Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What can I re-train for to earn $60K+

What can I re-train for to earn $60K+

Old Feb 4th 2004, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice
Default What can I re-train for to earn $60K+

I already have my visa, but wish to re-train as Ive only been offered crumby salaries in my current occupation.

I was conidering electrician/air conditioning but have heard people here saying that only fetches $35-45K.

Any trades out there which will earn a respectable salary and are in demand?
Old Feb 4th 2004, 12:06 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What can I re-train for to earn $60K+

Originally posted by 65 million
I already have my visa, but wish to re-train as Ive only been offered crumby salaries in my current occupation.

I was conidering electrician/air conditioning but have heard people here saying that only fetches $35-45K.

Where are you looking to move...can make a big difference.

confused printers wife in Sydney!

eg, like IT you can get in but then there are no jobs!

???? :scared:
Old Feb 4th 2004, 12:08 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of trades, but if you're not happy with the "crummy" salaries at the moment are you really willing to go through the pain of potentially 2-3 years of living on even crummier money as either a student or apprentice? Then possibly another 5-8 years working your way up to the decent salaries?

Last edited by Mairi&Chris; Feb 4th 2004 at 12:10 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2004, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant future

I'm in the same situation as you - so I look forward to the positive replies ! Can I ask what field you were in before?
Old Feb 4th 2004, 2:43 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jimbo9
I'm in the same situation as you - so I look forward to the positive replies ! Can I ask what field you were in before?
sorry for those that read previous post - anyway I am with Jimbo9

Cheers

Last edited by Sandra; Feb 4th 2004 at 2:53 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2004, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant future

They must be bidding up for English rugby coaches after the world cup !
Old Feb 4th 2004, 3:07 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jimbo9

Doubt if you will get any positive replies !

A$60k+ is a good salary and its not something that you can just think "oh I know , I'll do a 2week course and then get this kind of salary", cos if it was all the aussies would have already done it !

If you're looking for that kind of money then you are in for a long hard slog IMHO, and you will need some kind of college level qualification plus many years experience. Either that or your own business !!!

better surely to concentrate on getting a job you enjoy even if the money isnt in the so-called "big" league.
Old Feb 4th 2004, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Mairi&Chris
Doubt if you will get any positive replies !

A$60k+ is a good salary and its not something that you can just think "oh I know , I'll do a 2week course and then get this kind of salary", cos if it was all the aussies would have already done it !

If you're looking for that kind of money then you are in for a long hard slog IMHO, and you will need some kind of college level qualification plus many years experience. Either that or your own business !!!

better surely to concentrate on getting a job you enjoy even if the money isnt in the so-called "big" league.
I would have to agreee with M&C I'm afraid. YOu could retrain in a new trade that had potential to bring in $60k but surely for the first few years you would be an apprentice/junior and not likely to earn that kind of money initially. I guess you may have factored this in to your long term plans but just a thought.

A friend on the Sunshine Coast said she couldn't get builders for love nor money at the mo, such was the short supply...so something in the building industry or related to it may be worth investigating.
Old Feb 4th 2004, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

I take your point - and i would accept lower than 65K for a low stress job - i.e. no big commute or extened hours. Been thinking about teaching if i can get some allowance for my UK qualifications taken off the standard 4yr course. Still 1st year teacher salaries are only 40K - which i believe is a fair bit down on the average salary.
Old Feb 4th 2004, 3:26 pm
WBB

when you find out let me know!

Old Feb 4th 2004, 3:43 pm
A Bored of waiting member

stephenwhite68 will become famous soon enough

I think that goes for most of us ....
Old Feb 4th 2004, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

After reading lots of posts I.m.o you will need to change your thinking. As lots of immigrants are saying it's a lifstyle change and if they can no morgage, Thats the main reason there going making money is not high on the list.....Am i right ??????
Old Feb 4th 2004, 7:50 pm
Semper Vigilante

ButtonMoon is an unknown quantity at this point

You can earn 60-70,000 as a private investigator doing surveillance work.If you want to know more you can PM me
Old Feb 4th 2004, 7:51 pm
WBB

Originally posted by ButtonMoon
You can earn 60-70,000 as a private investigator doing surveillance work.If you want to know more you can PM me
60 - 70 what? shekles? rand? rupees?

Old Feb 4th 2004, 8:20 pm
Banned

userjay will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by jeannie
After reading lots of posts I.m.o you will need to change your thinking. As lots of immigrants are saying it's a lifstyle change and if they can no morgage, Thats the main reason there going making money is not high on the list.....Am i right ??????
Bang on the button in my case.depending on the job welding i could take a grand a week + kithcen fitting the same (especialy in home countys & landan) but like i said to the mrs as long as the mortgage is history id dig a hole for a man with a cotton bud in aus or move a pile of sand with a fork,not fussed me ,but thats me will just be chuffed to get away from this shit hole.
and please no comment about how biga shit hole aus can be too
will decide that for myself

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.