Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what is Autralia Like

what is Autralia Like

Old Nov 26th 2002, 10:38 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Santa
Hi Roger,

Bill Bryson the Travel Writer wrote a book called 'Down Under', he talks in some depth about different areas of Australia, it's a funny book and informative.
Good Luck
Santa
The same guy who wrote Notes from a Small Island (the UK), the one he chooses to live on.
Old Nov 26th 2002, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

madmancunian is an unknown quantity at this point

Wrong again PB - he is/has move back to the US.

Once more it's a case of fiction before fact.
Old Nov 26th 2002, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

My apologies to Suebo and other *balanced* people writing to this forum - my 'all guns blazing' sacarsm - was an attempt at humour to ridicule some of the rubbish written by self-professed experts.

Hint - my 'handle' is a nom-de-plume' only!
Old Nov 26th 2002, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

colind is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bill Bryson moved back to US

Indeed he has. He now lives in Hanover, New Hampshire. Irrespective of where he lives, it's fair to say his book on Australia is a good read (although you will not get a real understanding of what living in Australia is like from it - you'll only get that by living here)
Old Nov 27th 2002, 12:25 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by madmancunian

Yes he did and then moved back to the UK this year where he had spent 20 years and enjoyed it, you Sir are wrong again.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Nov 27th 2002 at 12:32 am.
Old Nov 27th 2002, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

Hi Roger

In an effort to placate the *balanced* people on this forum I will try to be a little sincere now. I have lived in England, Wales, Australia, and others (not telling though!), so in my experence:

1) Australia is great country especially for a young family - though you will miss your family more than you first imagine.
2) The scenery is spectacular if a little harsh at times
3) The people are friendly but also a little reserved - find something in common with them (eg children's activities) and the will let you into their lives.
4) The pace of life: Sydney is about the same - Melbourne a bit slower - Brisbane a lot slower - others??
5) Schools are good - but they won't pressure your kids as hard academicaly as English ones do
6) Health service is good - public health service not as good as NHS, but private health service is better. If you can, pay a yearly subscription - this covers mainly hospital work. Also get ambulance cover as this is not free.
6) No, not a lot of illegal immigrants - the numbers are tiny - but the Oz government feels it has to take a hard approach to deter future, potential immigrants.
7) The house prices are astronomical in Sydney - not so bad in other places. When you get here, don't rent - buy ASAP. The rental market is reaching saturation point - so investing in a second investment home is probably not a good idea right now.
7) Traffic is much less in all places (except Sydney), but the driving abilities of your average Aussie will open your eyes - it's entertaining at its best, intensly irritating at its worst.
8) There is so much natural beauty (that's free) - so it's up to you to get up, get out and enjoy the best things rather than sitting indoors moaning about the lack of english humour, lack of M&S, kids on the playstation, etc, etc.
9) If you can afford a holiday first - this is a must.
10) Don't forget - the cities might look similar-ish, but Australia is a different country where some (expats) just don't seem to get that through their skull. Adapt as soon as you can to the slower, more relaxed lifestyle and you'll have a great time.

All this seriousness is giving me a headache - time to put my mad-hatter cap on and go and annoy the luntaics in this asylum.

Ta ta for now
Mad, then Sad, and now Glad Mancunian.
Old Nov 27th 2002, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

colind is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Yes he did and then moved back to the UK this year where he had spent 20 years and enjoyed it, you Sir are wrong again.
I apologise if I am wrong, PB, but he must have moved back very recently, as he was living in New Hampshire on October 7, 2002 when he was interviewed by the BBC. Can't say I blame him if he has returned to the Yorkshire Dales...beautiful part of the world.
Old Nov 27th 2002, 1:37 am
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

My apologies too....I was in two minds if you were being sarcastic or not, thought you were another PB (no offence PB - I still want my drink

I am glad you did the second post though, as newbies would probably take the first one seriously
Old Nov 27th 2002, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

