Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What did you do?

What did you do?

Old Apr 12th 2007, 11:04 am
Just Joined

pirates 4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What did you do?

We can get in on a 495 Skilled Independent Visa.
Our dilemma is its only a temporary visa. I know many have gone with this visa, but the thought of moving with not having permanent residency scares the c##p out of me. We will (as many have) need to sell up to make the move. My OH is a telecom engineer and as yet we have not had much positive feedback about this profession within Australia. Unfortunately my skill as a teaching assistant is not recognized and i'm not sure wether he will make enough to support a family of four.
Have others rented for the 2 - 3 years before they got their permanent residency. Not sure i want to spend our savings on rent for a few years and then find we need a mortgage once wer'e in the position to buy.
Please give honest advice on what you have done.
We had decided over the Easter holidays to forget the move and make the best in the UK, but there's something nagging in my head that says maybe we should give it a go!
Old Apr 12th 2007, 11:31 am
SJR
Forum Regular

SJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to all
Default Re: What did you do?

Hi

We went for an SIR visa as it was our only option. When we first looked into it we could get PR but then the points system changed. We've been here (250 miles south of Perth) for 16 months now and we will be able to start the application for PR around October this year.

We've been renting since we arrived here as we left our house in the UK with a tenant in. We are hoping to buy over here (before having PR) as our house sale should go through within the next few weeks.

Obviously PR would have been a better option but really it's fine on the SIR visa and we've now fulfilled the conditions of the visa so it should be straightforward. Also, I don't think it costs very much. Someone on one of the BE threads quoted me $185 for the family (there's 4 of us).

Good luck whatever you decide.

Sandra
Old Apr 12th 2007, 11:45 am
Just Joined

Do you pay higher tax on the SIR visa? and if so is this a large amount?
And are you covered with healthcare on this visa - I'v read mixed reviews about the cover of healthcare. Have you gone through an agent to rent your house out back in UK. Not sure if i'd fancy renting the house out though, but suppose it's an option that we could look into.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 11:59 am
SJR
Forum Regular

SJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to all

Originally Posted by pirates 4
Do you pay higher tax on the SIR visa? and if so is this a large amount?
And are you covered with healthcare on this visa - I'v read mixed reviews about the cover of healthcare. Have you gone through an agent to rent your house out back in UK. Not sure if i'd fancy renting the house out though, but suppose it's an option that we could look into.
Regarding tax - no we don't pay higher tax. We looked into it when we got here and it turned out that for tax purposes we are classed as a resident.

Medicare is a bit of a pain as we don't qualify for that. In saying that we've not had any real health problems. I had to have a few blood tests which cos around $100. It costs us $52 if we have a docs appt. The biggest cost has been dental treatment, again for me. Most of the dental work I have had done has been down to choice rather than necessity.

We used an agent to find a tenant for our house but the management side of it has been done by a friend, we gave her what we would have paid to the agents, 10% - £90pm. It's been nice having the peace of mind knowing that it's managed by someone who actually cares!

My husband wanted to sell our house before we left but I just couldn't. Knowing my personality it would have made it harder for me to settle here knowing that I didn't have my house in the UK. It sounds a bit strange I suppose! At least I knew when I did decide to sell that it was the right time for me, nothing was forced on me. It just felt right for me.

You are probably already aware of the fact that you need sponsorship from the state you intend to go to. We decided that we would see if we could get that first then take it to the next stage. For the state to sponsor you there has to be a need for your skills (or your husbands).

Let me know if there's anything else you want to know.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

We can get into Adelaide with our SIR. Not sure if we would have chosen this area, but then again we didn't have any idea on where to live anyway. Did you have family over there before you moved? The only people we know are friends that moved to Sydney las Aug.
My OH is rather dubious about the move as looking at the job spec Aus is years behind the UK in telecoms and the way they do things. What does your OH do, and did he find getting a job easy?
What a great idea about having a friend to deal with the management side of leasing your house. My sister would be great at that for us! How old are your children our are 9&6. Do you feel you made the right move as a family even on the SRI visa. Sorry for all the questions, but I need all the advice I can get.
Thanks
Pam
Old Apr 12th 2007, 12:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

We can get into Adelaide with our SIR. Not sure if we would have chosen this area, but then again we didn't have any idea on where to live anyway. Did you have family over there before you moved? The only people we know are friends that moved to Sydney las Aug.
My OH is rather dubious about the move as looking at the job spec Aus is years behind the UK in telecoms and the way they do things. What does your OH do, and did he find getting a job easy?
What a great idea about having a friend to deal with the management side of leasing your house. My sister would be great at that for us! How old are your children our are 9&6. Do you feel you made the right move as a family even on the SRI visa. Sorry for all the questions, but I need all the advice I can get.
Thanks
Pam
Hi, yes the Telecoms is pretty archaic out here. BB is almost none existent at the minute (that's what you get when there's no competition though )

I can't help much with the work or visa side of things. but if you want to know anything about SA feel free to ask me anything. I've been here since last July.

Is telecoms engineer on the SA shortage list?, if it is have you thought about state sponership (the STNI 137 visa) which is permanent?
Old Apr 12th 2007, 12:58 pm
SJR
Forum Regular

Thanks
Pam
We have 2 daughters, they were 8 and 9 when we moved. Yes, we definately made the right move for our family, no regrets. It's not easy though, you have to prepare for a few months of feeling rough! Our girls have been fine though, no problems/issues at all, they love it here.

We hadn't been to Albany before we moved over. We have friends in Perth and we'd been there. We didn't have jobs or anything sorted, except the school. My OH is a software developer. Yes things are a little behind but in many ways that's a good thing!

We know some people in Adelaide, they moved out a few weeks before us. We met up with them in January as we were on holiday in that area....they love it!!

No we didn't have any family, we didn't know anybody!

Sandra
Old Apr 12th 2007, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

Not sure if telecoms engineer on the SA shortage list?, but we have spoken to emigration agent and this is what they are recommending we can get out on. I don't know anything about state sponsership (the STNI 137 visa) which is permanent, could you enlighten me on this in any way.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 1:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if telecoms engineer on the SA shortage list?, but we have spoken to emigration agent and this is what they are recommending we can get out on. I don't know anything about state sponsership (the STNI 137 visa) which is permanent, could you enlighten me on this in any way.

I'll have a look into it for you and get back to you
Old Apr 12th 2007, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Wendy
Appreciate your help
Pam
Old Apr 12th 2007, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

djfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wendy
I'll have a look into it for you and get back to you
What would peeps do on here without Wendy - Good on yer girl
Old Apr 12th 2007, 1:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks Wendy
Appreciate your help
Pam
No problem. I have sent you a Private Message

Originally Posted by djfbug
What would peeps do on here without Wendy - Good on yer girl
Well I can only look on the websites. Unfortunately I can't change the rules, so if the SIR is the only option then there's not much I can do about it
Old Apr 12th 2007, 2:43 pm
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Pam
It was me last week with a case of the wobbles now its you - we are gonna do it one way or another - we'll crate Michael up with John n we'll get em there together - me n john had a big blow up about it the other day n he said we wernt goin - i fink we are - no options.
A lady was tellin me she went to a seminar and they advised her to go to New Zealand first - could be an option.
Anyway ive no credit so i cant text you - have a good weekend n see you Monday.
Loads of love
Sam xxx