Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What did you do when you saw your first Hunstman?

What did you do when you saw your first Hunstman?

Old Feb 21st 2010, 6:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Question What did you do when you saw your first Hunstman?

My wife dug out the steamer gadget from the shed this weekend and completely freaked when the box contained 3-4 smallish English spiders.

I asked her what on earth she would do when she sees a Huntsman in Oz.

She said she'll adapt.

Last edited by Alfresco; Feb 21st 2010 at 6:21 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Dann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really niceDann2000 is just really nice
Default Re: What did you do when you saw your first Hunstman?

Originally Posted by Alfresco
My wife dug out the steamer gadget from the shed this weekend and completely freaked when the box contained 3-4 smallish English spiders.

She said she'll adapt.
My daughter found a tiny spider in her bedroom today (we are still in UK) and screamed the house down, I think she would be heard in the next town if it was the size of her hand!!!!! Should be interesting when it does happen.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 6:53 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

She said she'll adapt.
Our first one was just a baby. Middlechild played footie and I was taking him and 2 of his friends up the Sunshine coast for a match. I got in the car and one of the kids was getting in the back when he said 'ooh, look, a baby huntsman'

It was on the back of my seat.. I have never moved so fast in my life.

We all got out.. except the spider, naturally, which ran off under my car seat. The neighbours must have been overjoyed at so much free entertainment in one place. I was stood crying (tsk at me ) on the driveway while 3 kids - 1 Pom and 2 Kiwis - tried to a) find the bleeding thing again and b) remove it from the car. Eldestchild came outside to see what the commotion was about and disappeared quickly back inside when we told him - yes, I have given him my arachnaphobia too.

They had absolutely no success despite their patented spider catching method of moving my car seat back and forward and shoving a vacuum nozzle under it 'to encourage it out' so pretty much an entire can of "spidakilla" was sprayed into the car and I wouldn't get back in until I was sure it was dead (and the fumes had dispersed enough so we wouldn't asphyxiate!) One of the Kiwis tried to explain that 'it's ok Dreamy, it's not a deadly one, we'll be fine'

I explained back that if it ran at me whilst travelling at 110km up the Bruce Hwy, then it would be a deadly one because the car would probably go off the road. Eventually I was persuaded that it was safe once more.. but all the way there and more particularly all the way back through the dark, dark, spider friendly night, I was positive I could feel the flipping thing crawling up my leg.

And they lost their game!

p.s. I'm much better now
Old Feb 21st 2010, 7:19 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

I think our first one was in our mailbox, again it was a baby one (but still much bigger than UK spiders!!). I called my daughter out to check it out, then our friends kids came to check it out too and poke it with a stick!! haha...

When my mum came over for a visit she was freaked out by them, but I kept telling her not to worry as we never see them! Then when we were driving one day she suddenly started screaming as one was crawling down her window!!! We still dont know if it was inside or outside. I had to pull the car over, for 2 reasons, 1. because I was wetting myself laughing so much and 2. because she was literally trying to sit on my lap to get away from it!!! ahhhhh.... happy days!

Last edited by Mrs Jackaroo; Feb 21st 2010 at 7:21 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 8:29 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What did you do when you saw your first Hunstman?

I took a photo of it and asked my 4 year old daughters what name we should give it.... they came up with "Hunty".

Buzzy
Old Feb 21st 2010, 8:34 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Our first house huntsman was called Harry
Old Feb 21st 2010, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

I hit it with a shoe. My husband was on his first lads night out and I was home alone. I saw it sat there in the middle of the living room and it was only me and my then 12month old son, so there was no one to help!

I put trainers on each hand and kept bashing until his legs stopped moving.

P.S I am terrified of spiders!
Old Feb 21st 2010, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

seanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to all

My first enoucnter was a scary one, luckily I had had a few beers and we had friends around who didnt mind catching it.

Took some pics though before I threw it into my neighbours garden who I cant stand

I hate spiders! We killed another one with a broom yesterday, took about 5 swipes!

What did you do when you saw your first Hunstman?-spidey3.jpg

What did you do when you saw your first Hunstman?-spidey1.jpg

What did you do when you saw your first Hunstman?-spoidey2.jpg
Old Feb 21st 2010, 10:48 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Nearly wet myself laughing at my husband who was screaming like a girl. The stupid spider was outside on the patio doors but you would have thought it was attacking him with a hammer the way he went on about it!
Old Feb 21st 2010, 10:53 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

literally shat myself, I was sitting on a long drop at the time and it was on the back of the door! size of a tea plate
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 12:19 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

She said she'll adapt.
What does that mean? That she will scream much more loudly?
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 12:30 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't see it but my OH batted it off my shoulder as I was going for my first job interview ... that was the last time I hung a jacket so close to the ceiling.

Then there was the one that crawled out from behind the car wing-mirror as I was driving to Brisbane with the window down ...

Being a bit more rural I've developed a tolerance but I'm still not keen ...
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 12:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seanpears99
My first enoucnter was a scary one, luckily I had had a few beers and we had friends around who didnt mind catching it.

Took some pics though before I threw it into my neighbours garden who I cant stand

I hate spiders! We killed another one with a broom yesterday, took about 5 swipes!
Aaaaaaaaaaarghhhh! Its the hairy legs I can't stand . . . .

. . . . with socks!

Huntsmen on the other hand, hold no fear for me whatsoever . . . .

Last edited by spartacus; Feb 22nd 2010 at 12:48 am.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 12:59 am
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of

I did my best river dance impression

Paddy
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

showdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really nice

Our first one was on the garage wall. I bravely chased it out with the tape measure extended out to about 2 metres.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do when you saw your first Hunstman?-spider1.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.