Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What did you find when you started packing??

What did you find when you started packing??

Old Aug 12th 2005, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice
Default What did you find when you started packing??

Hi

had a very strange day today,

the jist is we have sold the house, been here 19 years and had 5 kids, not got the visa but start a new job in Oz in January.

So today we started clearing the attic........ 19 years of history and sentimentality!!

Kids have laughed I have cried,

found records the kids didnt know what they were... bought up with cds so now we got to set up the player we founknow d up there and play the records for them so 'they know what olden day music is like'

Wedding dress......girls been dressing up in it...wish I could have got in it!! lol

found some old brook bond tea cards and books.

loads of stuff we kept for......what???

so now its done car boot on Sunday to sell some so that we can try and get everything in one container!!! lol

wondered what you found when you cleared yours

Chris
Old Aug 12th 2005, 9:20 pm
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all
Default Re: What did you find when you started packing??

I enjoyed sitting there looking at the kids wrist bands from hospital, first shoes, first dress etc when I should of been sorting out and getting organised!!!! Painted and drawn pictures that th kids had done at playgroup and newspaper cuttings when they appeared in them. Memories or what!!!! (and they're only 10 & 6)!!!!

Lorraine
Old Aug 12th 2005, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

What we found is that we have got to much stuff
Old Aug 12th 2005, 9:51 pm
Here at last

Location: Now here in sunny Sandy Beach, near Coffs Harbour, N.S.W.)
TheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really nice

Originally Posted by karenjc
What we found is that we have got to much stuff
Ditto. We said we weren't taking much......140 boxes later!!!
Old Aug 12th 2005, 10:03 pm
NEO LIVES

CORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TheRossers
I didn't find anything when we were packing ( decluttering). I just came home from work and each day I would notice something had gone missing. To the great bin in the sky..?? :scared:

My total contribution to my suitcase so far is a big swiss army knife and a windup radio..

I think that must be about my 32kg luggage allowance all gone then.

CORKER
Old Aug 12th 2005, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

I just emptied my attic a couple of days ago too. Although I wish I hadn't it's unbelievable what you hide away.. I also came across my wedding dress nd old halloween costumes that I made for them all when they were little .

The best thing though was to find all the old drawings that the girls done when they were in nursery etc. They are now 16 and 14 and fight like cat and dog or don't bother talking. When they came across this box though they were sat downstairs with their brother and they were all laughing away at their efforts.

The funniest things were a card that my sister had sent to my oldest daughter for her birthday. We found the other day that she had crossed out the writing in it and wrote. " Miss Brearley I love you from Hayley". She must have been 5 or 6 at the time as this was a teacher she had in Primary for 2 years running. What is so funny is that we moved out of the area and a few years later the same teacher turned up in the secondary school that my kids go to, to teach art. After my younger daughter threatened to expose the card, Hayley is going to take it in to show the teacher in question. She is sooooo embarrassed

They also had a good laugh at my other daughters writing. She is left handed and always wrote everything right to left, so although she could spell she used to write her name eilataN (natalie) and loohcs (school) etc. I had actually forgotten that she did that until the girls showed me.

My oldest daughter was obviously obsessed with smoking from a very early age, every picture that she drew of a person seemed to have a fag hanging out of its mouth :scared: . I used to smoke when they were little so she says that I was a bad influence .

I'm looking forward to going through my sons box of pictures. Not that he ever brought many home.

We also went through some old photos that we haven't looked through for years, although not all of them. We have packed them now but are really looking forward to sorting them out and putting them all in albums when we get to Australia.

I am so glad that I kept their pictures. I know loads of people who put their childrens artwork on the fridge for a few days and then put it in the bin when the child isn't looking. I have never thrown one single picture out, much to my husbands annoyance. he could never understand why I kept every little scrap. He often tried to persuade me to whittle them down a bit, but I refused. My brother also thinks that I am mad for shipping them all over to australia but I don't care. I'm not taking my tv, suite or anything like that as they can be replaced but my pictures are priceless. They even managed to bring my girls together albeit for a short while and I am sure that they will get a laugh out of them for many years!!!

I sound a bit demented now don't I

Tracey
Old Aug 12th 2005, 10:29 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

A rubix cube

And guess what? I still couldn't bloody do it
Old Aug 12th 2005, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
A rubix cube

And guess what? I still couldn't bloody do it
PMSL .

