What can I research next?

Wikiposts

What can I research next?

Old Jan 29th 2003, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Inked is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What can I research next?

Originally posted by pommie bastard
None at all as I said in the first post get a few videos out made by Austrailian flim makers ,and you may pick something up reguarding what an Australian is and the way of life here.
You may even met Mr Kizon very nice hes always around Northbridge try and walk the way he does hit anyone but his minders have been known to slap people around for looking at the guy.
Another Melbourne flim worth a look is Romper Stomper , young boys having fun could even been set in the UK stars that nice Kiwi Mr Crow now an aussie and behaves like one to.

http://www.reel.com/movie.asp?MID=7835

Again, I feel you missed the message in the film, as many lads in the UK did when It was first shown over here. It starts off making your feel the Skinhead way is a good true bonding and ends with you realising just how wrong they were. So yes, a very good film so long as you open your mind to actually understanding the message and don’t judge just on a gut reaction to the violence. More about the mistakes of youth seen world over rather than a particular statement on the horror of Australian life (which I feel is the point you are trying to push)
Old Jan 29th 2003, 9:00 pm
Dudley

Originally posted by Inked
Have you actually watched the Castle, its funny and heart warming.. if life is guaranteed to be like that in Australia… then it’s a lot better than a lot of folk have in the uk..

If you recall, the family were hard working, and succeeding. They had a main home and a holiday home and by the end of the film they have a successful business and a happy family - always willing to help the neighbours and relating well with those living round them

Sounds to me like you considered the family rather low - not having the best of everything - , almost a middle class English snobbery outlook on them.
Yes I have, unusually for a film, watched it several times and been moved every time.

My point is not to put down anyone, certainly not those doing for themselves the best they can with what is gifted to them.

My point is that some immigrants come with the same gifts but often expect to improve their lives materially and "spiritually". However they are at a disadvantage in that they have fewer resources to call upon than the locals, do not know the ropes and are not used to being as adaptable as the locals.

The English variety take to endless hand wringing and whailing and are not named "Whinging Poms" for nought.

There is no equivalent Australian name for non-English wingers - fortunately I have not had cause to search for such a name.

Fortunately also I have come across only a hand full of what, at a stretch, could be called Whinging Poms and while their wailing is a pain it is usually understandable in that that are saying they made a mistake.

Last edited by Dudley; Jan 29th 2003 at 9:11 pm.

Old Jan 29th 2003, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Dudley
Yes I have, unusually for a film, watched it several times and been moved every time.

My point is not to put down anyone, certainly not those doing for themselves the best they can with what is gifted to them.

My point is that some immigrants come with the same gifts but often expect to improve their lives materially and "spiritually". However they are at a disadvantage in that they have fewer resources to call upon than the locals, do not know the ropes and are not used to being as adaptable as the locals.

The English variety take to endless hand wringing and whailing and are not named "Whinging Poms" for nought.

There is no equivalent Australian name for non-English wingers - fortunately I have not had cause to search for such a name.

Fortunately also I have come across only a hand full of what, at a stretch, could be called Whinging Poms and while their wailing is a pain it is usually understandable in that that are saying they made a mistake.

Hmm the word pompous comes to mind – however…

In your initial argument, your seemed to be saying that if a person identifies with the characters in the film The Castle, then that person should rethink their thoughts on migrating to Australia because they might not be made of the right stuff to succeed. ….
Now you seem to be saying that in your opinion folk that could identify with the hard working, tightly knit self supporting family, not afraid to take on the State for what they believe in – namely the family in the film, would most likely turn out to be "Whinging Poms" should they have migrated from the UK.. your argument makes no sense…
Old Jan 30th 2003, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by mashiraz
The forums so quiet tonight, I've done all my jobs, nothing on telly, so what can I research now before I get bored and restless waiting for my visa.

What is everyone else researching?

Mash..
My apologies for taking your thread off track discussing films…
How about looking into building your own home.. Its something we are researching at the moment. Something we wanted to do in the UK and from the looks of things so far, seems more likely to happen for us in Australia. We are becoming experts on Termite control strategies – hadn’t realised that they could be such a problem. …, efficient cooling etc etc.. hours of research in this one.

