Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is the best flight time?

What is the best flight time?

Old Apr 22nd 2011, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

holly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really nice
Default What is the best flight time?

Hi everyone...

Just about to book flights for our 2 week reckie in Perth in September, and struggling to decide whether it is best to leave UK at night and arrive at night in Perth so we can go straight to bed, or leave in the day and arrive in Perth about 3pm?? Both flights are between 19 and 20 hours with same 90 min stop over.

Just wondered if any experienced long haul flyers could share which way round gives you the least amount of jet lag...

Many thanks.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Andy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to all
Default Re: What is the best flight time?

Originally Posted by holly13
Hi everyone...

Just about to book flights for our 2 week reckie in Perth in September, and struggling to decide whether it is best to leave UK at night and arrive at night in Perth so we can go straight to bed, or leave in the day and arrive in Perth about 3pm?? Both flights are between 19 and 20 hours with same 90 min stop over.

Just wondered if any experienced long haul flyers could share which way round gives you the least amount of jet lag...

Many thanks.

Well for me, I have only flown to the east coast, having taken off at 10pm'ish UK, and landing 6am'ish in Aus.

I have tried various things like going to bed immediately, having a nap, but now, I simply try to stay awake as long as I can on arrival, usually having a big old can of Red Bull or equivalent later on to help me keep going.

If you try this tactic, it may help if it is your first visit, as you will have the excitement of getting there to keep you going.

In all honesty, I don't find it easy (personally) to get over the upset sleeping pattern, and it takes me a good three days at least to get some sort of rhythm back. I just accept that the first few days will be all over the place now. But that's just me.

Everyone is different of course, and it may depend on how much sleep can get on the flight, whether you have kids in tow or not, etc.

Don't think there is an instant fix. If you find one, let me know please!

Enjoy your trip.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

holly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Andy_P
Well for me, I have only flown to the east coast, having taken off at 10pm'ish UK, and landing 6am'ish in Aus.

I have tried various things like going to bed immediately, having a nap, but now, I simply try to stay awake as long as I can on arrival, usually having a big old can of Red Bull or equivalent later on to help me keep going.

If you try this tactic, it may help if it is your first visit, as you will have the excitement of getting there to keep you going.

In all honesty, I don't find it easy (personally) to get over the upset sleeping pattern, and it takes me a good three days at least to get some sort of rhythm back. I just accept that the first few days will be all over the place now. But that's just me.

Everyone is different of course, and it may depend on how much sleep can get on the flight, whether you have kids in tow or not, etc.

Don't think there is an instant fix. If you find one, let me know please!

Enjoy your trip.
Cheers for your advice, we haven't done long haul for about 6 years, so it's hard to remember how awful it was...think I am hoping for some miracle way of traveling without getting that overwhelming wave of tiredness.
I do remember on our first night of our honeymoon in Thailand I fell asleep at the table in a restaurant sitting up...lol! Was wanting to avoid that again!!

We have a 2 and half year old daughter, but she will be staying with my mum while we go away, so that will make it easier to sleep on the flight. (Hopefully!!) At least I can get away with few wines/gins then as well!!!
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Andy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to all

At least I can get away with few wines/gins then as well!!!
Well, even if that tactic doesn't work, it should be fun trying!

Given the choice of arriving at night, or arriving at 3pm, I personally would go with arriving at 3pm.

You will still be cream-crackered, but at least you can make the most of the afternoon you arrive, especially as your trip is a relatively short one of a couple of weeks.

Assuming you are booking accommodation and not staying with friends/relatives, then this would also maximise your stay. If you book a 14 night stay, arriving at night and going straight to bed ticks one night off and you haven't seen or done anything yet.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I never have a problem leaving as late as possible so I arrive early in the morning (whichever direction). Then I stay up until totally knackered then sleep all night. Lucky enough that I dont seem to have a problem - I do sleep as much as I can on the flight and only recently realized that my travel sick pills (the wonderful Avomine) are helping me do that. Travelling with a couple of small grandkids this year and the d-i-l is insisting that we have a 12 hour break in Singapore so she and the kids can have a sleep in a real bed - wuss!
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 10:48 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

if you arrive in the morning or afternoon-ish, stay off the wine on the last leg of your flight. There is nothing worse than a hangover, however negligible, going on top of the jet lag. A glass of red before going to sleep though is totally other matter
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 11:55 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

After numerous back and forths, I reckon the best option os to leave UK lunch time (ish).
Get on board, have a few drinks, lunch, a few more drinks and a movie - then sleep.This is typically sleep time in Aus by now and with a few drinks and sitting still I soon drop off.

Wake up early for breakfast as you are coming into Asia

Day flight down, then bed as normal that night.

Easy, no jet lag.

The night flights are awful and make sleep really difficult. Remember the "theory" is get onto destination time asap. If you leave UK at 10pm, this means 5am Perth so getting up time. Are you willing to stay awake ALL flight?
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 8:28 am
Just Joined

jeopardy99 is an unknown quantity at this point

i've tryed staying up but it never works so i stay awake for a little while then have a nap in the afternoon and then get up and go to bed at normal time and have no trouble with sleeping or waking up.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 12:23 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
I never have a problem leaving as late as possible so I arrive early in the morning (whichever direction). Then I stay up until totally knackered then sleep all night. Lucky enough that I dont seem to have a problem - I do sleep as much as I can on the flight and only recently realized that my travel sick pills (the wonderful Avomine) are helping me do that. Travelling with a couple of small grandkids this year and the d-i-l is insisting that we have a 12 hour break in Singapore so she and the kids can have a sleep in a real bed - wuss!
I'm the same, late night flight, sparrow-f@rt arrival time, same in both directions. Usually sleep a bit during the second part of both flights, then I stay up all day till I do a spectacular collapse about 10-10.30pm (I have even fallen asleep on a pub stool before now!). 8 hours sleep, fine from then onwards
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 12:58 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

First time over I was flat on my back with jet lag, dehydration and nausea for 4 days ... I had to fight not to get admitted to the hospital I was visiting the OH in (imminent childbirth) ... I had much free Jim Beam on the way and it was not helped by meeting a very nice Scotsman on the final leg. He eased me into Brisbane life, fatherhood and marriage, fine bloke, no idea what his name was ...

I can recommend this ... Get plastered (and sod the kids for once, done this on latter visits to the UK) and deal with the fallout later ... It makes for a more interesting life.

Either that or eat macrobiotic organic chicken that has been read to sleep every night and listen to Sting's solo albums ... I hear they are an ace jetlag deterrent.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 1:07 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone...

Many thanks.
Definately go for the daytime flight.

My jet lag is always much worse on the night flight - On the night flight I find it hard to sleep and also hard to sleep once arrived in Perth, whereas the daytime flight I can have a few glasses of wine, get a few hours sleep on the flight, battle through the afternoon on arrival then zonk out at 10-11 pm and be ready to go the next morining.