Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What did you think when reading negative posts about Australia

Wikiposts

What did you think when reading negative posts about Australia

Old May 23rd 2007, 6:27 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What did you think when reading negative posts about Australia

Originally Posted by Mid Lifer.
I have read them and still pop in now and then.I feel like a fly on the wall most of the time.But after all it is a forum for people who are unhappy with their lot to let off steam and support each other.So because of that I dont get involved with "defending" Oz when I see a thread (in the MBTUK forum)slagging off this country.Much like I wouldnt go into an AA meeting half pissed spouting off how great the odd drink is.However I dont expect a recovering alcoholic to come into my local spouting off about the evils of drink.
Does that make sense?
Perfect sense! Which is why I'm a bit annoyed at a MBTTUK post of mine being moved into a new thread in the Aus forum, where it clearly doesn't belong!!!
Old May 23rd 2007, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

LIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mid Lifer.
I have read them and still pop in now and then.I feel like a fly on the wall most of the time.But after all it is a forum for people who are unhappy with their lot to let off steam and support each other.So because of that I dont get involved with "defending" Oz when I see a thread (in the MBTUK forum)slagging off this country.Much like I wouldnt go into an AA meeting half pissed spouting off how great the odd drink is.However I dont expect a recovering alcoholic to come into my local spouting off about the evils of drink.
Does that make sense?
Well said

LibbyX
Old May 23rd 2007, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LIBBY
So what you are saying is people who have done years worth of research and have been to, lets say America (bit further than Spain) settle and dont get homesick and never go back to the UK.

What a load of rubbish.
Thanks for telling me what I said.

What I said was that people who don't do any research, don't have a back up plan, don't prepare themselves for the move and treat it as they would a move across the village...surely can't expect any sympathy when things don't go as they wish them to.
Old May 23rd 2007, 6:52 pm
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Thanks for telling me what I said.

What I said was that people who don't do any research, don't have a back up plan, don't prepare themselves for the move and treat it as they would a move across the village...surely can't expect any sympathy when things don't go as they wish them to.
Who mentioned they wanted sympathy?
Old May 23rd 2007, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulrachel
Who mentioned they wanted sympathy?
OK, empathy.
Old May 23rd 2007, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Womat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really nice

Originally Posted by LIBBY
So what you are saying is people who have done years worth of research and have been to, lets say America (bit further than Spain) settle and dont get homesick and never go back to the UK.

What a load of rubbish.

How did you come to the conclusion that NKSK was inferring that? From my reading all he did was describe why he got cross with *some* people and the way they had approached their move. He didn't say that research, planning and being well travelled was a guarantee for a harmonious fit with Australia.
Old May 23rd 2007, 7:09 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Perfect sense! Which is why I'm a bit annoyed at a MBTTUK post of mine being moved into a new thread in the Aus forum, where it clearly doesn't belong!!!
I don't get the impression he intended it as a dig, Polly. Was just struck by what you said and wondered how others (how may not read that section of the site) felt about it. FWIW, I think you're a great mod and put up with a lot of shit on here in a friendly and fair-minded way.
Old May 23rd 2007, 7:12 pm
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

I've made brief forays into MBTTUK a couple of times, but beware all who enter - DO NOT, under any circumstances have anything positive to say about Aus or negative about the UK - you will be hung, drawn and quartered. It never ceases to amaze me that some people rely on the 'advice' of unknown people to plan their lives. Almost all 'advice' on here is polarised. My circumstances are what they are - it is unlikely anyone else will mirror them, so apart from some advice on how to do this or that, what relevance is my opion on how well (or not) the move has gone for me/us. Both forums (the dingo lovers and the dingo haters) have people in them who are prepared to hammer to death any opinion different to the one they think everyone should hold. There are few tolerance anywhere now and you are expected to fit into a definite camp. To have the view of the UK and Aus being equal, just different, it tantamount to heresy within these forums now. IMO, people need to experience it for themselves, form their own opinions, live by their decisons, stay or go as they decide - nothing anyone else says should really have an influence on how YOU live YOUR life. No-ones circumstances, reason, choices, decisions will be the same as your own. It is the classic "one mans meat is another mans poison". You can only know if it's for you by coming and living it. Give it some time, you might end up liking it, if not, there's a whole other world out there for you.
Old May 23rd 2007, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
FWIW, I think you're a great mod and put up with a lot of shit on here in a friendly and fair-minded way.
I agree with Hutch.
Old May 23rd 2007, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 232Bar
I've made brief forays into MBTTUK a couple of times, but beware all who enter - DO NOT, under any circumstances have anything positive to say about Aus or negative about the UK - you will be hung, drawn and quartered. It never ceases to amaze me that some people rely on the 'advice' of unknown people to plan their lives. Almost all 'advice' on here is polarised. My circumstances are what they are - it is unlikely anyone else will mirror them, so apart from some advice on how to do this or that, what relevance is my opion on how well (or not) the move has gone for me/us. Both forums (the dingo lovers and the dingo haters) have people in them who are prepared to hammer to death any opinion different to the one they think everyone should hold. There are few tolerance anywhere now and you are expected to fit into a definite camp. To have the view of the UK and Aus being equal, just different, it tantamount to heresy within these forums now. IMO, people need to experience it for themselves, form their own opinions, live by their decisons, stay or go as they decide - nothing anyone else says should really have an influence on how YOU live YOUR life. No-ones circumstances, reason, choices, decisions will be the same as your own. It is the classic "one mans meat is another mans poison". You can only know if it's for you by coming and living it. Give it some time, you might end up liking it, if not, there's a whole other world out there for you.
Good post
Old May 23rd 2007, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

