Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what is Autralia Like

what is Autralia Like

Old Dec 3rd 2002, 12:55 am
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Looking at wage rates in America I would be paid at lest $25 US per hour which is nearly twice the wages I get here , fuel is cheaper in USA so is most food as is eating out , even beer is less and most taxes.Homes look about the same so if you are worse off is it because of the area you are in? or the jobs you do.
Depends where you are living PB. ie. what state. We took an extra year to get here because we could not afford to live in San Francisco (long story). Yes I agree the gas (fuel) is cheaper, it is not really cheaper to eat in restaurants - plus you are expected to tip the waitperson 15% - even if it is shite service. Alcohol-definitely cheaper - yee haa - encourages me to drink more You are getting ripped on your wages. If I was on my rate that I was on 3 years ago I would be on AU$36, my hubby would be on AU$55 - which sometimes he was actually on more there. I do not live in a flash area, where I live is classed as a middle class area (around US$170-200,000 average). Sorry can't let you win most of that debate

If you are looking at the spring, then you may still be there in March??
Old Dec 3rd 2002, 1:05 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by suebo
Depends where you are living PB. ie. what state. We took an extra year to get here because we could not afford to live in San Francisco (long story). Yes I agree the gas (fuel) is cheaper, it is not really cheaper to eat in restaurants - plus you are expected to tip the waitperson 15% - even if it is shite service. Alcohol-definitely cheaper - yee haa - encourages me to drink more You are getting ripped on your wages. If I was on my rate that I was on 3 years ago I would be on AU$36, my hubby would be on AU$55 - which sometimes he was actually on more there. I do not live in a flash area, where I live is classed as a middle class area (around US$170-200,000 average). Sorry can't let you win most of that debate

If you are looking at the spring, then you may still be there in March??
To earn the money you where on in Aussie is not available to me or my wife where as by moving to USA our money would double , I know of no one whos is earning anywhere near the figures you quote here.
Looking in the local paper most jobs in Perth are half the rates you quote , but if I could equal your ex-earnings it would seem a lot better .
Having been to America we found it more weathly than Aussie and on the whole cheaper , but the poor were less well off .

Old Dec 3rd 2002, 1:16 am
BE Enthusiast

We are both contractors, that is why we probably earn a little more. We don't get the perks of holidays or super, but we have our own funds and have had for the past 18+years. As for hols, we can afford to take one if we want to. (time off I mean). When I was working full time as a secretary, I was still earning US$28 and that was 9 years ago. You should have a chat to your employers - if they don't know you are leaving, maybe you can squeeze a few more bucks out of them
I don't know about more wealthy here.. I don't see that (most of my neighbours are strugglers)- more arrogant maybe. Some of the technology is further behind than OZ and on the other hand I am sure some is more advance (yet to find it) - but I gotta love that drive through banking. But I hate that I have only come across one drive through bottle shop - who takes cash only - what a pee off

BTW, I have just dropped my hubby at the airport, so am sitting back having a CC & DC, what are you doing on line PB????? Shouldn't you be hard at work
Old Dec 3rd 2002, 1:28 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

We are both contractors, that is why we probably earn a little more. We don't get the perks of holidays or super, but we have our own funds and have had for the past 18+years. As for hols, we can afford to take one if we want to. (time off I mean). When I was working full time as a secretary, I was still earning US$28 and that was 9 years ago. You should have a chat to your employers - if they don't know you are leaving, maybe you can squeeze a few more bucks out of them
I don't know about more wealthy here.. I don't see that (most of my neighbours are strugglers)- more arrogant maybe. Some of the technology is further behind than OZ and on the other hand I am sure some is more advance (yet to find it) - but I gotta love that drive through banking. But I hate that I have only come across one drive through bottle shop - who takes cash only - what a pee off

BTW, I have just dropped my hubby at the airport, so am sitting back having a CC & DC, what are you doing on line PB????? Shouldn't you be hard at work
I am afraid that we must live in another Australia to you as we find that most things are behind Europe never mind the USA , as for the wages my wife has just gone after a job only paying $45k AUD there where 2000 people after the positions available most over qualified for it.
I am flat out at work in this so called Hi-Tech Perth rest home for the unemployable.

