Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What did you do when you saw your first Hunstman?

What did you do when you saw your first Hunstman?

Old Feb 22nd 2010, 4:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What did you do when you saw your first Hunstman?

Scarey but not as big as the trapdoors they are much more scarey........ leave the Huntsman alone they eat the other spiders
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

sybilipicus is an unknown quantity at this point

Had to reply to this thread!

First spider I saw was a wolf spider (about the same size as a huntsman) and it crawled up the fence where I was weeding. I am stereotypically English about eight legged creatures and so bravely took 3 steps back and yelled for the husband who asked me 'are you sure it's a spider?' but did concede it was big.

Second spider experience was horrific-was putting green waste in the bags for the tip...didn't realise I'd strayed to a pile of bark that had been cleared from under a bush near a fence! I picked up a tube bit of bark and snapped it in half to fit in the bag...and little spiders swarmed everywhere (there were about 40 or 50 of them)..I dropped the bark...the husband prodded it with his fork and the mother was still in there with the egg sac I'd just hatched (or had been unfortunate enough to pick up as it hatched!). We thought it was another wolf spider at first (it ended up on the end of a fork so was difficult to identify!) but we think it was a huntsman nest as fitted more with their habits!! Can still feel things crawling all over me just thinking about it!!

The husband is an Aussie and even he thought that picking up a spiders nest plus 'mum' and having them swarming everywhere was an experience he wouldn't particularly like!!

Bear in mind I've only been living in Australia for a couple of months and I think you'll agree I've had more than my fair share of spider incidents!! :0) So far so good I haven't seen one inside as yet!!!
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 6:28 am
Lancs to central coast

simnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud of

I've posted these before but I like them, the first huntsman was on son Max's window.
The best one I found at 10.15 am after morning brew at work (BMW dealership) as I was walking across workshop floor I felt something sticking into my upper inner right thigh, I brushed my pants thinking it was a splinter & felt a big lump in my pants (nothing new there) which started to move upwards quickly, so I grabbed the lump & ripped my pants off to find a huntsman stuck to the inside leg of my keks, when I looked in my car I found a web in the footwell near pedals, so it must have been there since 8 am at least
3rd one legged it up the screen of a bike when I was changing headlight bulb, sadly none of them survived our encounter.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do when you saw your first Hunstman?-dsc01447.jpg   What did you do when you saw your first Hunstman?-simon-005.jpg   What did you do when you saw your first Hunstman?-08052009303.jpg  
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 8:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
What does that mean? That she will scream much more loudly?
Um, she said she'll will have to get used to them again just like in Africa.

Living in UK for so long, we've become complacent about wildlife.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to all

We saw a few smaller ones when we first arrived but i clearly met the " Daddy " whilst alone in the house, with my husband away abroad. (toddler son asleep). It was late at night and i was making a cup of tea when it ran from underneath me towards the TV and straight up the wall. This thing i kid you not ..was the size of my hand !! After an hour of repeated attempts at throwing things at it ..then running away Lee Evans style.. i remembered i had a can of Mortein !!! (doh ). So after cornering it in my bedroom, i sprayed it good ..but then had to endure THE MOST AWFUL screaming noise from the bloody thing ..so emptied the can on it ..still screamed... so in the end i threw the can at it and ran out the room..squirming and squealing..then came back and watched it from the crack in the door ..until it stopped moving..!!
My poor husband then endured a very early hours phonecall which involved an ear-bashing for being away whilst we were invaded my gigantic mutant spiders from the film Aracnophobia and how did he propose i get rid of the giant carcass in the bedroom !!! It was definately my "Welcome to Australia" !!!
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Soil my trousers.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 9:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I was disappointed that they did not look like the very tarantulas I had expected them to be. Even now, whilst I've seen some fine specimens, none have ever impressed me. Irritated me, got me out of a warm and toasty bed, maybe.

I did get a fright when one fell off the visor as I was negotiating a bend at 80k.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 10:35 am
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold

I found one in the garage when I was little (5,6?) and was allowed to keep it overnight so I could take it in to school for Show & Tell the next day. Was very excited and made what I thought was a lovely home for him in an ice cream container with leaves and stuff. Called him Bertie. Unfortunately I didn't put enough (any?) air holes in the container lid and when I went for the big reveal in school Bertie was found dead!!! Very upsetting, still feel guilty about it to this day.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 11:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

I think a little bit of poo actually came out.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 12:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
I think a little bit of poo actually came out.
Spiders poo?
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

CrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud ofCrunchieFrog has much to be proud of

When i see a huntman I think wow what a beautiful creature and I leave it alone. They are welcome in my home as they catch pests that i dont want around such as roaches. Same with geckos, they're free to come and go and eat the things i dont want around like the mozzies that find their way in.

Killing something that is harmless, and in fact can be benefical, is stupid.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 1:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CrunchieFrog
When i see a huntman I think wow what a beautiful creature and I leave it alone. They are welcome in my home as they catch pests that i dont want around such as roaches. Same with geckos, they're free to come and go and eat the things i dont want around like the mozzies that find their way in.

Well said,

Both Huntsman's and gecko's are welcome guests at my place
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 1:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
My wife dug out the steamer gadget from the shed this weekend and completely freaked when the box contained 3-4 smallish English spiders.

I asked her what on earth she would do when she sees a Huntsman in Oz.

She said she'll adapt.
When I saw my first "Hunstman", I threw a dictionary at it
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 2:22 am
Chelle66

Chelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really nice

Originally Posted by CrunchieFrog

Totally agree with you Crunchie. I'm not actually afraid of spiders, but I do proceed with caution. The only spiders I'm prepared to kill are redbacks and whitetails, for obvious reasons. But all other spiders, including the huntsman and all geckos are welcome at our place too. We have a regular gecko visitor here. We think he's living behind the dartboard. He's been here for so long now, that we've called him Gary, lol.

And we once had a huntsman that we named Herman.

Last edited by Chelle66; Feb 23rd 2010 at 2:24 am. Reason: Add on
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 2:37 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

My first huntsman was seen hovering above a bed in a holiday house. There was a shrill scream from my SIL (Philippino-Australian of 10 years at the time) before a broomhandle was swiftly administered creating a satifying 'crunch' noise. I watched from a respectful distance - remained calm and intrigued.

Subsequent encounters have envolved chasing the damn things around (they move FAST once they want to dont they?) unsuccesfully trying to spray them with stuff (including a deoderant can based flame thrower).

I had limited success with the vacuum cleaner - but the 'clunk-clunk-crunch' as they rattle up the hose and encounter a grisly death at the hands of machinery seems a bit unnecessary.

Nowadays I tend to leave them alone unless they're hovering with intent somewhere with potential for discomfort.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.