Reload this Page >

What to bring to Oz?

What to bring to Oz?

Old Jan 23rd 2005, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

sitting here in limbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What to bring to Oz?

Hi Guys

Just looking for some advice re what to take with us to start our new lives.

Obviously we will be taking clothes, qualifications etc but are theer anythings you guys think are much cheaper/better quality in Britain or things that you can't get in Australia taht are easy to put in your luggage...I'm not thinking irn bru or decent chocolate I was thinking things like bedding etc

Many thanks
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 2:20 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of
Default Re: What to bring to Oz?

Originally Posted by sitting here in limbo
Hi Guys

Just looking for some advice re what to take with us to start our new lives.

Obviously we will be taking clothes, qualifications etc but are theer anythings you guys think are much cheaper/better quality in Britain or things that you can't get in Australia taht are easy to put in your luggage...I'm not thinking irn bru or decent chocolate I was thinking things like bedding etc

Many thanks
If you are bringing a container I would bring all the bedding you have, it is much better quality in the Uk and a fair bit cheaper, duvets are really crap here, they are very thin and overpriced.
I would also bring a front loading washing machine or at least buy one as soon as you get here, in 3 months pretty much my entire wardrobe has been pulled into funny shapes or ripped in the top loaders.

They are expensive here but at least your warranty will be valid if purchased here, In WA you get $150 off the government for buying a front loader because they use less water, I dont know if this is that case in other states.

Other than that I wouldn't worry too much
Old Jan 24th 2005, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice
Default Re: What to bring to Oz?

I agree with JayDee.

The toploaders are crap!!. They wreck your washing and the quality of was is naff (so the wife tells me!!)

With regards to the bedding, we bought a cheap set from Target and after the first was h it was unusable. We took it back and got a refund and then bought a better quality set from Myer (you get what you pay for I suppose).

If you use an electric razor make sure you bring your UK shaver plug as you won't get one here. We also bought some Uk power boards (4 plugs sockets in one unit type thing) so we can still plug British electrical equipment in like mobile phone chargers etc.

As for the rest, If you can flog as much stuff as possible before you come and can afford to buy new stuff then do it - it's very therapuetic