:
Old Dec 3rd 2002, 2:07 am
BE Enthusiast

I am afraid that we must live in another Australia to you as we find that most things are behind Europe never mind the USA , as for the wages my wife has just gone after a job only paying $45k AUD there where 2000 people after the positions available most over qualified for it.
I am flat out at work in this so called Hi-Tech Perth rest home for the unemployable.

:
You sure you are not on unemployment wages there????Is that what they are paying you?

Well that is $21.00 per hour that is nearly double you!!!!!! What are you complaining about if the wife gets that job?
Old Dec 3rd 2002, 2:08 am
BE Enthusiast

What are nurses paid in UK....in UK$?
Old Dec 3rd 2002, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

I am sure that some of the technology is more advanced in UK than USA too. They say it is the melting pot of the world, but sometimes you have to wonder
Old Dec 3rd 2002, 2:17 am
Banned

You sure you are not on unemployment wages there????Is that what they are paying you?

Well that is $21.00 per hour that is nearly double you!!!!!! What are you complaining about if the wife gets that job?
Might be earned about $50k last year the wife about the same a couple of grand less , 9 years ago in UK we earned 40k in pounds ($112 AUD) between us so we have hardly gone forward , our son in UK alone earns that plus his girlfriend is not far behind.
Old Dec 3rd 2002, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

But PB, you can not convert it, different lifestyles and standards of living. I have given up here converting as I only get dissappointed. On the conversion we would earn more in OZ (and probably more anyway), but we accept what we get here and get on with it. If I converted everything I think I would be in the mental ward by now - maybe being treated by your wife. BTW loaf of bread here AUD3.00 for a half decent one. That is my point.

If you guys are on $100,000 between you, you should have nothing to compain about. Better stop those trips to the OB, bet you never miss out on going there when you want to!!:PARTY:
Old Dec 3rd 2002, 2:24 am
Banned

I am sure that some of the technology is more advanced in UK than USA too. They say it is the melting pot of the world, but sometimes you have to wonder
Well they do make the most Hi-tech weapons in the world and the Space Shuttle is beyond any other country not to mention the Aero-space industries.
Where America Leads others follow including Australia no Yankies no Holden Cars , in fact they own 65% of all large Australian companies.

Old Dec 3rd 2002, 2:30 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Well they do make the most Hi-tech weapons in the world and the Space Shuttle is beyond any other country not to mention the Aero-space industries.
Where America Leads others follow including Australia no Yankies no Holden Cars , in fact they own 65% of all large Australian companies.

And PB, we are helping an American client of ours to buy another Aussie company. Obviously confidential but watch the press in January - another large and supposedly proud Australian business cashes in for a fistful of US$.
Old Dec 3rd 2002, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Question...where did holden originate from Australia or USA, be precise with this answer
Old Dec 3rd 2002, 2:31 am
Banned

But PB, you can not convert it, different lifestyles and standards of living. I have given up here converting as I only get dissappointed. On the conversion we would earn more in OZ (and probably more anyway), but we accept what we get here and get on with it. If I converted everything I think I would be in the mental ward by now - maybe being treated by your wife. BTW loaf of bread here AUD3.00 for a half decent one. That is my point.

If you guys are on $100,000 between you, you should have nothing to compain about. Better stop those trips to the OB, bet you never miss out on going there when you want to!!:PARTY:
A loaf in Perth is $3.00 AUD whats different apart from the wages are half here , we are not making head way on our wage levels, I think you are out of touch with wages and prices in Australia its not as cheap as you seem to think.
Old Dec 3rd 2002, 2:35 am
Banned

Question...where did holden originate from Australia or USA, be precise with this answer
This was a joint operation with GM they set up all the plant and provided most of cash they went from 50% holding to owning out right.

Old Dec 3rd 2002, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

aussie bloke is on a distinguished road

dickheads still going on about bread !!
give us all a break and don't "drink and type" it turns into a useless forum about nothing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.