Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What Is 'Cheap' In Australia Compared To The UK?

What Is 'Cheap' In Australia Compared To The UK?

Old Nov 21st 2011, 11:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Is 'Cheap' In Australia Compared To The UK?

Originally Posted by quoll
Think the equivalent is 399 UKP which ends up cheaper
Not if you use the universally accepted GBP-Aus$ exchange rate of 2.2.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 11:22 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spartacus
With the continuing fall of the pound has that not reached 2.4 yet?
Maybe even 2.6 by the middle of 2012?
Old Nov 21st 2011, 11:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I tend to use 3. It's a bit arbitrary I know, but it makes me feel better when I'm squeezing avocados in Coles . . . "My, that's only 60 English pence!".
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 12:50 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it has to be accepted by everyone for it to be universally accepted.

Old Nov 22nd 2011, 12:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by In Exile
lol. mercifully not there. Alexandria/Rosebery area.

Its the area that the appartment building machine seems to be slowly expanding into, via wtareloo, zetland etc. Lots of old warehouse buildings and derelict sites which are slowly getting converted/demolished. Over time, from an investment point of view I think its a great move.
Not sure I want to live there for any great length of time though.
Not a bad plan. Will be very interesting to see what happens to that area in 10-15 years.

oh and whilst I think of it - Avocado's, and they go brown slower in Oz too
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 12:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Better start transferring those $A's back
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 1:20 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Use what ever rate you want: 2, 2.2, 2.5, 3 - whatever floats your boat.

All that matters to me is affordability (how many hours you have to work to buy a certain item - The Economist have their Big Mac Index which is very good) and the actual exchange rate.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 3:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu

All that matters to me is affordability (how many hours you have to work to buy a certain item - The Economist have their Big Mac Index which is very good) and the actual exchange rate.
I work out all costs by number of extra night shifts on top of me 78 hr week i'd have to work and which day of the week they'd be on...

Eg a new dyson, that would be an extra Monday night shift... My sewing machine cost me three extra saturday nights.... That trolley full of shopping cost me an extra friday night on medical ward.... I could buy that if I did a weekday morning on rehab...

Thats eddies Big mac index, tho traditionally nurses measure payrises by the extra number of packets of chocolate cream hob nob biccies they will be able to buy each week.... Or not
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 4:45 am
Banned

Whats that smell... is a jewel in the roughWhats that smell... is a jewel in the roughWhats that smell... is a jewel in the roughWhats that smell... is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by eddie007
I work out all costs by number of extra night shifts on top of me 78 hr week i'd have to work and which day of the week they'd be on...

Eg a new dyson, that would be an extra Monday night shift... My sewing machine cost me three extra saturday nights.... That trolley full of shopping cost me an extra friday night on medical ward.... I could buy that if I did a weekday morning on rehab...

Thats eddies Big mac index, tho traditionally nurses measure payrises by the extra number of packets of chocolate cream hob nob biccies they will be able to buy each week.... Or not
Chocolate cream hobnobs??? Where from???
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 4:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007

I do a similar thing, except it's the wife that has to work the extra shifts (I realise you meant fortnightly)

In all seriousness I actually work out the savings we get at Aldi as a certain amount of overtime... It's usually about 3 or 4 hours of OT saved per fortnight. = about 100 bucks or 160/170bucks before tax = 3 or 4 hours of less work per fortnight makes it worth shopping at Aldi in my book.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 4:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu

On this board, for some reason, this concept has traditionally been slow to gain acceptance and understanding (for those on Aus salaries..)
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 5:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
On this board, for some reason, this concept has traditionally been slow to gain acceptance and understanding (for those on Aus salaries..)
I don't understand it. Could someone run it by me again please?
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 5:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

NO
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 5:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Whats that smell...
Chocolate cream hobnobs??? Where from???
Three weeks ago in the English lolly shop, shockinham.

But of course evaluating nurses pay rises in the uk by methods relating to chocolate hob nobs purchased here in australia is a bit like comparing salaries and costs of living between the uk and australia...

A Bloody waste of time

Stop contemplateing your financial navals and bloody get on with life... Its too short to do otherwise...
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 5:14 am

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

When you are young, with no job, you have no money. Then in your 20's and 30's you have a job, but all your spare cash goes on the kids. In your 40's and 50's, any spare money goes into your pension fund. Then you retire, and live off the money you saved, but you dare not spend much. Then you die and whats left goes to your kids.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.