What Car?

Old Sep 30th 2004, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

avroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really nice
Default What Car?

Hi Everyone

I have budgeted $25,000 for a new vehicle when we arive in Melbourne. I would like a four wheel drive as I will be taking it off road from time to time. I have heard a lot of good stuff about the Toyota Prado. I am a toyota driver here in the UK. Any advice as to Toyota or any recomendations on other makes etc. Also private or Showroom?

Thanks

Joseph's Dad
Old Sep 30th 2004, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ushas will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What Car?

Originally Posted by avroncotton
Hi Everyone

I have budgeted $25,000 for a new vehicle when we arive in Melbourne. I would like a four wheel drive as I will be taking it off road from time to time. I have heard a lot of good stuff about the Toyota Prado. I am a toyota driver here in the UK. Any advice as to Toyota or any recomendations on other makes etc. Also private or Showroom?

Thanks

Joseph's Dad
Might be worth your while checking out www.redbook.com.au

it has new and used cars and will let you make comparisons etc...
Old Oct 1st 2004, 12:40 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone

Thanks

Joseph's Dad

If by 'new' you mean brand new then you won't be getting a Prado for $25,000, they are more like $39k. For $30,000 you'll be able to get a decent range of cars. The Rav 4 comes in at that price new and similar class covers the Subaru Forrester (ugly car in my opinion) and Honda CRV.

Here's a link to a godd 4x4 place in Brisbane, you can check out their new and used car prices.

http://www.4x4xmore.com.au/home/home.asp?txtFlash=Yes
Old Oct 1st 2004, 1:44 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone

Thanks

Joseph's Dad
I fancied a 4x4 when we got here for about $12k but they are all about 15 year old but in good nick. However we have been visiting the government car auctions, in fact off there in a mo, and you can pick up some belting 4x4's with about 40 to 60k on the clock for under $25k. For example Rav 4x4 $22 with 35k on the clock and Mazda Dual Cab 57k on the clock for $20k.

Been pricing them in the garages and they have another $10k mark up on similar vehicles.

Plus govy cars are all well looked after through servicing, if you want a normal car then they're cheaper again.

Walla
Old Oct 1st 2004, 1:57 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walla1
I fancied a 4x4 when we got here for about $12k but they are all about 15 year old but in good nick. However we have been visiting the government car auctions, in fact off there in a mo, and you can pick up some belting 4x4's with about 40 to 60k on the clock for under $25k. For example Rav 4x4 $22 with 35k on the clock and Mazda Dual Cab 57k on the clock for $20k.

Been pricing them in the garages and they have another $10k mark up on similar vehicles.

Plus govy cars are all well looked after through servicing, if you want a normal car then they're cheaper again.

Walla
Forgot to add those prices are before they go under the hammer. They are often cheaper when you go into the auction itself.
Old Oct 2nd 2004, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Hi there,

We went looking for second hand Prado's - a typical 2/3 year model (GXL)with 50+ kms on it would set you back about $39k.

We bought a brand new one for $45k with the usual 3 year warranty etc. (makes sense to stretch the budget if you can - wife wasn't happy though)

As previously mentioned the auctions can provide a bargain but you need to be careful.
Old Oct 2nd 2004, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

steveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Billabong
Hi there,

We went looking for second hand Prado's - a typical 2/3 year model (GXL)with 50+ kms on it would set you back about $39k.

We bought a brand new one for $45k with the usual 3 year warranty etc. (makes sense to stretch the budget if you can - wife wasn't happy though)

As previously mentioned the auctions can provide a bargain but you need to be careful.
Did you get the GXL for $45k.. we are looking at at the GXL in diesel when we come over in Jan..
Are you pleased with it?