Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is this? Brisbane beetle.

What is this? Brisbane beetle.

Old Oct 22nd 2006, 12:00 am
tin
Brisbane bound

tin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of light
Default What is this? Brisbane beetle.

We've got a swarm of these beetles outside our house (see attachment)

Anyone know what they are? The wife is a bit concerned she's not going to be able to get the washing out today, which would be a major crisis
Martyn
Attached Thumbnails What is this? Brisbane beetle.-beetle.jpg  
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 12:16 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What is this? Brisbane beetle.

Originally Posted by tin

Anyone know what they are? The wife is a bit concerned she's not going to be able to get the washing out today, which would be a major crisis
Martyn
Do they land upside down, seem unable to get up....then die?

I think they're called Christmas beetles

We had loads round about Xmas last year...... and year before.

Harmless. They only eat one kid at a time
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 12:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz

Where can I get some and do they eat men as well
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 12:23 am
BE Enthusiast

john_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
You thinking of getting him some for xmas??
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tin

Martyn

Spooky !!!!

They are called 'Washing Beetles'

Martin
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 12:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by john_w
You thinking of getting him some for xmas??

I can't wait THAT long !!
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 12:29 am
tin
Brisbane bound

tin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of light

That sounds like the one! There are hundreds of the things and the one piece of washing already hung was covered in them Hopefully they hurry up and die off so we can get on with more important things
Thanks
Martyn
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

sarahge is a jewel in the roughsarahge is a jewel in the roughsarahge is a jewel in the roughsarahge is a jewel in the rough

They're washing beetles. They're attracted to white washing - and any white clothes you're wearing (because the flower they like happens to be white and they're easily confused). The kids hate them cos they are covered in them on days they have to wear their white shirts to school and i hate them cos they land on my washing and crap all over it!!
They're harmless, just annoying. They'll be around for a few weeks and then you wont see them again until next year.
Sarah
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 12:35 am
tin
Brisbane bound

Originally Posted by sarahge
They're washing beetles. They're attracted to white washing - and any white clothes you're wearing (because the flower they like happens to be white and they're easily confused). The kids hate them cos they are covered in them on days they have to wear their white shirts to school and i hate them cos they land on my washing and crap all over it!!
They're harmless, just annoying. They'll be around for a few weeks and then you wont see them again until next year.
Sarah
A few weeks :scared:
I can't find any mention of them on google but that sure sounds like them.....
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 12:35 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Herewe go !!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Beetle.PDF (1.15 MB, 404 views)
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 12:37 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wendy
LOL...hope not.

I need mine for the gardening.

And cleaning.

And washing
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 12:40 am
tin
Brisbane bound

Originally Posted by tabby
Herewe go !!
Wow thanks - that's definitely the one!
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 12:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

LOL...hope not.

I need mine for the gardening.

And cleaning.

And washing

Good point!.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 12:54 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

They are harmless but my daughter came home from school the other day covered in tiny little marks that itched like crazy from where they had landed on her and her uniform is green and blue but she had loads on her. After an hour or so all the marks had gone but by then she had scratched herself silly
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 12:59 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
They are harmless but my daughter came home from school the other day covered in tiny little marks that itched like crazy from where they had landed on her and her uniform is green and blue but she had loads on her. After an hour or so all the marks had gone but by then she had scratched herself silly

Indeed - nothing in australia is harmless.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.