Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what business is successful in sydney

what business is successful in sydney

Old Dec 2nd 2009, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

naufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to all
Post what business is successful in sydney

so from the perspective of doing business. what do you guys think .. what business oppurtunities sydney offers. in terms of commodities, services, import export. any website link related to that will be appreciated.

and how about just a small local sale / exhibition of cotton shirts/trousers will that be good for earnings?

regards

naufil
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 7:44 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: what business is successful in sydney

Originally Posted by naufil
so from the perspective of doing business. what do you guys think .. what business oppurtunities sydney offers. in terms of commodities, services, import export. any website link related to that will be appreciated.

and how about just a small local sale / exhibition of cotton shirts/trousers will that be good for earnings?

regards

naufil
Hopefully someone else can help you with this but didn't want to read and run.
I can't get my head round it at the mo but then it is first thing in the morning

best of luck
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm. Dont forget that Sydney is a city of 5 million people. There are unlikely to be be many marvellous products or services that haven't already been thought of and tried already.

To be honest I can't think of any product that I can't buy here - or any type of service that can't be had. There are certainly countless shops that sell cotton shirts and trousers .
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

Generali is a jewel in the roughGenerali is a jewel in the roughGenerali is a jewel in the roughGenerali is a jewel in the rough

regards

naufil
Aus is pretty small business friendly or at least I think it is from the number of small businesses I see!

There are a lot of people importing and selling clothing from Asia. The thing is you don't have a Tesco which is destroying most of the High Street by selling at a fraction of what you can afford to buy for as a retailer.

The thing Aus is really missing is a thriving eBusiness sector IMO. A Sydney or Melbourne based version of Occado could do very well.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

MUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really nice

Sex, always brings the money in the world over.

Occado ! Nothing more than a snobs wet dream. They have poured tens of millions into that and not made a single penny since day one. I can't see them being about in a few years.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

naufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to all
Post Re: what business is successful in sydney

Originally Posted by JenJen
Hopefully someone else can help you with this but didn't want to read and run.
I can't get my head round it at the mo but then it is first thing in the morning

best of luck
ok .. good.. i ll wait for your suggestions
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Post Re: what business is successful in sydney

Originally Posted by NickyC
Hmm. Dont forget that Sydney is a city of 5 million people. There are unlikely to be be many marvellous products or services that haven't already been thought of and tried already.

To be honest I can't think of any product that I can't buy here - or any type of service that can't be had. There are certainly countless shops that sell cotton shirts and trousers .
hmmm well.. but what if i get some cheap price t-shirts .. and what about leather made stuff like leather jackets ? do people buy it i know sydney has a tropical weather all year long but if they travel towrds north .. it might come handy..

regards,

naufil
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 7:01 pm
ABCDiamond

hmmm well.. but what if i get some cheap price t-shirts .. and what about leather made stuff like leather jackets ? do people buy it i know sydney has a tropical weather all year long but if they travel towrds north .. it might come handy..

regards,

naufil
You can buy some really cheap ones at the Sydney markets.

People in Sydney need the jackets more than us up North, its colder in Sydney in Winter.

Old Dec 2nd 2009, 10:32 pm
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

regards,

naufil
There is a glut of cheap cotton clothing in Australia, offered at high prices and, therefore, not selling. It is unsuited to the Australian environment where people use machines to wash and dry the clothes, which causes them to wrinkle, and where people must iron their own clothes due to the prohibitive cost of servants.

There is also a glut of cheap synthetic clothing, again offered at high prices and, therefore, also not selling well. Again it is unsuited as the poor synthetic fabrics are not comfortable to wear.

Blends of natural and synthetic fibres are more suitable because they wash and iron easily and are more confortable to wear.

The real problem is that the large shops, who buy cheaply, do not know or care about quality in clothing and the small shops must put big markups the prices to make a profit after their proportionately higher expenses.

Sydney is in the Southern Hemisphere. The equator is to the North of Sydney.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

Generali is a jewel in the roughGenerali is a jewel in the roughGenerali is a jewel in the roughGenerali is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by MUST LEAVE UK
Occado ! Nothing more than a snobs wet dream. They have poured tens of millions into that and not made a single penny since day one. I can't see them being about in a few years.
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...r-christmas.do

Set up nine years ago, the firm controls 25 per cent of the online grocery market and is growing at a rate of 35 per cent a year.
You make not like it but clearly many do.

