Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What car do you have?

What car do you have?

Old Dec 12th 2005, 9:48 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute
Default What car do you have?

Hi folks.

Was wondering if those of you out in Oz would tell me what kind of car do you have and why you chose that one. Also what's the cost of second hand motors out there?

Cheers

Ginny
Old Dec 12th 2005, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

laneylou is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What car do you have?

Originally Posted by Stitch
Hi folks.

Was wondering if those of you out in Oz would tell me what kind of car do you have and why you chose that one. Also what's the cost of second hand motors out there?

Cheers

Ginny
Look on here - www.carsales.com.au.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 10:12 pm
ABCDiamond

This will give you an idea of 2nd hand car prices. http://www.redbook.com.au/

As an example, I recently bought a 2001 Hyundai Grandeur. Redbook value: average price - private sale $11,600 - $14,000 (Prices based on 50,000 - 80,000 km)

I paid $10,900 + "a trade in" that was really worth maybe $1,500. So, $12,400 actual cost. (It had 82k on the clock)
It had an asking price of over $15,000, but everything here is negotiable

Why did I buy it ?
Comfort
Cruise Control
Satelite Navigation
Looks Good
Power
Comfort

edit:
carsales.com.au have one for sale like mine, but for $17,990.

"2001 HYUNDAI GRANDEUR XG LIGHT BEIGE 4dr Sedan Semi-Automatic 6cyl 3.0L; 78,325kms QLD $17,990 "

Always negotiate Asking prices are like houses, overpriced to cater for discount offers.

The "semi automatic" means it has the tiptronic gears.

Last edited by ABCDiamond; Dec 12th 2005 at 10:17 pm.

Old Dec 12th 2005, 10:36 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a Honda CRV basically online, and picked it up the day after arrival.

Best car I've ever had: comfortable, very tight turning circle, 4WD automatically slips in when required, relatively economical, easier to park than most saloons I've had and with the seats down handles enormous amounts of "stuff".

I would never have thought I'd be driving one of these things but, having used it to transport our things from one hoouse to another twice in the last year I wouldn't be without it.

Second hand prices tend to be high here whereas new cars are cheaper than in the UK.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 10:37 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stitch
Hi folks.

Cheers

Ginny
www.redbook.com.au will tell you everything you need to know about new & used car prices & you can compare different models etc. Brilliant site, been using it for years, it used to come out in book form as well when I was younger, not sure if it still does, but Im guessing so.

We have a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder, just putting in an order for a new one this week (Dagboyyyyyy, if you are listeninggggg! I was hoping for the new car for xmas ), we have it cos we tow stuff & go 4wding a bit.

My car is a Magna station wagon, couple of years old, comfy, roomy, good on fuel for its size & nice to drive.

Unlike ABC, I dont need sat nav, I know where Im going 99% of the time being a local & all .
Old Dec 12th 2005, 10:59 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Unlike ABC, I dont need sat nav, I know where Im going 99% of the time being a local & all .
It's for my wife when she uses it to go shopping !! I can only assume she gets lost all the time, as she is often out for hours

Old Dec 12th 2005, 11:12 pm
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby has a Holden Commodore and i have a Holden Barina.. hubbys car is a company car but i bought mine because it goes forever without having to fill up on petrol, really useful for taxi-ing the kids to school, tennis lessons, horse riding, cricket, gymnastics and their friends houses !!!!!!!!
Old Dec 12th 2005, 11:18 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It's for my wife when she uses it to go shopping !! I can only assume she gets lost all the time, as she is often out for hours
The only times I get lost are the times I follow the ***** thing's directions!

At least I can then see from the display where I have been taken!.......
Old Dec 12th 2005, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute

Holden Commodore Lumina Wagon (can't remember the year, think it is 2001/2002). Got it for $19500 with 140,000 on the clock. We got it for me to use to shift stuff around for my business and also because we have just had a baby (amazing how much stuff they need). Might look at something a little more economical next year, but it will need to have the same load capacity, the Commodore Wagon is huge with the back seats down.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 11:59 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

We have 2 cars...My car is a Rav4 2000 with Cruiser pack. LOVE IT!! Bought it because I have always loved them and thought WHY NOT?? Oh, bought it back in Oct 04 for $29990

Hubby has a 1988 GQ SWB Patrol. We bought that because Hubby is now right into 4WD'ing and we wanted something that could handle the places we wanted to take it....the Rav4 just didnt cut it
Old Dec 13th 2005, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

mysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of light

RAV4, 2001, 70,000km on clock, probably ripped off at $22,000.

We were desperate for a car, but did knock $2000 off price, absolutely love it, big enough for most of our needs and still small enough to park (I know obviously a woman driver!) not a big gas guzzler either!

Our other car is a Hyundai Excel 1997, $5,600 I think it has around 130,000 on the clock, can't say much about it! - It moves and is cheap to run!

Nikki
xx
Old Dec 13th 2005, 12:08 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Honda CRV Sports - bought new when we first arrived. Great for shopping, moving stuff around etc.

Just looking for a second car at the moment. I want an MX5 but hubbie wants a Subarau - I think I will win on this one
Old Dec 13th 2005, 12:14 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

VW Golf 2.0litre TDi Comfortline. I bought it because it's diesel, for fuel economy, it's quick & looks good. I pick it up on Friday. The interesting thing about VWs is that although most european cars are more expensive here, VWs are cheaper. They hold their 2nd hand value well too.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 1:58 am
Just Joined

Muiry will become famous soon enoughMuiry will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Amazulu
VW Golf 2.0litre TDi Comfortline. I bought it because it's diesel, for fuel economy, it's quick & looks good. I pick it up on Friday. The interesting thing about VWs is that although most european cars are more expensive here, VWs are cheaper. They hold their 2nd hand value well too.

We bought a Ford Fairmont when we arrived and didn't have a clue! It worked out OK, thankfully!

Lovely car, good mileage. Hubby likes driving it, so that's all important! We paid $13500 for it and it's value is sitting about $18000 - if you pay cash you can go in low.
We had also looked at a Commodore and the salesman wouldn't accept that we weren't going any higher than 13500. We went to the next garage along and bought the Ford. Within half an hour the Commodore salesman had called back to accept the 13500. He was too late and we took great pleasure at telling him that. They're all just playing a game, and you can get a really good deal if you just ignore their salesman talk and stick to your guns.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 2:34 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Muiry
We bought a Ford Fairmont when we arrived and didn't have a clue! It worked out OK, thankfully!

Lovely car, good mileage. Hubby likes driving it, so that's all important! We paid $13500 for it and it's value is sitting about $18000 - if you pay cash you can go in low.
We had also looked at a Commodore and the salesman wouldn't accept that we weren't going any higher than 13500. We went to the next garage along and bought the Ford. Within half an hour the Commodore salesman had called back to accept the 13500. He was too late and we took great pleasure at telling him that. They're all just playing a game, and you can get a really good deal if you just ignore their salesman talk and stick to your guns.
Well done

That's the way to do it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.