Joe
Old Jan 30th 2003, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Inked, we built out house here 12 years ago so feel fairly confident on that one, although I might be tempted to build steel framed.

Anyone know anything about steel framed houses?

Can't face looking into the pension. I've got a head in sand arrangement on that one.

Mash..

My apologies for taking your thread off track discussing films…
How about looking into building your own home.. Its something we are researching at the moment. Something we wanted to do in the UK and from the looks of things so far, seems more likely to happen for us in Australia. We are becoming experts on Termite control strategies – hadn’t realised that they could be such a problem. …, efficient cooling etc etc.. hours of research in this one.

Joe
Old Jan 30th 2003, 4:16 am
Dudley

Hmm the word pompous comes to mind – however…

In your initial argument, your seemed to be saying that if a person identifies with the characters in the film The Castle, then that person should rethink their thoughts on migrating to Australia because they might not be made of the right stuff to succeed. ….
Now you seem to be saying that in your opinion folk that could identify with the hard working, tightly knit self supporting family, not afraid to take on the State for what they believe in – namely the family in the film, would most likely turn out to be "Whinging Poms" should they have migrated from the UK.. your argument makes no sense…
The word pompous occured to me also - sorry. I was trying to be both helpful and concise.

Yes, it would be tougher for them - they start with less resources and and might not be able to last until they get a lucky break. Also no employer is going to offer them a job before they leave because there are plenty of locals to choose from.

No, hard workers who can get along well will do OK - if they get a bit of good luck.

My point about "Whinging Poms" is that it can be tough for those who do not get a good break in time. And a few can not adjust quickly enough. On the other hand, there are lots of young single Poms on working holidays from modest backgrounds who do OK and have a bit of fun. But they do not have houses and family to think of and can easily knick off when they like.

Think of history also. After WWII the UK was relatively poor compared to Australia. Now its the other way around although the differences is not as marked. After WWII, Australia needed lots of all types of workers. Now it does not need immigrants for low paid work - it has plenty and could get plenty from South East Asia if needed - the White Australia Policy - a hangover from the British Empire - real but never official - is now dead. All this is reflected in the immigration points system.

Old Jan 30th 2003, 4:23 am
Dudley

Originally posted by mashiraz
Thanks Inked, we built out house here 12 years ago so feel fairly confident on that one, although I might be tempted to build steel framed.

Anyone know anything about steel framed houses?

Can't face looking into the pension. I've got a head in sand arrangement on that one.

Mash..
My brother had one built as his retirement home. From memory, I think it was a slightly more expensive. Worth investigating for an area where termites are a problem.

Old Jan 30th 2003, 10:31 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

The word pompous occured to me also - sorry. I was trying to be both helpful and concise.

Yes, it would be tougher for them - they start with less resources and and might not be able to last until they get a lucky break. Also no employer is going to offer them a job before they leave because there are plenty of locals to choose from.

No, hard workers who can get along well will do OK - if they get a bit of good luck.

My point about "Whinging Poms" is that it can be tough for those who do not get a good break in time. And a few can not adjust quickly enough. On the other hand, there are lots of young single Poms on working holidays from modest backgrounds who do OK and have a bit of fun. But they do not have houses and family to think of and can easily knick off when they like.

Think of history also. After WWII the UK was relatively poor compared to Australia. Now its the other way around although the differences is not as marked. After WWII, Australia needed lots of all types of workers. Now it does not need immigrants for low paid work - it has plenty and could get plenty from South East Asia if needed - the White Australia Policy - a hangover from the British Empire - real but never official - is now dead. All this is reflected in the immigration points system.
You are a bit of a lad Dudley are you an Aussie ? love your deep thought out reasoning it could be wasted on these good people .
You are right about what Australia needs right now for some reason it lacks well qualified people and as you say has a glut of cheap labour and does top this up with the Asians.
But if look at the Poms coming from the UK its mainley brickies , hairdressers , grease monkeys in fact most of these jobs could be done by local people .
Do not agree about only the Poms whinging they tend to complain because a lot of work methods and other things are way behind the UK , Aussies whinge and bitch about each other and their so called work mates.
Keep up the good work you are a most interesting poster , makes a change from the deluded Poms.