dpr21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Roger

In an effort to placate the *balanced* people on this forum I will try to be a little sincere now. I have lived in England, Wales, Australia, and others (not telling though!), so in my experence:
Something similar for me - Africa (South and central), England, Scotland and Australia (now). My observations are primarily based on living in Perth and visiting elsewhere in Oz.
1) Australia is great country especially for a young family - though you will miss your family more than you first imagine.
Friends too - but with the right attitude and a bit of effort it is easy to make like-minded friends here.
2) The scenery is spectacular if a little harsh at times.
But be prepared to drive/travel long distances at times. The weather can also be harsh. I love the sun but would not live in one of the hotter/humid places e.g. Brisbane - but each to their own vive la difference!
3) The people are friendly but also a little reserved - find something in common with them (eg children's activities) and the will let you into their lives..
I feel many are, perhaps, conservative (with a small c) rather than reserved. I totally agree with the way to go - find something in common e.g. sport, clubs, kids etc and have a positive attitude
4) The pace of life: Sydney is about the same - Melbourne a bit slower - Brisbane a lot slower - others??.
n general, for Perth at least, the pace of life is definitely slower but that's great. Wrt to work it is variable and can be made hectic if you choose.
5) Schools are good - but they won't pressure your kids as hard academicaly as English ones do.
Definitely (although like UK there is a lot of variability) - also there's more emphasis on physical activity. Private schools are excellent and relatively speaking some are pretty cheap.
6) Health service is good - public health service not as good as NHS, but private health service is better. If you can, pay a yearly subscription - this covers mainly hospital work. Also get ambulance cover as this is not free..
Yeah, if you used to the NHS paradigm you will have to get used to paying. But then the service is excellent (If you own and earn 'nothing' you are probably better off in the UK)
6) No, not a lot of illegal immigrants - the numbers are tiny - but the Oz government feels it has to take a hard approach to deter future, potential immigrants..
?? seems like it
7) The house prices are astronomical in Sydney - not so bad in other places. When you get here, don't rent - buy ASAP. The rental market is reaching saturation point - so investing in a second investment home is probably not a good idea right now..
I would go with that, other than that Perth (median) has had a more modest rise and not the ridiculous trends seen in some of the Eastern states. Experience elsewhere tends to make me believe that you should get your own place (to live in) asap. also wouldn't put too much extra investment in the rental market at the moment - depends on your investment strategies and risk profile
7) Traffic is much less in all places (except Sydney), but the driving abilities of your average Aussie will open your eyes - it's entertaining at its best, intensly irritating at its worst..
Standard definitely dodgy here vs UK (not vs Africa) - they tend to have difficulty merging 2 lanes. That said, the volume of traffic and speed limits are so much lower than it is far easier to drive here.
8) There is so much natural beauty (that's free) - so it's up to you to get up, get out and enjoy the best things rather than sitting indoors moaning about the lack of english humour, lack of M&S, kids on the playstation, etc, etc 9)If you can afford a holiday first - this is a must 10) Don't forget - the cities might look similar-ish, but Australia is a different country where some (expats) just don't seem to get that through their skull. Adapt as soon as you can to the slower, more relaxed lifestyle and you'll have a great time..
Totally agree with the rest

DPR
Old Nov 27th 2002, 2:30 am
Banned

Originally posted by suebo
My apologies too....I was in two minds if you were being sarcastic or not, thought you were another PB (no offence PB - I still want my drink

I am glad you did the second post though, as newbies would probably take the first one seriously
No offence at all Sue still on for the drink , I thought the second one was a send up still laughing now.
Old Nov 27th 2002, 2:34 am
Banned

Originally posted by dpr21

Standard definitely dodgy here vs UK (not vs Africa) - they tend to have difficulty merging 2 lanes. That said, the volume of traffic and speed limits are so much lower than it is far easier to drive here.

Totally agree with the rest

DPR
Very good ever thought about writting Non Fiction?

Old Nov 27th 2002, 3:20 am
Banned

This old stuff he has again moved back to UK London I was told why not Yorkshire god only knows,but it reads well.

Little peice from his book about Australia too.

Australia was slightly more important to Americans in 1997 than bananas, but not nearly as important as ice cream.
Australians can't bear it that the outside world pays so little attention to them, and I don't blame them.

Although Bryson has just moved his wife and children all the way from the Yorkshire Dales to Hanover, New Hampshire, his Anglophilia, which I share, is clearly never going to run out of steam. He adores Brits, even while he makes fun of them. In Notes From A Small Island, he describes them as the happiest people on earth.
"The British are so easy to please. It is the most extraordinary thing. They like their pleasures small. That is why so many of their treats - teacakes, scones, crumpets, rock cakes - are so cautiously flavorful. Offer them something genuinely tempting - a slice of gateau or a choice of chocolates from a box - and they will nearly always worry that it's unwarranted and excessive and unseemly."

Last edited by pommie bastard; Nov 27th 2002 at 3:30 am.
Old Nov 27th 2002, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

PB you are quoting an expat American, and using this as part of your 'ammunition' in an attempt to correct those brits who find some fault with the UK.

Surely brits who have lived all of their lives in the UK have greater experience of UK living than an *successful* american writer who is well off and has a better standard of living than most?

FYO, I like his books - but his writing prose, style and content has received critism in the US. Perhaps this is part of his reason to moving back to the UK - to sell more books?
Old Nov 27th 2002, 4:04 am
Banned

PB you are quoting an expat American, and using this as part of your 'ammunition' in an attempt to correct those brits who find some fault with the UK.

Surely brits who have lived all of their lives in the UK have greater experience of UK living than an *successful* american writer who is well off and has a better standard of living than most?

FYO, I like his books - but his writing prose, style and content has received critism in the US. Perhaps this is part of his reason to moving back to the UK - to sell more books?
He lived there 20 years hes more British than some on this forum and more down to earth and I also love his books , although the Yankies will never understand British humour which what he uses.

Come on look at the time are you in UK , I think not ?

Old Nov 27th 2002, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

Well my night-foreman job at the city cemetary is a bit boring you know!

Thank goodness they have given internet access to keep myself awake.

Maybe you should a write a book - 'My travels around the world and all the things I've found to moan about'.

I've started a book - it's got 3 chapters so far:

1) Hot and heavy
2) Spicy and saucy
3) Wet and Wild

Wot that's you're thinking? No, no it's a cookbook of course.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.