Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what it costs..one month in

what it costs..one month in

Old Jul 28th 2006, 1:42 am
Just Joined

ozbound2 has a brilliant futureozbound2 has a brilliant futureozbound2 has a brilliant futureozbound2 has a brilliant futureozbound2 has a brilliant futureozbound2 has a brilliant futureozbound2 has a brilliant future
Default what it costs..one month in

Hi I've been in Perth a whole month now and I know when we were getting ready to come it was hard to get any idea what things cost over here and how much to budet. If you're fairly flush I wouldnt bother reading further but I didnt have a job to come to and knew it will take time to find one so wanted to do it on a fairly tight budget. This is a fairly random list and doesnt cover everything..
Comfort Hotel Scarborough Beach 15 mins from City centre - basic but clean prices from £79 t0 $99 dollars per night. just get bed, bathroom, fridge, microwave, kettle etc
Passed a sign for Formule 1 yesterday ( french company ) $59 on Great eastern highway 15 mins south of city
short term furnished rentals hard to get - did get one in Subiaco nice house and suburb- should have been $130 per night but managed to get price down but sworn to secrecy on how much!
Saw a few rentals including filthy, very badly maintained thing in Belmont for $230pw, one in Maylands v close city centre $250pw , almost brand new, but small and a bit of dodgy neighbourhood inplaces , Now in 6 month unfurnished in Duncraig...20 mins north of city, 3 km from beach and freeway and train stration to city $250 per week ...price seems fairly average...you'll get some cheaper and some a lot more but this is 3 bed, newly carpetted, freshly painted, lovely entertaining area, good suburb
be warned tho ..it is very competitive out there...there was a 15 minute viewing slot when everyone interested had to view the property and I think they had about 8 other applications in for it..you do need to bring with you as much as possible to show you are good bet...bank balances in perth, I had letter from estate agent saying house immaculkate when sold etc..

2000 Ford Falcon 4ltr saloon $7500 ..and people say I got it cheap
Insurance ( including 19 yr old son as named driver who has to drive on P plates as he only had licence yr) $455 ( I paid £800 to put him on 1.4 corolla in UK)
RAC cover $150 dollars
Phone connection and first month line rental Telstra $95dollars
Cinema $15 adult ticket
take away food pizza, south asian etc about $20- 30 dollars for two
Most resturants are bring your won bootle /beer
pack of 24 Carlton bottles beer $44
Second hand but v good condition big fridge/freezer $490 inlc delivery
thas all for now ...will add more of I think of them
PS unless you know your house is heated throughout or super -insulated BRING ELECTRIC BLANKETS!
PPS dollar equals about 41p at the moment
Hope this helps someone!!
jane
Old Jul 28th 2006, 2:50 am
Account Closed

ELLJAY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: what it costs..one month in

Originally Posted by ozbound2
Hi I've been in Perth a whole month now and I know when we were getting ready to come it was hard to get any idea what things cost over here and how much to budet. If you're fairly flush I wouldnt bother reading further but I didnt have a job to come to and knew it will take time to find one so wanted to do it on a fairly tight budget. This is a fairly random list and doesnt cover everything..
Comfort Hotel Scarborough Beach 15 mins from City centre - basic but clean prices from £79 t0 $99 dollars per night. just get bed, bathroom, fridge, microwave, kettle etc
Passed a sign for Formule 1 yesterday ( french company ) $59 on Great eastern highway 15 mins south of city
short term furnished rentals hard to get - did get one in Subiaco nice house and suburb- should have been $130 per night but managed to get price down but sworn to secrecy on how much!
Saw a few rentals including filthy, very badly maintained thing in Belmont for $230pw, one in Maylands v close city centre $250pw , almost brand new, but small and a bit of dodgy neighbourhood inplaces , Now in 6 month unfurnished in Duncraig...20 mins north of city, 3 km from beach and freeway and train stration to city $250 per week ...price seems fairly average...you'll get some cheaper and some a lot more but this is 3 bed, newly carpetted, freshly painted, lovely entertaining area, good suburb
be warned tho ..it is very competitive out there...there was a 15 minute viewing slot when everyone interested had to view the property and I think they had about 8 other applications in for it..you do need to bring with you as much as possible to show you are good bet...bank balances in perth, I had letter from estate agent saying house immaculkate when sold etc..