I suspect you're one of those inverted snobs that delights in telling other people what they should and shouldn't like without realising the irony of what they're doing.

My idiot sister-in-law is the same.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

MUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really nice

Ok so I'm one of those strange people who runs a business, and still believes in making a PROFIT. I have had the pleasure of listening to the etonian whizz spill off his vision of brand value and magic numbers, non of which have created a profit in 9 years !!! and lets not forget this business is not even asset light, it's asset nil (you cant count 'goodwill' as a liquid asset.
As for market figure, most of these are arranged by pr companies. Go to a high street, grab 100 people and ask them if they have used john smith's shop. 25 say yes and there you have a 25 % market share. As for growth in sales / volume, but not profit or assets. Well I have increased by companies charity donation to the labour party by 100 % this year !!! I flushed a 1p coin down the toilet in their honour last year and a 2p coin this year.
Why should I care about any of this, or anyone else that doens'nt use the service ? Because like many others, I have a pension fund that invested in them either directly or via the venture funds involved. How is my pension doing, annual value is decreasing by about 20 % of what goes in every year.

As for the thread. Broad key to success in Oz. Well I hope some will agree, but in many sectors, especially manufacturing. Oz does seem about 20 years behind the UK, in terms of technology and efficiency used. Which creates a gap to make money. There also seems very little competition in some areas with often 1 or 2 main players in the whole vast country or the main guys own all the local outlets. In my industry their is one main player in Melbourne, who directly owns all the 'trade outlets' across the other states, they are ultimately owned by a British group down the road from me. With operations in UK, SA and Oz. The Oz lot have the second highest turnover, but make the biggest profiit by about 400 %.

As for online retailing, is it not the distances involved that put the public off. They have ebay in Oz, but it's not taken off like here in the Uk. At least that's what my uncle in Perth tells me, but then it could be that perth is just so far away from anything
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 10:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MUST LEAVE UK
Ok so I'm one of those strange people who runs a business, and still believes in making a PROFIT. I have had the pleasure of listening to the etonian whizz spill off his vision of brand value and magic numbers, non of which have created a profit in 9 years !!! and lets not forget this business is not even asset light, it's asset nil (you cant count 'goodwill' as a liquid asset.
As for market figure, most of these are arranged by pr companies. Go to a high street, grab 100 people and ask them if they have used john smith's shop. 25 say yes and there you have a 25 % market share. As for growth in sales / volume, but not profit or assets. Well I have increased by companies charity donation to the labour party by 100 % this year !!! I flushed a 1p coin down the toilet in their honour last year and a 2p coin this year.
Why should I care about any of this, or anyone else that doens'nt use the service ? Because like many others, I have a pension fund that invested in them either directly or via the venture funds involved. How is my pension doing, annual value is decreasing by about 20 % of what goes in every year.

As for the thread. Broad key to success in Oz. Well I hope some will agree, but in many sectors, especially manufacturing. Oz does seem about 20 years behind the UK, in terms of technology and efficiency used. Which creates a gap to make money. There also seems very little competition in some areas with often 1 or 2 main players in the whole vast country or the main guys own all the local outlets. In my industry their is one main player in Melbourne, who directly owns all the 'trade outlets' across the other states, they are ultimately owned by a British group down the road from me. With operations in UK, SA and Oz. The Oz lot have the second highest turnover, but make the biggest profiit by about 400 %.

As for online retailing, is it not the distances involved that put the public off. They have ebay in Oz, but it's not taken off like here in the Uk. At least that's what my uncle in Perth tells me, but then it could be that perth is just so far away from anything
Just a FYI for your uncle, ebay is 7th most popular site in OZ, 8th in UK so seems pretty similar.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

shafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really nice

I think lot of Australians due to their busy life style, enjoy eating out, so Why not try a resturant, or a pastry shop, BTW good cakes are in great demand,
Old Dec 5th 2009, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

What's missing here is good quality pre-prepared meals you can pick up at the supermarket. I think that could do very well. There are a lot of busy people with big incomes who don't have time to cook and don't want to always eat out.

A French style patisserie would also do well. I think there are plenty of business opportunities here.
Old Dec 5th 2009, 8:07 am
Mermaid

Hoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really nice

regards

naufil
If you really want to make some serious cash......start your own religion