Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what costs taking car uk to oz??

what costs taking car uk to oz??

Old Jan 18th 2013, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default what costs taking car uk to oz??

I got offered my parents 58 plate honda cr v es ivtec motor which cost them just over £10,000 not too long ago,as a going away gift,i can give them my astra sxi astra which they might keep or trade it in for something else.
I was like no i cant,very nice of you but they keep going on about it to me,they said it will help you when you get over there and save you having to buy another car etc etc.
Now that im going with the idea my bubble maybe already burst.

As i dont know own the motor im sure i read you need to have been the owner of the motor for over 12 months which im clearly not.Ok my father has the same name would they know?

So on that rule alone its maybe not possible?

If i am allowed then can someone work out or give me a break down on what costs i would need to pay to have it shipped.and i mean all fees that would need to be paid out to get this on the road there.

What are the postives of doing this and the negs.

As they will be giving me this car for a swap with mine,i wondered what the costs would involve to import there motor vs keeping that money to import and selling my astra 2006 value approx £3500-£4000 approx and using that to buy in oz.

I have read a few posts and seems a bit much to take in all the costs,is there a calculator to work out all the charges would be,or is someone on here have the knowledge or are in this business know more.

Im just trying to figure out what this could cost me to take to oz,on what i can see approx the same motor i think is approx $22,000 approx.

But my first problem is the not having the 12 months ownership

Would be greatfull of any advise
Old Jan 18th 2013, 1:30 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what costs taking car uk to oz??

Hi Brian,

Have a look at this thread

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=784042

There's a link posted that explains all the steps you would need to do to take a car with you, but I'm sure there is something about owning it for 12 months.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 2:34 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

A 2006 Astra will cost you between $10,000 and $14,000 depending on model and condition. You will get between $5,300 and $6,100 for your Astra in the UK at today's exchange rate.

The SXI was not a model designation used in Australia, so I don't know just what to compare it to.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 3:49 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it would be a non starter as you need to prove ownership and use for 12 months, for that you need insurance documents in your name.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

Scot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to allScot_expat is a name known to all

I thought you couldn't import late model cars into Australia unless they're not sold here from showroom floor? Probably completely wrong though.

Consider some of these costs: shipping, storage, delivery, permit application, taxes, Customs duties, cleaning for quarantine purposes, quarantine inspection costs modification costs, State or Territory registration and insurance requirements.

Have a look here mate: http://www.getrouted.com.au/document...gsVSB10_07.pdf

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/veh..._overview.aspx

Personally I'd save myself the hassle and sell the Honda over there and buy something here.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 6:03 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

A migrant or returning citizen can import any car as long as they have owned and used it for 12 months and you need to be able to prove it with registration and insurance documents. There is an almost endless list of charges, taxes and duties to be paid but it can be worth it for the right car.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 9:02 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Couple of other things - the car may have to be adapted for Australia. This could include changing the miles to kms and installing extra baby seat mounts. Then there is insurance which might well be more for a "grey import". Also I think the resale value of imported cars may be lower.

BB
Old Jan 18th 2013, 9:09 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brian.w

As i dont know own the motor im sure i read you need to have been the owner of the motor for over 12 months which im clearly not.Ok my father has the same name would they know?
They will know.
Insurance papers, address on registration papers, date of birth. There's more to it than sharing the same name. You need to own it for 12 months.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

so its looking like a non starter then having not owned this for past 12 months?surely there have been others out there who have just purchased or owned there car and wanted to take it over and surely the did not have to sell it?
I have not even looked into the the costs involved into getting this over but that rule sucks to be honest not owning a car for 12 months or more.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 11:04 am
Banned

so its looking like a non starter then having not owned this for past 12 months?surely there have been others out there who have just purchased or owned there car and wanted to take it over and surely the did not have to sell it?
I have not even looked into the the costs involved into getting this over but that rule sucks to be honest not owning a car for 12 months or more.
There would no doubt have been many people who have wanted to take a car but you cant do it. Actually there are ways of doing it but only applies to cars not sold in Australia and they need to be converted to suit 'Australian conditions' and can cost upwards of 10k. Even then you have to find a business that is licensed to modify the particular model.
I agree though it is a ridiculous rule originally designed to protect the Australian motor vehicle industry.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud of

It's either needs to have been built prior to 01/01/1989, or you've owned it for 12 months.

That's it.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/veh...ons/index.aspx
Old Jan 27th 2013, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

Chris N Lora will become famous soon enoughChris N Lora will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by chris955
There would no doubt have been many people who have wanted to take a car but you cant do it. Actually there are ways of doing it but only applies to cars not sold in Australia and they need to be converted to suit 'Australian conditions' and can cost upwards of 10k. Even then you have to find a business that is licensed to modify the particular model.
I agree though it is a ridiculous rule originally designed to protect the Australian motor vehicle industry.

you are being a bit misleading, take a Holden Captivia I own exactly the same car as a vauxhall Antara and made in the same place ... when we looked at shipping our car over we had to prove ownership of over 12 months invoice can do that .. we decided not to and brought a brand new car here .... I advise to either bring it or buy new over here the second hand market it a rip off.