Reload this Page >

What can you take??

What can you take??

Old Jun 11th 2002, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Pablo Picasso is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What can you take??

Hi,

we are looking to move to Perth in september, and are in the process of sorting out what we can take and what we cant. We have been told by one removal company that we can take our lawn mower, gardening tools, large flower pots and kids bikes if we just give them 'a really good clean', yet another tells us that we need to have them all steam cleaned, sprayed with disinfectant then they can issue us with a certificate to present 'at the other end'.

Does anyone know the truth about this????

Can anyone recommend a reliable but reasonably priced removal company (or is that a contradiction in terms!!???

thanks

Paul
Old Jun 11th 2002, 11:39 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What can you take??

Hello Paul.

Take a look at this link and the pdf you can download on shipping your household goodies:
http://www.gomatilda.co.uk/news/arti...?articleid=140

Hope this helps.
Old Jun 11th 2002, 11:48 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Pickfords did our move and we were told to give the whole lot you mentioned a good clean. We are trying to pick our stuff up here this week (Sydney). Everything made it through customs -except for the mower, which was the one thing we used a pressure washer on! Well we thought they might have to find something to justify the job! We are in the process of getting a quote from customs to steam it, will update once we have some news, about whether we get to dump it (charge involved!) or get it steamed (charge involved!). The dyson made it and that was one of the things we just cleaned ourselves. All our camping gear made it (we again gave it all a good cleaning especially the groundsheets etc). The advice we had was even if we got it steamed in the UK there was no guarantee customs would accept the certificate and we could be forced to do it again. Pine cones and wicker and untreated wood were the things we hunted out.
Old Jun 12th 2002, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Pablo Picasso is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers Alan & Sandra,

We bought a pressure washer on the strength of having to do ll that!! We also have a dyson and a tent, so i presume if we just give everything a good thorough clean........then hope for the bst in oz??!!!
I think i'll leave the hover mover, cos it's garbage anyway.

thanks again
Old Jun 17th 2002, 3:30 pm
Russell Driver

"Pablo Picasso" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > we are looking to move to Perth in september, and are in the process of sorting out
    > what we can take and what we cant. We have been told by one removal company that we
    > can take our lawn mower, gardening tools, large flower pots and kids bikes if we
    > just give them 'a really good clean', yet another tells us that we need to have
    > them all steam cleaned, sprayed with disinfectant then they can issue us with a
    > certificate to present 'at the other end'.

We brought some of our gardening equip and even a couple of old statues. We cleaned
them thouroughly,rinsed in Jeyes fluid and then sealed in plastic bags. We only did
this with items that did not have too many nooks and crannies.They all passed through
customs. Perhaps the lawnmower is something you should leave,there are plenty here.
    >
    > Does anyone know the truth about this????
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a reliable but reasonably priced removal company (or is that a
    > contradiction in terms!!???
    >
We paid around 2500 UK pounds for a twenty ft container to Adelaide. It was just a
small,local company from Leeds and we packed virtually all of it ourselves.

Cheers

Russell

--
Luck is when the paths of opportunity and preparation cross.

Old Jun 17th 2002, 4:14 pm
Helena

"Pablo Picasso" <[email protected]> wrote

> we are looking to move to Perth in september, and are in the process of sorting out
    > what we can take and what we cant. We have been told by one removal company that we
    > can take our lawn mower, gardening tools, large flower pots and kids bikes if we
    > just give them 'a really good clean', yet another tells us that we need to have
    > them all steam cleaned, sprayed with disinfectant then they can issue us with a
    >

Conflicting stories and information on this. We brought our lawn mower and gardening
tools, and bikes, sports equipment, etc. and had no problem. We moved from Canada,
however. We were extremely obsessive about cleaning everything spotlessly. We even
put disinfectant on the blades and inside of the mower, as well as all gardening
tools, golf clubs, bottoms of golf shoes, bikes, etc. Our stuff reeked of
disinfectant, and it all passed. The only thing they didn't like was a Christmas
decoration that had some sphagnum moss in it. We had them toss that out rather than
spend heaps of money fumigating it.

