Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What did you do whilst shipping?

What did you do whilst shipping?

Old Jan 14th 2005, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What did you do whilst shipping?

Originally Posted by Jacko1
Just give them a temporary address, where you are staying when you first get here, then change address when you move.

Thats what we did.

Paul J
Thanks for that.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 1:03 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

I did not have the problem because MrsD already had a furnished house here, so I sent my stuff just before I left and made do for the last week I was there, sleeping on a borrowed campbed and eating lots of takeaway.

From previous discussions on here there are really a couple of ways you can approach it and which best suits will depend on personal circumstances. If you can borrow the bare essentials from friends and family, then ship it all so it is here when you arrive or shortly thereafter. It will generally be easier to borrow stuff back in the UK where you know people and also you will know where to go to get cheap crap to tide you over the last few weeks camping in your empty house. Or go stay with relatives.

The other option is to send it just before you leave, which means that if you do not stop off to see the world on the way, you will be here with nothing for about 6 to 10 weeks. There is furnished accommodation available, but it is not common. Short term furnished (serviced appartments, holiday accommodation or similar) will set you back about $500 - $1000 a week, depending on location, facilities and season. Long term furnished houses to rent - I have not seen any, so do not know what you would pay.

Most rentals are unfurnished and require at least a 6 month contract. If you can cope with "camping" when you get here, then rent a place and furnish it in the minimalist style. I know a family here that did that. They bought a new outdoor setting and used that inside until the container arrived. They bought a couple of futons for beds (which now serve as lounges/spare beds) in the kids' play room.

The biggest problem is possibly white goods, though many people do not ship those so need to buy new anyway. It is possible to rent furniture and appliances - but it strikes me as a poor economy.

Anyway, whatever you decide, good luck.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Jan 14th 2005, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

Kingpin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tracey.d
This may sound stupid but here goes. I have looked at a few websites re shipping items. They all seem to state that you need to put your forwarding address. What do you do if you don't know where that is going to be. I plan on sorting that out when I arrive. This kind of puts me off shipping my stuff.

Do they just give you a reference number or something so that you can inform them later? (I think I may have just answered my own question!!!)
Hi there we are using exsses baggage you dont need to put down a address we have not we will be there well ahead of our stuff so when we are soted we will give them the address