Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What brings happiness in Oz ?

What brings happiness in Oz ?

Old Sep 1st 2005, 9:59 am
Just Joined

jumpinjack will become famous soon enoughjumpinjack will become famous soon enough
Default What brings happiness in Oz ?

Some expats e.g. Bordy seem really happy living in Oz with very little negativity and I just wondered what it is that you enjoy so much ? Is it the weather, standard of living, proximity to nice beaches, people, space or what else ? just trying to get a feel for the life you lead out there.

No negative comments please - read enough of those for the moment !

p.s. thinking of Melbourne in particular
Old Sep 1st 2005, 10:08 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What brings happiness in Oz ?

Originally Posted by jumpinjack
Some expats e.g. Bordy seem really happy living in Oz with very little negativity and I just wondered what it is that you enjoy so much ? Is it the weather, standard of living, proximity to nice beaches, people, space or what else ? just trying to get a feel for the life you lead out there.

We're in Melbourne - and love it here.
No-where in the world is perfect - but we find Melbourne really suits us

Life here is what you make it (like anywhere). You may find that some people have things to moan about/something that doesn't suit - but I think the key is to try to adapt.

Good luck with your plans, and hopefully will be able to welcome you to Melbourne soon - 'the place to be'

Cas
Old Sep 1st 2005, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

hi there,wel you may or may noe know we ve been here just over 6 weeks now and its great t fet up to the sunshine in the morning,what a great start to the day,then everyone seems so cheerful,and cant do enogh for you,the open spaces are great,all the house have plenty of space around them and all the house aee individual when you wlk down a street,un like the UK when you can go down some streets and rows and rows of houses are the same its great to be close to the sea and also the city,fun watching all the water sports,great sitting on my balcony and thinking,my garden has a pool there shopping centrews all over the place,and eating out is very cheap,and you feel safe to go out at night to even in the city....need i go on...oh yes and the terestrial tv shows 3 films back to back on a saturday night un heard of in the Uk.

what makes you think i like it

tracey

QUOTE=jumpinjack]Some expats e.g. Bordy seem really happy living in Oz with very little negativity and I just wondered what it is that you enjoy so much ? Is it the weather, standard of living, proximity to nice beaches, people, space or what else ? just trying to get a feel for the life you lead out there.

p.s. thinking of Melbourne in particular[/QUOTE]
Old Sep 1st 2005, 10:13 am
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by jumpinjack

I know im not there at the moment, but on the two occasions I have been to Australia, I enjoyed the feeling of having found my place in life, my home.

And I look foward to the day I land in Australia, full of anticipation of the challenges that will face us.

I look forward to the hard work, sweat and tears it will take to make our life work.

And most of all, I look forward to sitting in my home, with a cold beer, with the man I love and we can both say 'We've made it'.

The rest will happen naturally.

Old Sep 1st 2005, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

horn of plenty how are ya
Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I know im not there at the moment, but on the two occasions I have been to Australia, I enjoyed the feeling of having found my place in life, my home.

And I look foward to the day I land in Australia, full of anticipation of the challenges that will face us.

I look forward to the hard work, sweat and tears it will take to make our life work.

And most of all, I look forward to sitting in my home, with a cold beer, with the man I love and we can both say 'We've made it'.

The rest will happen naturally.
Old Sep 1st 2005, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

1)The weather
2) The people
3) The lifestyle.

People often come on this site and say 'stop going on about the weather' but for us it was the main reason we left. We love the hot climate and there is nothing better than waking up every morning to sunshine and warm- bliss. I would miss that more than anything if we had to go back.

The people here are fab, so friendly and chatty. We have made lots of friends and do far more social things than we ever did before. We are off out back camping with our mates in the hols which I canno't wait for. ( Basically it means you get p****d every night around a camp fire)

The weather and climate give us a great lifestyle. I wake up look at the sea from my deck and feel good. The beaches are 2 mins away, sometimes I go for a sunrise walk along them with my dog or we go for an evening stroll and people talk to you! My children play outside all year round and we have a huge pool and spa in our yard. What more could we want?

