British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   what is considered a good wage? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/what-considered-good-wage-317237/)

wolky Jul 31st 2005 6:34 pm

what is considered a good wage?

Hi
just wondered what is considered to be a liveable wage for a family of 4? Living in the Brisbane area.
Thanks

lynnbrooks Jul 31st 2005 9:29 pm

Re: what is considered a good wage?

Originally Posted by wolky
Hi
just wondered what is considered to be a liveable wage for a family of 4? Living in the Brisbane area.
Thanks

bump

CORKER Jul 31st 2005 9:36 pm

Hi
Thanks

ABOUT $250,000 A WEEK IF YOU ARE CALLED BECKHAM... :D

CORKER

tiredwithtwins Jul 31st 2005 10:08 pm

Hi
Thanks

hiya,
if you do a search, you will find estimates/guesses/experiences vary wildly! if you are on a low income, you get help from the gov/tax credits(wear a tin hat for the sarcastic comments if you ask about that)....and anything up to about $100,000 a year is seen as ok.
sorry cant be more helpful, but if you do a forum search yuou will find tons of posts about this.....by the end of it you will be bogged down with info and numbers :D
bump your question up in a couple of hours when the expats are online to give thier first hand experience... :D

sue :D

aussie73 Jul 31st 2005 10:25 pm

Hi
Thanks

Will you own your own house and not have to pay rent or a mortgage?

Siren & Brian Jul 31st 2005 10:39 pm

$50,000

jjonboy Aug 1st 2005 12:22 am

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
$50,000

yeah $50k is more or less the average wage i reckon.... this subject has been done to death before and it is such a personal thing.... If you bear in mind that prices for stuff in OZ is not wildly different to uk then what would you consider a decent wage to be in UK??

that might be a way to think about it... also how big will your mortgage need to be in oz??

ABCDiamond Aug 1st 2005 1:12 am

Originally Posted by jjonboy
yeah $50k is more or less the average wage i reckon.... this subject has been done to death before and it is such a personal thing.... If you bear in mind that prices for stuff in OZ is not wildly different to uk then what would you consider a decent wage to be in UK??

that might be a way to think about it... also how big will your mortgage need to be in oz??

Thats a good point.

If the UK average is £504.90 (£26,254pa) info from and the Australian average is $1044.10 (full time adult total earnings) ($54,293pa)
Then whatever % of the average UK earnings should be about right for the same % of average Australian earnings.

The main difference will be with the housing costs.

Key statistics
UK
Average Welsh weekly wage, 2004: £441.70 (as the info came from a Welsh site I left it in :) )
Average weekly wage in the UK, 2004: £504.90
Average weekly wage in London, 2004: £680.00
Aus
Full-time adult ordinary time earnings $991.20
Full-time adult total earnings $1044.10
Full-time adult ordinary time earnings rose by 4.7% for males and 5.0% for females in the twelve months to February 2005

hevs Aug 1st 2005 1:18 am

THUMP! that was the sound of my head hitting the desk:D

(apologies to the OP, but everyone will know how i feel)

ABCDiamond Aug 1st 2005 1:23 am

Originally Posted by hevs
THUMP! that was the sound of my head hitting the desk:D

(apologies to the OP, but everyone will know how i feel)

:D Ahh, but the new people won't :) And they will be sitting there thinking ...... (what will they be thinking ? ) :D

hevs Aug 1st 2005 1:24 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
:D Ahh, but the new people won't :) And they will be sitting there thinking ...... (what will they be thinking ? ) :D

Thats part of the fun :D What WILL they think :scared:

wolky Aug 1st 2005 1:46 am

Hi
thanks,yeh propbably will have to have a mortgage of around $100,000(is this considered ok)looking at the property prices & exchange rates!Sorry if you've had this thread before but trying to find real info is hard. It's only available from people living everyday cost.

steandleigh Aug 1st 2005 1:47 am

To summarise:

Mortgage / NO mortgage?
Expensive tastes / frugal tastes?
Children / NO children?
Hobbies / NO hobbies?
New car / 2nd,3rd,4th hand car?
Eat out at posh restaurants / make your own at home?

As said many times before, circumstances vary wildly, as do individuals standard of living.

steandleigh Aug 1st 2005 1:49 am

Hi
thanks,yeh propbably will have to have a mortgage of around $100,000(is this considered ok)looking at the property prices & exchange rates!Sorry if you've had this thread before but trying to find real info is hard. It's only available from people living everyday cost.

A $100,000 sounds ok to me. Ours is $180,000. :rolleyes:

JackTheLad Aug 1st 2005 1:58 am

Originally Posted by hevs
Thats part of the fun :D What WILL they think :scared:

Probably "I hope the desk is okay." :D

Sorry I'm just waiting for lunch time... another 2 minutes...