What a day!!!!

Old Oct 8th 2005, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

cov kids will become famous soon enough
Unhappy What a day!!!!

Well it's raining, dark and miserable. Told the kids this morning about moving to Australia, and told my parents about 1hour ago. (and I still feel sick). The oldest son was not keen (he is 9) but then we said we could go to the beach and maybe have a pool in the back garden (blackmail is great!!!!). He is coming round to the idea. The youngest (he is 6) was fine all he said was he could build lots of sandcastles. And my parents!!! Why do you always dread telling them things, I knew exactly what my mum would say and I was right. "If thats what you want to do, you must do it". My dad he said "don't sell your house in case it all goes t*ts up". Don't parents make you feel great!!!!!

And this is before we even put in our TRA, which has made us even more determined by my parents reaction. We are going to post it off next week.

Right a bottle of wine is in order I think. If anyone wants to cheer us up please do so. And any advice about how they dealt with the parents and kids it would be much appreciated.

Michaela

Old Oct 8th 2005, 3:28 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What a day!!!!

Originally Posted by cov kids
Well it's raining, dark and miserable. Told the kids this morning about moving to Australia, and told my parents about 1hour ago. (and I still feel sick). The oldest son was not keen (he is 9) but then we said we could go to the beach and maybe have a pool in the back garden (blackmail is great!!!!). He is coming round to the idea. The youngest (he is 6) was fine all he said was he could build lots of sandcastles. And my parents!!! Why do you always dread telling them things, I knew exactly what my mum would say and I was right. "If thats what you want to do, you must do it". My dad he said "don't sell your house in case it all goes t*ts up". Don't parents make you feel great!!!!!

And this is before we even put in our TRA, which has made us even more determined by my parents reaction. We are going to post it off next week.

Right a bottle of wine is in order I think. If anyone wants to cheer us up please do so. And any advice about how they dealt with the parents and kids it would be much appreciated.

Michaela

Oh Boy!!!!

Goodluck & dont give up,its bloody hard sometimes but worth it

Donna.
Old Oct 8th 2005, 3:31 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Michaela

We did the same as you, telling our folks right at the start. My mother was upset but understood it was something we wanted to do (and always knew in the back of her mind that it would come up one dat soon). The in-laws didn't take it quite so well and it was months before we could talk about it in front of my mother-in-law.

You have to let them come around in their own way, you can't force them to like the idea. We have no kids so that made it easier but in your case you just have to protect your kids from any bad vibes. Read some of the horror stories on here where granny has tried to blackmail the kids. just awful

We actually lived with the inlaws for a while between selling our house and moving out here. I think that did us all good in a way because we could spend some quality time with them and they could see our plans close up and how excited we were about the move.

Enjoy the wine
Old Oct 8th 2005, 3:38 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wmoore
We did the same as you, telling our folks right at the start. My mother was upset but understood it was something we wanted to do (and always knew in the back of her mind that it would come up one dat soon). The in-laws didn't take it quite so well and it was months before we could talk about it in front of my mother-in-law.

You have to let them come around in their own way, you can't force them to like the idea. We have no kids so that made it easier but in your case you just have to protect your kids from any bad vibes. Read some of the horror stories on here where granny has tried to blackmail the kids. just awful

We actually lived with the inlaws for a while between selling our house and moving out here. I think that did us all good in a way because we could spend some quality time with them and they could see our plans close up and how excited we were about the move.

Enjoy the wine
This is excellent advice. Not easy telling parents and you can't win either way. If they are happy for you, you feel guilty and if they are sad that you are moving away, you feel bad.

Like you said, let them deal with it in their own way and eventually they come round.
Old Oct 8th 2005, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

I know they will come round it's going to take time. But we want to make a better life for us all. My husbands mum was fine she thought it was great idea. We have yet to tell his dad. (they are not together). What makes it worse is my mum only lives 10 doors away and takes the kids to school, and she said my brothers want to go to Australia too.

I think she is really upset too. When we said will you come out to see us she said maybe.

What is a girl supposed to do.
Old Oct 8th 2005, 3:46 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

They will come round when they're ready. Even my dad did, and his original comments - on being told I was marrying an Aussie - were along the lines of "its a long way to run home when you get a divorce"
He now gets on really well with the Bloke, and while he would probably prefer me to be living in Somerset, he has accepted that its my life and my decision.
As for the kids - I know loads of people whose kids have adapted really well, and would never want to go back now. The only advice (as a non-parent) that I would give is - don't promise what they can't have. I remember a thread about a year ago where children were promised dogs/ponies/pools/sheep farms/the earth and of course their parents couldn't produce the goods in the end.
One child who sticks in my mind really clearly did NOT want to move and was really sullen and moody. After a couple of weeks at school here he completely changed his tune because the girls all fell for his "BBC" English accent!
Old Oct 8th 2005, 3:48 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

I know they will come round it's going to take time. But we want to make a better life for us all. My husbands mum was fine she thought it was great idea. We have yet to tell his dad. (they are not together). What makes it worse is my mum only lives 10 doors away and takes the kids to school, and she said my brothers want to go to Australia too.