Mind you, the story I hear is if you go with a moving company the Quarantine people
are easier on you than on those who pack themselves. Friends of ours spent almost
$1,000 on Quarantine treatment fees for things like their bikes and golf clubs & bags
and things. They admit they weren't nearly as obsessive as we were about cleaning
them, but they had also heard that if you pack your stuff yourself, they look at
everything much more closely. Supposedly it's because they figure the professional
moving company knows enough to not pack dirty or inappropriate things. I don't know
if this is true or not, but it's what I've heard from others. Our professional moving
company mistakenly packed some wine and tequila which we had put aside but luckily,
for some reason, the Customs people didn't gouge us with exorbitant duty and sales
tax, which other people have had to pay. Perhaps they didn't look too closely? Or
were they just being nice?

But then if you're coming from the UK, I've heard they're tougher on shipments from
there due to the foot and mouth thing. I don't know if that's still the case, but it
was something I heard from several Brits who moved here recently. Perhaps an email to
the Quarantine people asking them, point blank, what to expect might help. I found an
email address on their site before we moved and I asked them specific questions about
things like maple syrup and things. They replied promptly.

Just an aside about the lawnmower - we ended up selling ours pretty soon after we
moved here because it was the wrong mower for the type of grass we have here. In
Canada we had the typical clumping fescue type grass and a rotary blade is good for
that. Here, in Perth, we've got that annoying creeping stuff that the rotary blades
can't get at properly. We've had our lawn cut by the Jim's Mowing man since. It
wasn't a waste or anything since we got more for it here than we would have got in
Canada since 2nd hand goods here sell for more than in Canada.

Good luck,

Helena

Vicki

The information from the second removal company is simply a case of them covering
their backsides.

I moved with the family from the USA to Sydney back in January. I gave the gardening
tools a thorough rinsing in warm soapy water, left the bikes and mower behind, and
rubbed what little dirt there was off the golf clubs and shoes. No problem.

One tip. The company I used obviously had some experience in this (The MI Group).
They recommended putting all "suspect" items just inside the door of the container.
That way, when the inspection officer reviews the packing list and want's to see
items 12, 22, 31, 37, 82, 112, 64, etc. they don't have to empty the whole container
to get to your golf shoes way in the back.

Items we considered "suspect": Anything wood, straw, etc. Anything made of dried
plants (decorative wreaths). The aforementioned gardening equipment and sporting
goods (anything that lives, works, or is stored outdoors).

The largest delay was due to the volume of containers entering the port in January.
No trouble at all with the inspection.

Best of luck.

Ed

> Hi,
    >
    >
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a reliable but reasonably priced removal company (or is that a
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > Paul
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Jeanie

We just moved house from the UK back to Victoria and we chose Allied Pickfords to do
our move for us. They weren't the very cheapest, but close to it. The service was
VERY good and they gave us all the information about what is and isn't allowed or a
good idea to ship back. The delivery was quick, insurance inexpensive, paperwork
clear and they also unpack everything in your new home and take away all the packing
boxes and papers.

I would suggest you call the removalist to come out to your home, they will do a
walk-through with you and tell you what size container you will need. They'll all
give you quotes and a sales schpiel. Once you get the quotes, don't hesitate to call
back the ones you were most comfortable with and tell them if the price isn't up to
par with the others. We managed to haggle the price down without much of a fight.

The packing and moving guide we got had a 'count-down to moving' list in the book
that was awesome, and in retrospect, I wish I had followed it a bit more closely.
They're very clear on what customs is looking for and what they will bag you for.
Don't be fooled, coming from the UK they are VERY fussy about the cleanliness of
anything 'outdoorsy'. We had to steam-clean our motorcycle and bicycle in the UK and
again over here before it was released. They checked all our shoes to be sure there
wasn't any dirt clinging to the soles, bicycles, tools and sporting equipment were
all pulled out of the consignment and checked. They found a small bean bag that had
cat hair on it and we had to pay to have it sterilized or destroyed (cheaper to
destroy it!).

If you're really keen to bring the mower and bikes, most DEFINITELY have them
steam-cleaned, disinfected and send the certificates. You MIGHT have a chance of
getting them cleared, but I wouldn't count on it. If you don't have it done, you WILL
get pinged and then they'll probably want to check more of your consignment costing
you time and more money. I'd leave the flower pots. (BTW, I believe it cost us
$180Aus to have the motorcycle steam cleaned by AQIS - just multiply that by the
number of bikes, lawn mowers and other gardening tools you want to bring and then
decide if it's worth it.)

Good Luck!

~J~

> Hi,
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > Paul
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com