Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is with the Cost of Flights!!!!

What is with the Cost of Flights!!!!

Old Aug 6th 2008, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

chugo101 has a spectacular aura aboutchugo101 has a spectacular aura aboutchugo101 has a spectacular aura about
Default What is with the Cost of Flights!!!!

Last year we (myself, hubby & 2 kids) flew back Melbourne to Birmingham with Emirates in August for $8,400 return. How is it the same flights at the same time of year this year are $12,500 and even looking forward to 2009 they are $12,500 too. How on earth can it increase by $4,000 in 12 months?! I was planning on another visit home but it looks like I had better keep saving!!
Old Aug 6th 2008, 12:57 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is with the Cost of Flights!!!!

Originally Posted by chugo101
Last year we (myself, hubby & 2 kids) flew back Melbourne to Birmingham with Emirates in August for $8,400 return. How is it the same flights at the same time of year this year are $12,500 and even looking forward to 2009 they are $12,500 too. How on earth can it increase by $4,000 in 12 months?! I was planning on another visit home but it looks like I had better keep saving!!
When do you want to travel? Do you have to go Emirates?

I can see fares leaving in October for about $2250, not on Emirates though.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 1:01 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if you had noticed, but the price of oil has gone up just a little bit. Aviation Fuel now costs $1200-1300/ton. Last August it was probably $700/ton.

Airlines are not charities - they have to make money to survive.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 1:18 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I don't know if you had noticed, but the price of oil has gone up just a little bit. Aviation Fuel now costs $1200-1300/ton. Last August it was probably $700/ton.

Airlines have to make money !!!!,no shit sherlock
Old Aug 6th 2008, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

I know what you mean. It’s gone crazy – But I do think the Aussie companies charge more. I am looking for one way flights back for next year, looked on the Etihad Airlines website and found a flight for $1,400 with taxes of $60 (Etihad always charge $60 taxes)... thats a good price.

I then headed to flight centre to get a quote on the SAME flight, they wanted $1600 + $460 taxes, so they are clearly ripping people off. Qantas currently want between $450 - $700 taxes!

Mikey
Old Aug 6th 2008, 1:29 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Airlines have to make money !!!!,no shit sherlock
A lot of them are losing money - or going out of business.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 1:53 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu

The price of oil is dropping now and expected to be around $100 per barrel relatively soon.

Maybe this will change things?
Old Aug 6th 2008, 2:06 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
The price of oil is dropping now and expected to be around $100 per barrel relatively soon.

Maybe this will change things?
Probably, but because the airlines hedge their fuel purchases, it will take a while to have any effect.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

chugo101 has a spectacular aura aboutchugo101 has a spectacular aura aboutchugo101 has a spectacular aura about

I'm not planning on going back til next July/August now. We're thinking of going for the English school summer holidays so our kids get to spend time with their cousins.

I'm going to keep my eye on the Ethidad flights as they are loads cheaper, but having not heard of them before I'm a bit dubious about booking with them.

I thinks its just that as I've only ever flown with Emirates Its like a security blanket and also they are the only airline to fly to Birmingham and my parents live 15mins from Birmingham airport so really ideal for us!!

I think I'll just hold off and keep an eye on the prices. I hoped booking early may save me a bit but its not appearing that way!
Old Aug 6th 2008, 2:34 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to keep my eye on the Ethidad flights as they are loads cheaper, but having not heard of them before I'm a bit dubious about booking with them.

I thinks its just that as I've only ever flown with Emirates Its like a security blanket and also they are the only airline to fly to Birmingham and my parents live 15mins from Birmingham airport so really ideal for us!!
If you've seen Etihad flights for $2100 in July next year and that is when you want to go then I wouldn't hesitate for a minute - these days that is a good fare at any time of the year, let alone summer peak season.

Heathrow is 90 mins drive from Birmingham airport on a good day.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

But I'm a ditherer and its so far in advance. I think I'll hold off and watch the prices. Plus that price was for June not July, its $11,000 in July so still high. I'm going to pray that the oil prices hurry up and drop!
Old Aug 6th 2008, 3:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Pommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud of

just starting to think about popping back for a couple of weeks 'sanity break'

Late Sep or early oct looks the go.

Rtn MEL - SIN on Tiger for about $1000

then SIN - LHR rtn for about the same...
Old Aug 6th 2008, 3:53 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by Pommy Dan
just starting to think about popping back for a couple of weeks 'sanity break'

Late Sep or early oct looks the go.

Rtn MEL - SIN on Tiger for about $1000

then SIN - LHR rtn for about the same...
Be quick....Tiger is pulling out of MEL-Darwin-SIN at the end of October!