Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what aussie food do you miss?

what aussie food do you miss?

Old Oct 8th 2003, 5:01 pm
yer twistin mi melons man

johanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nice
Default what aussie food do you miss?

Im in a talkative mood tonight and im just wondering what foods do you miss from when you were in aussie?
I love and miss dim sims with soy sauce, peppermint crisp oohhh and dont forget twisties mmmmmmmmmmmhhhhh
can you tell im on a diet?
Old Oct 8th 2003, 5:10 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: what aussie food do you miss?

Originally posted by johanne
Im in a talkative mood tonight and im just wondering what foods do you miss from when you were in aussie?
I love and miss dim sims with soy sauce, peppermint crisp oohhh and dont forget twisties mmmmmmmmmmmhhhhh
can you tell im on a diet?
Fresh (read....straight from the sea) raw tuna with wasabi sauce.

Mint Patties

Burger rings

Violet cruimbles
Old Oct 8th 2003, 5:14 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Musk flavoured Life Savers! And at one time they did some that were Pine & Lime flavour.....heavenly!
Old Oct 8th 2003, 5:25 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Pollyana
Musk flavoured Life Savers! And at one time they did some that were Pine & Lime flavour.....heavenly!
What does musk taste like? Its a secretion from a gland on a deer you know

Are life savers the ones that look like polos?
Old Oct 8th 2003, 5:39 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, Life Savers are like Polos but thicker, come in all kinds of flavours. Trying to think what they actually taste like - probably the closest I can describe them as is like the pink/purple bits of those two-tone sherbet lollies, or pink Love Heart sweets. Its a very odd taste to describe! Have to get some once you're there Pete and see what you think.
Old Oct 8th 2003, 7:01 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Cherry ripes

Lamingtons

Muffins (you don't get them much here, but they're coming more and more)

Fish& chips (it's different here, and you don't get fish in a snackbar really)
Does fried pineapple thingys

Pumpkin scones/soup - can't get any pumpkin in my supermarket at all.

Potato chips in flavours like bbq, chicken, chives and onions er something like that.

There's probably more, but can't think of now...

EDIT: got the idea from tinaj
Some bisquits (sp?) including timtams and the family variety packs.

Last edited by Simone; Oct 8th 2003 at 7:53 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2003, 7:35 pm
dazuk

aussie foods i dont miss

Crap weak curries

cardboard like chips shop chips that are frozen anyway and cooked in lard urrrrggghhhh

Lack of variety of crisps, anyone wann tell the ozzies about monster munch quavers frazzles etc

Total lack of choice of decent vegetarian foods in the supermarkets and restaurants

Old Oct 8th 2003, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

By the way they now sell Tim Tams in Tescos! - saw the ad in TFT this week. I might have to go and buy a pack as I have never tried them.
Old Oct 8th 2003, 8:02 pm
yer twistin mi melons man

johanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nice

Originally posted by tinaj
By the way they now sell Tim Tams in Tescos! - saw the ad in TFT this week. I might have to go and buy a pack as I have never tried them.
REALLY oooohh i will have to go out and buy me some of those, nowt much to rave about but i remember them as being quite nice. Damn im on a diet, oh well sod it for another day
Old Oct 8th 2003, 9:15 pm
A Male Member

Originally posted by johanne
REALLY oooohh i will have to go out and buy me some of those, nowt much to rave about but i remember them as being quite nice. Damn im on a diet, oh well sod it for another day
They do all 3 flavors too.....

Choc, double choc and caramel.
Old Oct 8th 2003, 9:25 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

I wish you could get raspberry bullets in the UK.... my sister introduced me to them when I visited her last year.

Red licorice with chocolate coating, look like licorice torpedoes, for the benefit of anyone who hasn't a clue what I'm on about.

I bought them by the half kilo and scoffed them much too quickly - am now on a diet in preparation for my validation visit in February!

Elaine
Old Oct 9th 2003, 1:48 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

When in the UK I missed the SEAFOOD . Huge juicy prawns, mud crabs, sand crabs, Moreton Bay bugs mmmmmmmm! As for things like Violet Crumbles, you can always substitute chocolate for chocolate! Another thing was the range of stuff that you get in our bakeries over here. The UK just doesnt seem to have local bakeries that do things like lamingtons, cakes, neenish tarts, apple turnovers, caramel tarts etc. Well not anywhere I ever went anyway .

Over here I miss apple & elderflower juice, was never an apple juice fan until I tasted that! Yummmmmmm! You cant get anything even remotely like it here, nothing even comes close. Also the excellent onion bread from the deli in our village. Ohhhhhh & some of the great cheeses that you just dont seem to be able to get here.
Old Oct 9th 2003, 6:39 am
Home and Happy

Ooh yes, yummy seafood! I adore Moreton Bay Bugs! And the things that pass as prawns over here are a disgrace. Can't wait to get back out there to decent ones. I like the fish and chips over there too - I know some people have moaned about it, but I like the fact that you have to wait while they cook it, rather than over here where the chips have been kept hot for 20 minutes or so!
The cheese I will miss. I like flavoured stuff that you get from farm shops, beer and herbs, that kind of thing.
Old Oct 9th 2003, 6:52 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pollyana
Ooh yes, yummy seafood! I adore Moreton Bay Bugs! And the things that pass as prawns over here are a disgrace. Can't wait to get back out there to decent ones. I like the fish and chips over there too - I know some people have moaned about it, but I like the fact that you have to wait while they cook it, rather than over here where the chips have been kept hot for 20 minutes or so!
The cheese I will miss. I like flavoured stuff that you get from farm shops, beer and herbs, that kind of thing.
Cant understand how anyone could want food thats been cooked before hand & left sitting to get soggy & lukewarm . I guess its the same sort of people that like MacDonalds, but its not me!

Yummmm might have to get some prawns for dinner tonight now
Old Oct 9th 2003, 7:07 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

The sea food here is good. I would miss Le Paris Go, my local cafe. It is very laid back (45 minutes waiting for the food) but if you are not in a rush it is worth the wait. The Bondi Burger and the breakfast burritos are amazing.

At work the cafeteria serves up meals for the price of an M&S sarni in the UK.

The supermarket food is not that great but I have good local butchers, fishmongers and grocers within walking distance.

You do not get the fresh instant meals like in the UK but there are plenty of good takeouts around Bondi and the Eastern Burbs. There are decent curry houses popping up as well as the dirt cheap diners.

I would not miss twisties, milo, tim tams but cherry ripes do go down well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.