Old Jan 30th 2003, 10:43 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Again, I feel you missed the message in the film, as many lads in the UK did when It was first shown over here. It starts off making your feel the Skinhead way is a good true bonding and ends with you realising just how wrong they were. So yes, a very good film so long as you open your mind to actually understanding the message and don’t judge just on a gut reaction to the violence. More about the mistakes of youth seen world over rather than a particular statement on the horror of Australian life (which I feel is the point you are trying to push)

Sorry Pal I am not looking for messages in these flims , just a mirror of an Australian and Australia.
Not met any Rolf Harris's or Kylie's out here but have come across a few lads who I would rather not see twice even in day light , WA attracts some very hard boys because its a mining state some can can even put 2 grunts together.
Anyway you are getting me off tract all I was saying some Austalian flims are an insight to what is an Australian , they show cities and the people that live here.
Where as the Australian soaps are the biggest load of bull ever to be put on TV , these guys make the worst programs on the planet.

Old Jan 30th 2003, 11:26 am
Dudley

Sorry Pal I am not looking for messages in these flims , just a mirror of an Australian and Australia.
Not met any Rolf Harris's or Kylie's out here but have come across a few lads who I would rather not see twice even in day light , WA attracts some very hard boys because its a mining state some can can even put 2 grunts together.
Anyway you are getting me off tract all I was saying some Austalian flims are an insight to what is an Australian , they show cities and the people that live here.
Where as the Australian soaps are the biggest load of bull ever to be put on TV , these guys make the worst programs on the planet.

But MATE - it SELLS to Poms and Yanks!!! And it is a bit of harmless fuff.

Old Jan 30th 2003, 11:31 am
Dudley

You are a bit of a lad Dudley are you an Aussie ? love your deep thought out reasoning it could be wasted on these good people .
You are right about what Australia needs right now for some reason it lacks well qualified people and as you say has a glut of cheap labour and does top this up with the Asians.
But if look at the Poms coming from the UK its mainley brickies , hairdressers , grease monkeys in fact most of these jobs could be done by local people .
Do not agree about only the Poms whinging they tend to complain because a lot of work methods and other things are way behind the UK , Aussies whinge and bitch about each other and their so called work mates.
Keep up the good work you are a most interesting poster , makes a change from the deluded Poms.

Hey - True Blue .

Old Jan 30th 2003, 11:42 am
Banned

But MATE - it SELLS to Poms and Yanks!!! And it is a bit of harmless fuff.
Yes it does and its says alot for your average Yank and Pom , the best selling Newspaper in the UK is the Sun have you ever read it , gives an insight to how far the working class Brit has sunk.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/section/0,,2,00.html

Old Jan 30th 2003, 11:43 am
Dudley

Maybe my ears do the equivalent of eyes glazing over when whinging is about.

But in my most grovellingly humble opinion, the Poms are masters at winging. On the rare occassions when I do not bolt when it starts, its the types who reckon "the auforitees orta ..."

If, after recognising and defining a problem, they then got off their backsides and made a quid by doing it better then I'd stop and listen with both ears wide open.

Old Jan 30th 2003, 11:44 am
Banned

Hey - True Blue .
Given your our input a gentleman as well how refreashing a nice change from the Aussie battlers I have come across.

Old Jan 30th 2003, 11:48 am
Banned

Maybe my ears do the equivalent of eyes glazing over when whinging is about.

But in my most grovellingly humble opinion, the Poms are masters at winging. On the rare occassions when I do not bolt when it starts, its the types who reckon "the auforitees orta ..."

If, after recognising and defining a problem, they then got off their backsides and made a quid by doing it better then I'd stop and listen with both ears wide open.
I think Richard Branson would disagree with you , it takes a Brit to sort out your airline fares?
Nice to know we are world masters at something even whinging, reading the press here I thought we were crap at all things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.