There's 2 ways to do it:
1. Peel all the stickers off and stick them back on again

or

2. Pull it to bits and then put it all back together again.

That's how I used to do it!

These methods don't work for long however. Either the stickers lose their sticky or the bloody thing just falls apart

Tracey
Old Aug 12th 2005, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice

Originally Posted by TheRossers

HOW MUCH?????
Old Aug 12th 2005, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tracey.d
PMSL .

There's 2 ways to do it:
1. Peel all the stickers off and stick them back on again

or

2. Pull it to bits and then put it all back together again.

That's how I used to do it!

These methods don't work for long however. Either the stickers lose their sticky or the bloody thing just falls apart

Tracey
Now thats cheating lol.

Did it once broke the flaming thing!! had to buy another didnt do it again!! lol
Old Aug 12th 2005, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Chris Mitchell
HOW MUCH?????
I know. I was hoping it was a typing error :scared:
Old Aug 12th 2005, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

I just emptied my attic a couple of days ago too. Although I wish I hadn't it's unbelievable what you hide away.. I also came across my wedding dress nd old halloween costumes that I made for them all when they were little .

The best thing though was to find all the old drawings that the girls done when they were in nursery etc. They are now 16 and 14 and fight like cat and dog or don't bother talking. When they came across this box though they were sat downstairs with their brother and they were all laughing away at their efforts.

The funniest things were a card that my sister had sent to my oldest daughter for her birthday. We found the other day that she had crossed out the writing in it and wrote. " Miss Brearley I love you from Hayley". She must have been 5 or 6 at the time as this was a teacher she had in Primary for 2 years running. What is so funny is that we moved out of the area and a few years later the same teacher turned up in the secondary school that my kids go to, to teach art. After my younger daughter threatened to expose the card, Hayley is going to take it in to show the teacher in question. She is sooooo embarrassed

They also had a good laugh at my other daughters writing. She is left handed and always wrote everything right to left, so although she could spell she used to write her name eilataN (natalie) and loohcs (school) etc. I had actually forgotten that she did that until the girls showed me.

My oldest daughter was obviously obsessed with smoking from a very early age, every picture that she drew of a person seemed to have a fag hanging out of its mouth :scared: . I used to smoke when they were little so she says that I was a bad influence .

I'm looking forward to going through my sons box of pictures. Not that he ever brought many home.

We also went through some old photos that we haven't looked through for years, although not all of them. We have packed them now but are really looking forward to sorting them out and putting them all in albums when we get to Australia.

I am so glad that I kept their pictures. I know loads of people who put their childrens artwork on the fridge for a few days and then put it in the bin when the child isn't looking. I have never thrown one single picture out, much to my husbands annoyance. he could never understand why I kept every little scrap. He often tried to persuade me to whittle them down a bit, but I refused. My brother also thinks that I am mad for shipping them all over to australia but I don't care. I'm not taking my tv, suite or anything like that as they can be replaced but my pictures are priceless. They even managed to bring my girls together albeit for a short while and I am sure that they will get a laugh out of them for many years!!!

I sound a bit demented now don't I

Tracey
No not demented maybe a bit obsessive compulsive!!!

after 5 i have had to be very hard today and have thrown old chrismas cards since 1980 birthday cards had kept them all upto about 5 years ago when hubby revolted and said there was no more room!!! misery lol

we have laughed at kids dressed up in my wedding dress....... bit of embarrassment when they asked what the silver handcuffs were for!! lol
Old Aug 12th 2005, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nice

I know. I was hoping it was a typing error :scared:

Don't worry Tracey!
Last week affter 20 trips to the tip, 10 trips to the hospice shop, - our packers arrived and packed 284 boxes and cartons into the container :scared: yes thats not a typo - 284
Old Aug 12th 2005, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Paylia
Don't worry Tracey!
Last week affter 20 trips to the tip, 10 trips to the hospice shop, - our packers arrived and packed 284 boxes and cartons into the container :scared: yes thats not a typo - 284

That is really scary!!!

didnt think there would be so many i was thinking 1 x each room and 1x each person but think perhaps i have underestimated.

Hope pickfords did a better job when they quoted.

Chris
Old Aug 12th 2005, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Paylia
Don't worry Tracey!

Hi just noticed you are in lincolnshire where abouts are you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.