Insurance ( including 19 yr old son as named driver who has to drive on P plates as he only had licence yr) $455 ( I paid £800 to put him on 1.4 corolla in UK)
RAC cover $150 dollars
Cinema $15 adult ticket
PS unless you know your house is heated throughout or super -insulated BRING ELECTRIC BLANKETS!
jane
Hi Jane,
probably no response from UK as they're all still asleep!
But i'm sure - once awake - they will find this useful.
Good on yer - for a good post.
L-j
Old Jul 28th 2006, 4:12 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

RAC cover $150 dollars
Cinema $15 adult ticket
jane

Welcome to Duncraig,

So was that your son hooning up the street last night?
Old Jul 28th 2006, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

That is a great help - we've jobs lined up but still aware of a lot of initial costs - good to see take aways are fairly reasonable price wise!

Good luck with everything else!
Old Jul 29th 2006, 1:07 am
Just Joined

ozbound2 has a brilliant futureozbound2 has a brilliant futureozbound2 has a brilliant futureozbound2 has a brilliant futureozbound2 has a brilliant futureozbound2 has a brilliant futureozbound2 has a brilliant future
Talking Re: what it costs..one month in

hi there actually >>he doesnt get the car till next week >>its having a bit of work done on it ( sorry about the weird typing in this my keyboard has taken on a life of its own) but i@m afraid it will be >>hes got two subs in the bottom of his wardrobe ready to put in it<but i@ve made him promise to turn the sounds off on hepburn avenue> how long have you been here? we chanced on duncraig completely by chance we just headed north on freeway and turned off at random to look at the burbs< and as soon as we saw duncraig felt we@d come home ( must be the hilly bits and all the trees as we@ve arrived from derbyshire>
jane
Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Welcome to Duncraig,

So was that your son hooning up the street last night?
Old Jul 29th 2006, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

hi there actually >>he doesnt get the car till next week >>its having a bit of work done on it ( sorry about the weird typing in this my keyboard has taken on a life of its own) but i@m afraid it will be >>hes got two subs in the bottom of his wardrobe ready to put in it<but i@ve made him promise to turn the sounds off on hepburn avenue> how long have you been here? we chanced on duncraig completely by chance we just headed north on freeway and turned off at random to look at the burbs< and as soon as we saw duncraig felt we@d come home ( must be the hilly bits and all the trees as we@ve arrived from derbyshire>
jane
where in derbyshire? we used to live in glossop.
Old Jul 29th 2006, 2:23 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Karma to you Jane
You did do well with your car... that was a good price.

Hope that jobs and other stuff becomes much easier now you are set up.

x
Old Jul 29th 2006, 7:11 am
Just Joined

Other side of the lumpy bits to you..we were in Ambergate about 8 miles south of Matlock..and I used to have to do the dreaded commute along the awful commute into nottingham everyday...took photos to help remind me just how awful it was. I guess you used to get snowed in a lot in Glossop. Derbyshire is beautiful but I was ready for something completely different and so here I am !
jane
Originally Posted by ianandhelena
where in derbyshire? we used to live in glossop.
Old Jul 29th 2006, 7:13 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that...you're in a beaut spot there..stayed in the Blue mountains last time I was over for hols....
Originally Posted by iPom
Karma to you Jane
You did do well with your car... that was a good price.

Hope that jobs and other stuff becomes much easier now you are set up.

x
Old Jul 29th 2006, 9:12 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that...you're in a beaut spot there..stayed in the Blue mountains last time I was over for hols....

If you're ever over this way, let us know.