I think she is really upset too. When we said will you come out to see us she said maybe.

What is a girl supposed to do.
At the beginning, my mother-in-law said there was no way she would fly for 24 hours. No way. Then one day she came home from shopping with a new jacket with 'Sydney' and the Oz flag on it. she said "I'll be able to wear this when I come and visit you". I told her she'd get lynched at Brisbane airport wearing that ( ) but I was stunned at the sudden turnaround.
Old Oct 8th 2005, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wmoore
At the beginning, my mother-in-law said there was no way she would fly for 24 hours. No way. Then one day she came home from shopping with a new jacket with 'Sydney' and the Oz flag on it. she said "I'll be able to wear this when I come and visit you". I told her she'd get lynched at Brisbane airport wearing that ( ) but I was stunned at the sudden turnaround.
I kown. Knowing my mum she will change her mind. We will be out there for 6 mths and she will come out for about 6 months!!!!!!
Old Oct 8th 2005, 3:56 pm
What's happening dudes?

I kown. Knowing my mum she will change her mind. We will be out there for 6 mths and she will come out for about 6 months!!!!!!
Hmm. Dunno which is worse now?
Old Oct 8th 2005, 4:05 pm

bjbrian has a spectacular aura aboutbjbrian has a spectacular aura aboutbjbrian has a spectacular aura about

That line "If thats what you want to do, you must do it" is exactly what my mum is going to say. I have already dropped some hints but I don't really think they believe that I am serious (sometimes I wonder as well but that is another matter).

If only OZ was not quite so far away.....

Brian.
Old Oct 8th 2005, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bjbrian
That line "If thats what you want to do, you must do it" is exactly what my mum is going to say. I have already dropped some hints but I don't really think they believe that I am serious (sometimes I wonder as well but that is another matter).

If only OZ was not quite so far away.....

Brian.
I worried myself sick for about 3-4 weeks just thinking about what to say. I must say though I feel alot better now I have done it. (Headache gone now).

Just get drunk and tell could be one way, I nearly did that today.

Michaela
Old Oct 8th 2005, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

I worried myself sick for about 3-4 weeks just thinking about what to say. I must say though I feel alot better now I have done it. (Headache gone now).

Just get drunk and tell could be one way, I nearly did that today.

Michaela
hi there,i told my parents just as we were getting our tra ready.my mother said to me go for it i dont blame you,my father,bless,said ican see carl and the kids go but not you ,you are a homebird.i had to remind dad that i havent lived in my home country for 16 years now and that it would be unlikely that they go without me.we have been dropping hints to the kids (8,7) for a while.the boy says things like i am allergic to the sun,he means he doesnt like the heat,and my daughter asks if her best friend that lives in england will be able to come for tea.we have yet to tell my husbands mother.husband says "you never know but she may want to join us" :scared: why,the woman doesnt even like me ,she wont even say my name but lovely husband says"we cant stop her" anyway good luck,i think he sales in dry white wine have trebled since i started this adventure.xx
Old Oct 8th 2005, 5:38 pm
Sunning it up in Benowa

Location: Body in benowa, Mind in Benowa, the whole fricking thing in benowa MAN !!!!!
Jane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Michaela,
We did it right from the start, telling family we were off for a reccie, which I think was probably a good thin coz we were gone for a month to give them all time to mull it over
Than we hit them with it when we got back(sneaky eh!!) Hubbys Mum and Dad we found hard as he has been diagnosed with bowell cancer and so we put it to them that if they felt we should stay we would.... Thankfully they didn't want that responsibility and it went quite well although his sister is angry with us as she feels we are leaving her to deal with the situation alone.
The idea is that we put some money aside and if the worst happens then Russ will come back and deal with it, maybe bringing his Mum back for a while.
My family £ sisters and mum and Dad haven't really said anything other than Well we don't know when we see you next then !!!!! Bearing in mind that 2 of them work for airlines (Emirates and BA) so they can get there for a good price. The other sister has a husband who is a banker in London (yes a banker ) so Financially she will be able to come out plus my mum and Dad are big travellers so I am sure they will be out too
Kids well I don't think it has sunk in properly but my son still says he is NOT going (he is 7). The most reaction we've had is from friends who have cried and say they are gonna find it as hard as us to say goodbye
I am sure they will come around and you just need to think what you are doing for you family and why you are doing it.
K sent
Jane xx
Old Oct 8th 2005, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone for your replies, it's nice to know we are not alone.

Michaela
XX
Old Oct 8th 2005, 5:50 pm
Sunning it up in Benowa

Location: Body in benowa, Mind in Benowa, the whole fricking thing in benowa MAN !!!!!
Jane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=cov kids]Thanks everyone for your replies, it's nice to know we are not alone.

Michaela
XX
Hiya,
Are you still coming to our meetup ??? Just wanted to check. would you do me a favour and post on the Northampton Meet 2 thread so we can move it up to encourage more people I can't Bump it coz I will get into trouble and I'm scared
Jane xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.