Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What Chance of a Good Retirement?

What Chance of a Good Retirement?

Old Sep 16th 2003, 4:01 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default What Chance of a Good Retirement?

Lots of Aussies are / will do it tough in retirement.

After a few years of settling in, British immigrants incomes tend to be slightly higher than average Aussies.

To retire with a quite modest income you need, in today's money, about $1M at 55 or $0.5M at 65 above and beyond owning your house and related goods (to live to ~80).

Average age of British immigrants 35(?): in simple terms you need to save (increase net worth) $50,000 / yr to 55 or $17,000 / yr to 65.

For most British immigrants and Aussies around 35, family expenses leave little opportunity for saving. Only when the children have left home when parents are 50+ is serious saving possible and then most careers are peaking or declining.

How do you rate your chances of a good retirement?
Old Sep 16th 2003, 5:02 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Absolutely no chance. It's been worrying me a bit to be honset.

Sticking my head in the sand & hoping I have a rich long lost relative somewhere who's gonna leave me a stack of cash.

Maybe we'll be fully self sufficient by then.. my strawberry plants have little green fruits. I am VERY excited.

Diane
Old Sep 16th 2003, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough

I wouldn't worry Diane, no-one knows what's around the corner?

Without sounding too negative, what's the point in putting away vasts sums of money for future retirement when you might not be around to enjoy it.

My Grandad worked over 40 years for the Post Office and only saw 2 years retirement, he died of cancer, what happened to all those years of contributions?! Pensions - Insurance company rip-off.
Old Sep 16th 2003, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Kath you are so right, it just takes a while to get out of the brainwashing my mum did to me!!

Diane
Old Sep 16th 2003, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

nell m is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats so true, my mother in law worked every hour she could to make sure she had money for her retirement, then had a heart attack and passed away two weeks after her 60th birthday - that was only in April, and it's made us all the more determined to get out there. My mum and dad only have a small pension, but they grow their own fruit and veg and spend their days tending to their garden, dont go out much but save their money and go and spend a month in Malta every winter. Yes you've got to plan to have some income for the future, but not if it stops you living and enjoying your life now!
Old Sep 16th 2003, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Hopefully not having a big mortgage in OZ may mean that we can save some cash particularly when the kids have left.

Planning to travel and see lots of places such as Fiji, Thailand, NZ, Oz etc when I'm older/retired so we'd better get saving!

At least if you live in Oz you won't die of hyperthermia in Winter!
Old Sep 16th 2003, 9:51 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by cadman
At least if you live in Oz you won't die of hyperthermia in Winter!

Oh I don't know, bloody freezing in our house!!

Luckily I have lots of Pensions on hold in the Uk including an excellent one I had with Sainburys back in the days when I use to have a job, so will restart them all when I get back!