What AUD salary would give me a lifestyle equivalent to UK £75k

What AUD salary would give me a lifestyle equivalent to UK £75k

Old Apr 14th 2010, 8:53 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What AUD salary would give me a lifestyle equivalent to UK £75k

Originally Posted by coolshadows
are you using the exchange rate???

If so, are you suggesting that as the exchange rate rises and falls, the cost of living moves with it???

You'd be better using the long term exchange rate trend of 2.4x
Long term exchange rate trend!! The next time it hits 2.4 I will show my arse in Woolworths window.... you will wait a VERY long time before you see that rate again.

So you are suggesting I use an imaginary rate to calculate things as opposed to rate that actually exists?

Exchange rate movements may not immediately impact on prices... but they sure as Hell do long term.

Last edited by iamthecreaturefromuranus; Apr 14th 2010 at 9:01 pm.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 9:00 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kjj
Why not? I have significant skills and experience in service delivery and improvement and commissioning and I went from newly qualified to an 8a in 6 years with hard work, dedication and ambition and i have spent the last 5 years topping up my education and gaining experience at this level in various roles, showing measurable improvements and changes in the services that I have worked with.
You have significant skills in the UK... you have zero experience in an Australian market... and out here that makes a MASSIVE difference.

I'm not saying you wouldn't do the same here, just don't assume that because it happened once in the UK, it will all just repeat itself here. It's not a given.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:03 pm
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chortlepuss
It's not just me that finds Brisbane expensive then! For a 4 bedroomed house near-ish to the city you can easily pay $600-700 per week. We're paying that for a townhouse. Food is loads more expensive, (no Tesco two for ones), clothes much more expensive and don't get me started about travel/holidays if you actually want to leave Oz for any reason....

We love the climate, and the outdoors lifestyle, but you need a seriously big wage to live the dream of house with pool, boat, two cars etc. Our combined income is $150K, kids in state school, one small car and one holiday per year. Sorry if that sounds a lot of $, but theres not much left over at the end of the Month, and we can only dream about buying a house.

Sorry but i find this hard to believe......
Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

salopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=kjj;8495487]Why not? I have significant skills and experience in service delivery and improvement and commissioning and I went from newly qualified to an 8a in 6 years with hard work, dedication and ambition and i have spent the last 5 years topping up my education and gaining experience at this level in various roles, showing measurable improvements and changes in the services that I have worked with.[/QUOTE

Wow! Over confident and Bitish. Aussies are going to love you.

Last edited by salopian; Apr 14th 2010 at 11:13 pm.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
You have significant skills in the UK... you have zero experience in an Australian market... and out here that makes a MASSIVE difference.

True. A relative of mine doesn't seem to grasp this though (they've just applied for a visa). She is in IT and gets very excited when she looks at jobs in her field being advertised here. She is under the impression that since her skills are on the "critical skills list" she can waltz her way into a $100k paying job here

I can only hope she is proved right.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 11:22 pm
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Long term exchange rate trend!! The next time it hits 2.4 I will show my arse in Woolworths window.... you will wait a VERY long time before you see that rate again.

So you are suggesting I use an imaginary rate to calculate things as opposed to rate that actually exists?

Exchange rate movements may not immediately impact on prices... but they sure as Hell do long term.

Then why not wait until the exchange rate is is level ($=£), then you'd only have to earn the same amount in dollars as you do in pounds to have a similar standard of living.

Seriously though, you'd be better of working out a basket of shopping and then comparing say tesco to coles. That would likely give you a rough exchange rate of x2.2. Then there are the other cost such as housing/rent, cars, wages, taxes etc...

The exchange rate itself is a poor indication, as the UK pound has dropped but other currencies have faired better (like the YEN). so just because the UK is feeling the pressure, doesn't mean Australia has to start lowering prices!
Old Apr 14th 2010, 11:58 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by coolshadows
Then why not wait until the exchange rate is is level ($=£), then you'd only have to earn the same amount in dollars as you do in pounds to have a similar standard of living.

Seriously though, you'd be better of working out a basket of shopping and then comparing say tesco to coles. That would likely give you a rough exchange rate of x2.2. Then there are the other cost such as housing/rent, cars, wages, taxes etc...

The exchange rate itself is a poor indication, as the UK pound has dropped but other currencies have faired better (like the YEN). so just because the UK is feeling the pressure, doesn't mean Australia has to start lowering prices!
Go for it mate... if you can come up with a shopping basket comparison between Tesco and Coles that people on this board agree with then you are a better man than I.

To say that is one of the most argumentative topics you can choose is an understatement.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 12:00 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Go for it mate... if you can come up with a shopping basket comparison between Tesco and Coles that people on this board agree with then you are a better man than I.

To say that is one of the most argumentative topics you can choose is an understatement.
Shopping comparisons are the dullest threads on this board. Followed closely by housing threads.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
Shopping comparisons are the dullest threads on this board. Followed closely by housing threads.
Just returned from Safeway. Saw someone from Coles (with a "visitor" tag) noting down prices of stock in the store Looks like they're comparing prices too
Old Apr 15th 2010, 12:09 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by IndieG
Just returned from Safeway. Saw someone from Coles (with a "visitor" tag) noting down prices of stock in the store Looks like they're comparing prices too
maybe, due to the exchange rate, Safeways are now cheaper than their own suppliers.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 12:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
Tell me about it !!... but they still seem to get people worked up.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 12:13 am
Pie Eater

No, my point was for you to work out your own shopping list comparison (as everyone buys different things).
Old Apr 15th 2010, 12:14 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Surely I cannot be the only person who earns less over here (joint income of £45k back in Scotland) and has a better quality of life??? I work part time and earn about $6k per annum, hubby earns about $65k per annum! We receive no help from Centrelink as only temp, and don't get the living away from home allowance either, yet we have a much better life here!!

We live in WA, in Halls Head, which is the most desirable location (outwith Perth suburbs) to live!
Old Apr 15th 2010, 12:16 am
Pie Eater

Originally Posted by kar-kier
Surely I cannot be the only person who earns less over here (joint income of £45k back in Scotland) and has a better quality of life??? I work part time and earn about $6k per annum, hubby earns about $65k per annum! We receive no help from Centrelink as only temp, and don't get the living away from home allowance either, yet we have a much better life here!!

We live in WA, in Halls Head, which is the most desirable location (outwith Perth suburbs) to live!
Yeah, I can full understand moving from Scotland and ending up with a better life.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 12:17 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kar-kier

Most desirable for whom?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.