Pictures: watching the ships go by from my deck and sunset at the beach.
Attached Thumbnails What brings happiness in Oz ?-davidmiscoz-024.jpg   What brings happiness in Oz ?-packenham-st-038.jpg  
Old Sep 1st 2005, 10:23 am
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by scissors
horn of plenty how are ya

Im not so bad thank you.

Plaster should come off this week!

Where are you working? Is it in hairdressing? Which reminds me, I only had mine cut 4 weeks ago and its down my back. I have magic hair.

Old Sep 1st 2005, 10:24 am
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by tinaj
1)The weather
2) The people
3) The lifestyle.

People often come on this site and say 'stop going on about the weather' but for us it was the main reason we left. We love the hot climate and there is nothing better than waking up every morning to sunshine and warm- bliss. I would miss that more than anything if we had to go back.

The people here are fab, so friendly and chatty. We have made lots of friends and do far more social things than we ever did before. We are off out back camping with our mates in the hols which I canno't wait for. ( Basically it means you get p****d every night around a camp fire)

The weather and climate give us a great lifestyle. I wake up look at the sea from my deck and feel good. The beaches are 2 mins away, sometimes I go for a sunrise walk along them with my dog or we go for an evening stroll and people talk to you! My children play outside all year round and we have a huge pool and spa in our yard. What more could we want?

I visited Caloundra and thought it was beautiful.

Old Sep 1st 2005, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I visited Caloundra and thought it was beautiful.

It is beautiful shame there are no bloody jobs though!
Old Sep 1st 2005, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

MAGIC hair :scared: i should bottle that i could make a fortune still a lady od leisure at the mo,through choice of course
what did you do(plaster)

QUOTE=Professional Princess]Im not so bad thank you.

Plaster should come off this week!

Where are you working? Is it in hairdressing? Which reminds me, I only had mine cut 4 weeks ago and its down my back. I have magic hair.[/QUOTE]
Old Sep 1st 2005, 10:27 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tinaj
1)The weather
2) The people
3) The lifestyle.

ooooh, tina, was only chatting to another 'old poster' a couple of weeks ago and we wondering how you were getting on! excellent post!!
nice to hear from you...glad to hear you are settled
sue
Old Sep 1st 2005, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
ooooh, tina, was only chatting to another 'old poster' a couple of weeks ago and we wondering how you were getting on! excellent post!!
nice to hear from you...glad to hear you are settled
sue
And you! We are all settled in nearly 2 yrs now- things have not been that smooth, but we have always loved being here. Just need to get a bit more money coming in and less going out.
Old Sep 1st 2005, 11:54 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

In no particular order,
The sunshine, the seafood, the diving, the fishing, the wildlife, the wide open spaces, the people, the attitude, the lifestyle and the family
PS and the home brew
Old Sep 1st 2005, 12:11 pm
chilled member

sloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
In no particular order,
The sunshine, the seafood, the diving, the fishing, the wildlife, the wide open spaces, the people, the attitude, the lifestyle and the family
PS and the home brew
I was trying to think the other day, what was so great about Brissie, then noticed.. its brighter.. everytime I remember London, all I remember was grey..

maybe its the sun, but people over here are a lot happier, more time for each other..

Also seem to do more.. taken up boxing, diving, cycling.. loads of stuff I never seemed to have time for in London, but manage to find time for over here (probably so I dont have to watch the crap they call TV over here.. )
Old Sep 1st 2005, 12:35 pm
Home at last

michellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to all

I think as well as everything everyone else has mentioned it also depends on why you left in teh first place. Some things won;t change no matterwhere you live - I think material/financial things and relationship issues will follow you regardless of where you live. If you're having a tough time with your partner, then moving across the world is not going to help matters! If you always spend more than you earn then you might get a few year's grace if you buy a cheaper house in Australia but your lifestyle will catch up with you.

I think that if you're a pretty happy person and things are going OK for you, you're not running away from other problems but you want to try something different or you specifically love an outdoors lifestyle and lots of sunshine then you will really succeed in your move to Oz. All the ther stuff is just material - the size of your house/car/how many times you eat out/having a pool are all lovely things that make life enjoyable, but if you are running away from a problem in the first place then you're just going to take it with you.

Michelle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.