Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what car do you drive???? and whats the best four wheel drive on the road???

Wikiposts

what car do you drive???? and whats the best four wheel drive on the road???

Old Mar 7th 2005, 10:04 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what car do you drive???? and whats the best four wheel drive on the road???

I like the Landcruiser for a top 4x4, but I recently had a test drive in the new Discovery & was mightily impressed. I'm not a big fan of Land Rovers, but the new Disco is great.
Old Mar 7th 2005, 12:42 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what car do you drive???? and whats the best four wheel drive on the road???

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I like the Landcruiser for a top 4x4, but I recently had a test drive in the new Discovery & was mightily impressed. I'm not a big fan of Land Rovers, but the new Disco is great.
Don't they have terrible reliability problems?
Old Mar 7th 2005, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

We looked at buying a Rav4 but decided to get a smaller runaround for now. The Rav4 is a decent price; some of the other 4WD are extortionate to me, but they'd be worth it if you used them alot. Many 4WDs round here don't look like they're taken off road much. The Rav 4 boot is quite small so we would find it a squash if we went camping in it with our 2 kids, although petrol consumption is good. I heard that it performs well off road, particularly on dunes etc. which would be a bonus.
How much off roading would you actually do?
The Hyundai Tuson is good value at the mo, bigger than the Rav4 (storage wise) and has integral roof racks, but petrol consumption isn't as good. You get a 5 year warranty compared to 3 for toyota. I'm not sure about performance though.
I would rather buy new (if you want a newish car) and get your warranty, stamp duty, tints etc. thrown in. We got 20% off our new car which made it comparable to 2 or 3 year old cars which don't have all that stuff; many tend to hold their value. If you decide on the make you want you can ring round all the garages, check reports and road tests and you'll be suprised how much you can get off. Some dealerships won't deal on the phone but others will be ringing you back with different deals.
Another cheap 4WD is the Holden Cruze, but it looks tiny, hardly any storage but you get a 6 year warranty.
There's also good reviews in the West Australian, check out 2nd hand prices in the Quokka too.
Old Mar 7th 2005, 3:50 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Larissa
We looked at buying a Rav4 but decided to get a smaller runaround for now. The Rav4 is a decent price; some of the other 4WD are extortionate to me, but they'd be worth it if you used them alot. Many 4WDs round here don't look like they're taken off road much. The Rav 4 boot is quite small so we would find it a squash if we went camping in it with our 2 kids, although petrol consumption is good. I heard that it performs well off road, particularly on dunes etc. which would be a bonus.
How much off roading would you actually do?
The Hyundai Tuson is good value at the mo, bigger than the Rav4 (storage wise) and has integral roof racks, but petrol consumption isn't as good. You get a 5 year warranty compared to 3 for toyota. I'm not sure about performance though.
I would rather buy new (if you want a newish car) and get your warranty, stamp duty, tints etc. thrown in. We got 20% off our new car which made it comparable to 2 or 3 year old cars which don't have all that stuff; many tend to hold their value. If you decide on the make you want you can ring round all the garages, check reports and road tests and you'll be suprised how much you can get off. Some dealerships won't deal on the phone but others will be ringing you back with different deals.
Another cheap 4WD is the Holden Cruze, but it looks tiny, hardly any storage but you get a 6 year warranty.
There's also good reviews in the West Australian, check out 2nd hand prices in the Quokka too.
The Rav4 is ok, but I wouldn't be too sure of it's abilities on soft sand. No low range gear box or diff lock, though the 2dr is quite light.
Can't comment on the Tucson, it wasn't something we looked at, but is fuel consumption really an issue with a sub 3 litre engine and cheap petrol prices?
The Cruze looks like a joke, and as for a Quokka - is that for real?

Here's a link to an article comparing some soft-roaders: drive
Old Mar 7th 2005, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Location: ex-Lancashire, ex-Northern suburbs, Perth WA, now Switzerland
cyclemark has a spectacular aura aboutcyclemark has a spectacular aura aboutcyclemark has a spectacular aura about

The best four wheel drive on the road? Thats easy - any four wheel drive thats NOT on the road(i.e its off-road, where 99% of 4 wheel drives never go)
Old Mar 7th 2005, 6:05 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

we have a rav4 3-door which handles very well and is fast, but a bit small now we have a baby. The 5-door is a bit heavier/slower. Wouldn`t have a clue what it`s like as a 4wd (others will tell you it`s a hairdressers car, but I`ve read someone on this forum took one off-roading and it did really well).

