Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What car for Pilbara region?

What car for Pilbara region?

Old Nov 1st 2009, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default What car for Pilbara region?

Anyone on here give an informed view into what a typical 2 adults 2 kids family would need to get out and about in the Pilbara region?
I've heard about roads flooding and other hazardous conditions up there. Would like a new car but as budget would be under AU$25k and most likely a 4x4 of some description, but not sure we is a good choice in our price range.
Any advice please?
Old Nov 1st 2009, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

siamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nice
Default Re: What car for Pilbara region?

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Anyone on here give an informed view into what a typical 2 adults 2 kids family would need to get out and about in the Pilbara region?
I've heard about roads flooding and other hazardous conditions up there. Would like a new car but as budget would be under AU$25k and most likely a 4x4 of some description, but not sure we is a good choice in our price range.
Any advice please?
Hi there I am in Karratha which is the Pilbara, we have a Toyota Landcruiser Snowy edition, second hand you could prob get something in this price range with no problem.
If you look at pilbara classies.com you can see a variety of 4 x 4's for sale. Where in the Pilbara are you going to ss x
Old Nov 1st 2009, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

I would say a 4x4 is a must.
When we lived in Carnarvon for 6 months, not Pilbara but about 8/9 hours from Perth the town was full of 4WD.
Basically I had never seen so many 4WD in my life.

We have find 4WD is pretty comfy for the long distances between town North of Perth.

* I was also told to stick to Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi etc to ensure plenty of parts in case of break down. I was told to avoid Ford, VW etc as the parts would be expensive to get or may have a long wait for the part to arrive.

We have a Nissan and this make alongside Toyota are the most popular in my current town.

Gems
Old Nov 1st 2009, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

siamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Gems
I would say a 4x4 is a must.
When we lived in Carnarvon for 6 months, not Pilbara but about 8/9 hours from Perth the town was full of 4WD.
Basically I had never seen so many 4WD in my life.

We have find 4WD is pretty comfy for the long distances between town North of Perth.

* I was also told to stick to Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi etc to ensure plenty of parts in case of break down. I was told to avoid Ford, VW etc as the parts would be expensive to get or may have a long wait for the part to arrive.

We have a Nissan and this make alongside Toyota are the most popular in my current town.

Gems
Same here Gems, Karratha airport is just one 4 x 4 in the car park. I wouldnt say the roads here are treacherous though, Cyclone and rainy season brings the floods and the washing away of rail lines bridges etc, but there are also many saloon type cars here as well. I just feel safer in a 4 x 4 ss x
Old Nov 1st 2009, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Any advice please?
thanks for you pm Ozbound, I have sent you one back best wishes ss