storms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant future

I occasionally go into the MBTTUK. I think it is good to here all sides, and it does make you realise that things aren't always going to be great, emotions can be strong and loneliness can happen.

I have already made one move from the UK, and we haven't lived there for the last 7 years, we move to Australia in August, and I am glad I found BE for help and advise.

Take from it what you need and read all posts as a way of gaining information and insight.

Storms
Old May 23rd 2007, 8:06 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
I don't get the impression he intended it as a dig, Polly. Was just struck by what you said and wondered how others (how may not read that section of the site) felt about it. FWIW, I think you're a great mod and put up with a lot of shit on here in a friendly and fair-minded way.
Originally Posted by tracey.d
I agree with Hutch.
Thanks - and thanks to all the others who stick up for me

I do try very hard to be impartial - I've always recognised that one person's dream is another one's nightmare, and one of the reasons why I was invited to be a Mod was because I can usually see the middle road, even if its not one I'm travelling on.

FWIW, I actually like Australia at the moment.....couple of days off, some good Tassie beer in hand, pleasant temps - its like a UK summer here, new job looming, drinks with friends tomorrow - who says I'm always negative
Old May 23rd 2007, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Thanks - and thanks to all the others who stick up for me

I do try very hard to be impartial - I've always recognised that one person's dream is another one's nightmare, and one of the reasons why I was invited to be a Mod was because I can usually see the middle road, even if its not one I'm travelling on.

FWIW, I actually like Australia at the moment.....couple of days off, some good Tassie beer in hand, pleasant temps - its like a UK summer here, new job looming, drinks with friends tomorrow - who says I'm always negative
You can't be all things to all people Polly. You can only post your own experiences.

It's well known that you don't love Australia yet you always try to be positive.

Enjoy your days off, and your beer, hope to have a beer or two with you myself one day

Still thinking about the Northside but swinging between there and Bayside Daughter keeps moaning at me to make my mind up, so she can decide what school she wants to go to

Tracey.
Old May 23rd 2007, 8:55 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by tracey.d
You can't be all things to all people Polly. You can only post your own experiences.

It's well known that you don't love Australia yet you always try to be positive.

Enjoy your days off, and your beer, hope to have a beer or two with you myself one day

Still thinking about the Northside but swinging between there and Bayside Daughter keeps moaning at me to make my mind up, so she can decide what school she wants to go to

Tracey.
I'm sure we'll manage to get together, even if you are "down south"
Old May 23rd 2007, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Polly is commenting on MTBUK as to how more people should have taken more heed of some cautionary posters when they were back in UK.

I distinctly remember thinking, where are these people living? I still do!

I also had the advantage of having lived here for a year already when I found expats.

1) What did you think when you read them? Did being here help?

2) Do people think they just got lucky?

3) Do people feel that all these cautionary tales could have applied to them
if they were in a different job/town/state?

4) Do people feel it really is all personal taste (as always)?

5) Do some people mitigate the problems better than others?

6) Do some people give up?

Lets hear facts people, not emotion!

cheers

B
I used to read the MTBUK section to try and see the other side but it's generally not very balanced and mostly more personal reasons, it seems to help the people on there though to that's got to be good for them. Personally I think you have to read everything, research and then ultimately make your own mind up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.