Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What to buy..Plasma / LCD ?????

What to buy..Plasma / LCD ?????

Old May 21st 2007, 9:27 am
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute
Default What to buy..Plasma / LCD ?????

Hi All

A bit of advice if you please:

New tv required...Do i buy HD Plasma (50") or HD LCD (50")

What have you bought ?

Cheers
Old May 21st 2007, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What to buy..Plasma / LCD ?????

Originally Posted by 4500 Times
Hi All

What have you bought ?

Cheers
Whichever looks the best picture to you. Don't believe the 'life span' hype.

P.s if it's LCD go get your eyes tested
Old May 21st 2007, 9:38 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Thats true, never mind about specs just look at them, if the more expensive model doesn't look any better get the cheaper one

Originally Posted by Gjn200
Whichever looks the best picture to you. Don't believe the 'life span' hype.

P.s if it's LCD go get your eyes tested

Last edited by themerlin; May 21st 2007 at 10:23 am.
Old May 21st 2007, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

GreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really nice

I went for the Panasonic Plasma instead of the LCD. i felt that the picture was miles better and that the re-action times of the when omparing both on moving objects were much better on the plasma by a mile.

But of coarse just my opinion some prefere LCD but defo. Plasma for me.
Old May 21st 2007, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

What have you bought ?

Cheers
We have a plasma and an LCD. 5 years ago when we got our plasma it was a no brainer, the quality of the plasmas was far superior to the LCDs. When we were looking a few weeks ago however, to us th epicture quality on the LCDs seemed alot better than the plasmas. So as others have said, look at the screens for yourself and get the one that looks the best to you
Old May 22nd 2007, 4:08 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Plasma have better contrast, since when the pixels are "off" there is complete black: LCDs have residual leakage of the fluorescent backlight. However, if you get a big screen, be aware that viewing close you will see the discontinuous nature of plasmas - they look a bit like a Seurat impressionist!

Also be aware that the larger screens may be inferior to the same model in a smaller size - it's to do with the way that the information is processed to make the number of pixels match. I believe Sony has this problem - the Bravia with the biggest screen has a worse picture than the next one down, which is superb.

LCD for me any time!
Old May 22nd 2007, 6:28 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Hi All

What have you bought ?

Cheers
i work for a company that invests heavily in both technologies
the boffins that know exactly how to excite phosphors say that it depends upon a number of viewing factors, a major one being ambient light in the viewing area
when you see the tv in the shop take in to account the lighting... if it's all brightly lit then you're not going to get the real effect of your home living area
Old May 22nd 2007, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

chris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to allchris34uk is a name known to all

lcd up to 32inch anything bigger go for the plasma
Old May 22nd 2007, 6:40 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

My research is a year or two old now but I went for the plasma. The LCD really struggled on fast moving sports and films with lots of blur. Probably all changed now but I am more than happy with the pioneer plasma.

Hi All

What have you bought ?

Cheers
Old May 22nd 2007, 7:15 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

For the cost, and if you have the room, I've heard some of the Sony Bravia HD rear projection TVs have better quality picture than LCD or Plasma.

Maybe worth checking out?

Big.
Old May 22nd 2007, 8:58 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't there some laser TV's coming out soon that are suppose to be cheaper and better quality than both. Know i read it somewhere a while back but not sure of the details now.
Old May 22nd 2007, 9:06 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

the best thing to do is look at loads of LCD and plasma tv's....then make up your mind. Make sure that they are showing FTA signal so that you get consistency...e.g. stick with channel 10, their broadcast is normally pretty good quality.

We've got an LCD, 32". It is perfect for our small lounge, which has plenty of natural light. When its night, and all the lights are turned off, you can see that the black levels are not the best.

However - don't be fooled by people who will tell you that the black levels on plasma are significantly better....they are only slightly better. You won't get a true black with plasma, just a slightly darker shade of grey.

If, by and large, you watch TV and play the odd video game, then go for LCD.

If watching movies is more important, and you watch them in a pretty dark environment, a big plasma is the best choice by far.
Old May 22nd 2007, 9:13 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Isn't there some laser TV's coming out soon that are suppose to be cheaper and better quality than both. Know i read it somewhere a while back but not sure of the details now.
Not quite there yet:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_tv
Old May 22nd 2007, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

sa2oz will become famous soon enoughsa2oz will become famous soon enough

Hi All

What have you bought ?

Cheers
We have an LCD but not 50" only 36". I think plasma is rated better at 50"
Over time they have all got closer in specs. We use the TV in a reasonably bright room so the power consumption is less than a plasma.
I also wanted HD so that limited the choice a lot.
The best is choose what you like best and see for some facts
http://whychooseplasma.com.au/
The thing is that when you see 20 together some will look better because the controls have been adjsuted, or lighting is better for some but once it's home and all you have is one in a room almost any will look pretty good.
Old May 22nd 2007, 10:56 am
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute

Tip: to seperate LCD from Plasma just look carefully when you have a Black background on the screen! Plasma will show Black and the LCD will show really dark Blue, try pointing this out to the salesman, dont listen to all the hype about screen burn, although almost all will have a whitewash setting to clear anything you might see in the background my kids watch all the channels with the stupid logo in the topcorners and we have never had any sort of screen burn so obviously we have never used the whitewash

Go PLASMA

Hi All

What have you bought ?

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.