Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What Is 'Cheap' In Australia Compared To The UK?

What Is 'Cheap' In Australia Compared To The UK?

Old Nov 19th 2011, 11:18 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Is 'Cheap' In Australia Compared To The UK?

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Plus so many jobs here are offered on a casual basis (so the employee has no rights).
As it is in the UK
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
That is for the two of us (so is the comparative $300 a month here). In UK train tickets approx £350 each and then car parking about £25 a week and also a bit of petrol to get to the station. If one works in London but does not live in London I think this is a fairly common commuting cost.
My goodness, I thought I paid a lot in Perth CBD but that was only about £320 a month equivalent (parking and fuel).
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Wages aren't necessarily higher.
But generally they are
Old Nov 19th 2011, 11:20 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
As it is in the UK
In my experience the proportion of casual positions here is considerably higher.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 11:25 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zombikiller
^

Werd!

red meat = Atkins diet = bad breath
Petrol = sniffing = high

not so weird

In my experience the proportion of casual positions here is considerably higher.
Agree. And especially for professional positions
Old Nov 19th 2011, 11:28 pm
Proudly Deplorable

After seeing so many threads about Oz being so expensive, its bound to be cheaper for some certain things compared to the same in the UK?

So far ive gathered fuel and car insurance is generally cheaper out there?

Im hopefully heading out next year and would be interested in seeing what people have to say on the matter.

Thanks!

Petrol and diesel
House, contents and car insurance
Council tax/rates
Many new cars
Commuting (compared to SE England)
Large screen TVs
Electronics - some laptops, computers, digital cameras, computer parts etc
Apple products
Beef and lamb
Some wine - usually middle/higher range (French champagne can be cheaper)
Renting a house (overall given the size/quality of the product)
Houses generally (been looking online at property in SE England, Southern California, Germany, Italy, France - wow, where's the crash?)
Old Nov 19th 2011, 11:33 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Maybe but workers in the UK also have little rights - one of the reasons that it is easier for companies to close UK operations compared to the rest of Europe.

Since the end of Workchoices in Australia, full-time employees now have too many rights, hence the growth in casual employment.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 11:35 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Wages aren't necessarily higher. Plus so many jobs here are offered on a casual basis (so the employee has no rights). It depends on what you do and where you expect to live. We buy virtually nothing Australian - groceries, fuel and wine - that's it. Everything comes winging its way from the US or UK.
I'm on nearly 20k more here than I was in the UK, maybe it's just me, but that's a substantial amount!
Old Nov 19th 2011, 11:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Petrol and diesel
House, contents and car insurance
Council tax/rates
Many new cars
Commuting (compared to SE England)
Large screen TVs
Electronics - some laptops, computers, digital cameras, computer parts etc
Apple products
Beef and lamb
Some wine - usually middle/higher range (French champagne can be cheaper)
Renting a house (overall given the size/quality of the product)
Houses generally (been looking online at property in SE England, Southern California, Germany, Italy, France - wow, where's the crash?)
I think you are on your own with finding most of the items in that list cheaper here.

Houses and renting! OMG. My 3 bed house in UK is being rented out for £1400 a month, here I pay $1300 a week for a 3 bed house.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 11:41 pm
Proudly Deplorable

I think you are on your own with finding most of the items in that list cheaper here.

Houses and renting! OMG. My 3 bed house in UK is being rented out for £1400 a month, here I pay $1300 a week for a 3 bed house.
Everything I've posted is based on my experience and/or based on research. I used the words 'generally' and 'overall' on some of the categories - so there will be differences.

I'm sticking with everything I wrote.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 11:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Everything I've posted is based on my experience and/or based on research. I used the words 'generally' and 'overall' on some of the categories - so there will be differences.

I'm sticking with everything I wrote.
You must be a very canny shopper then. We could all learn a trick or two from you.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 11:47 pm
Proudly Deplorable

You must be a very canny shopper then. We could all learn a trick or two from you.
Indeed you could
Old Nov 19th 2011, 11:51 pm
Just Joined

Zombikiller is an unknown quantity at this point

No need for the cheek folks, c'mon!

All input is very much appreciated

Old Nov 19th 2011, 11:52 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

No need for the cheek folks, c'mon!

All input is very much appreciated

Welcome to the forum... stick around a bit and you'll get used to this. One or two 'personal issues' on display.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 12:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Welcome to the forum... stick around a bit and you'll get used to this. One or two 'personal issues' on display.
Not here. I put people I have issues with on ignore.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.