I'm probably the wrong person to answer this .... but I will anyway

As an aussie who has lived outside australia for 24 years I probably have a different (warped?) opinion, but I would answer YES to all of your questions.

Every country I have lived in I moved to with no expectations and enjoyed my time there. Maybe I just got lucky each time but you would think after 14 countries, at least one would have disappointed - well Saudi did slightly, but I gave it my best shot and it was 'an experience'.

Moving back to OZ was different - I had big expectations, because I had never intended to be away from OZ for so long. For 20 of those 24 years I was always thinking "this time next year ...." It just never happened (for a variety of reasons).

When I finally moved back, my expectations were HUGE.

and Australia (Perth) lived up to every one of them and then some.

BUT.... I can understand people who havent had my type of experiences finding Australia "hard". If you've never lived away from family and friends the first time you do IS a shock, and homesickness is a real problem for some people.

With regard to MBTUK forum... one mans meat is another mans poison.

Its good to read a varety of experiences, BUT..... only you know what is right for you, and what is right for you today, may not be right for you tomorrow (and vice versa), hence the number of ping pong poms (and ping pong aussies as well)

Everybodys experiences are different and nobodys experiences are wrong.

The 'right' decision you make today may not be 'right' tomorrow, because tomorrow you have more information & knowledge.
OMG hi hun how are you long time since we met up for cuppa.

Hope all is well with you and Chris.

Hugs

Mags