Unless you`re wanting to off-road though, you only want a 4wd for it`s size/look/protection. Have you thought about a 2wd Honda HRV?
Old Mar 7th 2005, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

RogerUK has a spectacular aura aboutRogerUK has a spectacular aura aboutRogerUK has a spectacular aura about

Hi all
Nissan X-Trail for us when we go in April. Have been all over the altenatives here in UK, Rav 4, Honda CRV, Hyundai, Kia, and the Nissan comes out on tops for what we need - a good sensible size estate car, nice high driving position, economical, comfortable, reliable, well built and soilid, well adequate for the type of roads we will drive on in OZ and also easy to maintain once the warranty runs out. We do not intend any really rough stuff.
Can't wait!
Roger
Old Mar 7th 2005, 7:21 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
They are not the best. It is too early to tell if reliability has improved on the new Discovery.
Old Mar 7th 2005, 7:22 pm
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by renth

no way - that was ages ago - they are fantastic now and i cant wit to have another - i cant say a bad word against them.
Old Mar 7th 2005, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really nice

We got a Toyota Prado VX from Brighton Toyota last October and its a phenomenal car. Bit pricey though and our bank balance is starting to look a bit sick now as I can't seem to get a job.
One advantage of Brighton Toyota is they will wash the car for free anytime you care to take it in. It's called 'Wash for Life' and pretty good as the car washes cost about $25-35 round here.
Old Mar 7th 2005, 8:29 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by RogerUK
Hi all
Nissan X-Trail for us when we go in April. Have been all over the altenatives here in UK, Rav 4, Honda CRV, Hyundai, Kia, and the Nissan comes out on tops for what we need - a good sensible size estate car, nice high driving position, economical, comfortable, reliable, well built and soilid, well adequate for the type of roads we will drive on in OZ and also easy to maintain once the warranty runs out. We do not intend any really rough stuff.
Can't wait!
Roger
Yeah I think the X-Trail would be near the top of our list too.
Old Mar 7th 2005, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

smood has a brilliant futuresmood has a brilliant futuresmood has a brilliant futuresmood has a brilliant futuresmood has a brilliant futuresmood has a brilliant future

In my humble opinion the best 4wd has got to be the Landrover Defender. I have driven these in the worst conditions possible over long periods. I would love to get one when I arrive in Oz but they just arent cost effective there unless you live in a city with a large dealership nearby.
The are far from the most comfortable vehicle but it does the off road job better than any of the others.

I would have to aggree that in Oz the toyota would be the vehicle of choice for the best all rounder. Great for off road and spare parts can be sourced cheaply. If the Land cruiser seems a bit big and pricey try a Hilux surf. From what I saw on a series of Top Gear when they tried to kill one in every episode they are indestructable. It just would not die.
Old Mar 7th 2005, 9:38 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

JUst bought the Mitsubishi Triton, [L200 in the UK] twin cab, turbo Diesel, no worries , but a great vehicel. WHEN did we see a Toyota land cruiser win the Paris -Dakar?............. mm
Old Mar 7th 2005, 10:29 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by expressos
hello there
would really like to know what you wonderfull people drive?
and if anyone could tell me the good bad and ugly about any of these four wheel drives:

toyotta: prado

mitsubishiajero

ford:territory

hyuandi:terrican

your advice and reccomemdation on these would me much appreciated

another ??
how many of you have or will buy brand new

many thanks

Wheels car magazine have just named the Ford Territory its 4WD of the year for 2004. They are a very reputable magazine.

Personally I prefer the Landcruiser. Which reminds me, I better start looking for one before the Mrs belts me over the head for procrastinating.
Old Mar 7th 2005, 10:40 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smood
In my humble opinion the best 4wd has got to be the Landrover Defender. I have driven these in the worst conditions possible over long periods. I would love to get one when I arrive in Oz but they just arent cost effective there unless you live in a city with a large dealership nearby.
The are far from the most comfortable vehicle but it does the off road job better than any of the others.

I would have to aggree that in Oz the toyota would be the vehicle of choice for the best all rounder. Great for off road and spare parts can be sourced cheaply. If the Land cruiser seems a bit big and pricey try a Hilux surf. From what I saw on a series of Top Gear when they tried to kill one in every episode they are indestructable. It just would not die.
In aust these are not considered to be ,serious 4wd,s, they suffer in serious Outback conditions.................... mm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.