Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What AUD salary would give me a lifestyle equivalent to UK £75k

What AUD salary would give me a lifestyle equivalent to UK £75k

Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:18 am
kjj
Forum Regular

kjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to all
Default Re: What AUD salary would give me a lifestyle equivalent to UK £75k

Originally Posted by Grayling
Unless you have already been offered a job as a senior nurse manager then don't assume you will get one here.

Many nurses from overseas will only be offered a level 1 job unless they have applied for and been offered a senior post.

You will not automatically walk into a similar job to the one you have in England.
I would be prepared to take a job at a lower grade if that is what it takes to get in somewhere, but would not expect to drop from a UK 8a to an entry grade job in Aus. However if I do have to take a lower grade post I am confident that within a couple of years I would again have a senior post. I have not yet applied for any posts as it is too early yet - I only arrive in November, but a friend with a similar experience and qualification profile has recently secured a Nurse Grade 8 post prior to her arrival in June, so hopefully it will be possible for me too.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:25 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kjj
I would be prepared to take a job at a lower grade if that is what it takes to get in somewhere, but would not expect to drop from a UK 8a to an entry grade job in Aus. However if I do have to take a lower grade post I am confident that within a couple of years I would again have a senior post. I have not yet applied for any posts as it is too early yet - I only arrive in November, but a friend with a similar experience and qualification profile has recently secured a Nurse Grade 8 post prior to her arrival in June, so hopefully it will be possible for me too.
Would be better if you could sort something out before coming out. I've spoken to a few nurses and they weren't happy that they were doing night shifts (I guess the easiest jobs to come across are the ones no one else wants ).

One did later get a better job earning more in 3 days than she got in a week back in the UK, so it does work out.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:27 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4500 Times
I bought my property about 4 yrs ago, so yes we may have been lucky but the bottom line is, we live within our means, as we did in the UK.....
We could easily sell and upgrade but to what ?? Anything better than what we have is gonna cost $500,000, but sadly a lot of people feel as though they have to ( keeping up with the Jones syndrome ).

BTW We live in Shailer Park just south of Brisbane, so its a pretty good suburb i think...
heh heh...didn't read this post before I made mine. I was miles out ! But to be honest I didn't know which part of the country you lived in....sydney, melbourne etc....

I reckon you have hit the nail on the head. No need to "upgrade" something if you're happy already !!

Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:36 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

to the original poster, its a very hard question because the cost of living varies so much. London is much more expensive than Blackburn for example.

But if we are talking averages I would agree with several other folks here and say a multiple of somewhere between 2.2 and 2.5.... so that's somewhere between $165k and $183k.

If we go past the averages and start looking at sydney / melbourne / brisbane / perth inner suburbs within 10k you'd have to increase this....
Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coolshadows
you're not a conservative are you? you and your tax havens.
Dooobuy
Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:48 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

If you are having to take up a big mortgage the cost of housing will make a huge difference to the calculations, and really makes a comparison completely dependent on individual circumstances.

FWIW we built three years ago and the total cost of the house and land was almost exactly twice - in real terms - what we sold our roughly similar house for in the UK (using £1 = $2).
Old Apr 14th 2010, 11:18 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

We have people in this thread saying you need to be earning the equivalent of one hundred thousand pounds a year to keep the same standard of living as earning seventy five thousand a year in the UK... yet in thread after thread people will come on and say the cost of living between the UK and Australia is comparable. The two don't just don't match up.

....and are we really saying you need to be on $150k pa to be comfortable in Oz?
Old Apr 14th 2010, 11:18 am
Account Open

Originally Posted by IndieG
Any idea when the Henry Tax Review is going to be made available for public consumption?
monday 17th May. *

* ok it's just a guess.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 11:26 am
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

Good thread, thankyou,

I have similar concerns regarding a transfer of lifestyle and potential sacrifices, we have a (UK) household income a bit higher than the OP but the vast majority is from my income, we don't have what I would call an extravagant lifestyle but can always find the money we need to do what we like without too much fuss. As much as i'm keen to move i have concerns about going back to a life of calculators in supermarkets and saving for booze at the weekend.

I hope to score a $70k ish salary level when we eventually arrive and this is of great concern especially considering the feedback on this thread, best to go in with eyes open eh.

Currently going to use the visa delays to take our life off of hold and move house, get a new car etc etc and see how we feel if the visa ever comes through. Waiting for July shakeup tho just in case

Cheers
Old Apr 14th 2010, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Oh what I'd give to have a salary of £75k in the UK!!
Old Apr 14th 2010, 11:41 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by xzibit
Oh what I'd give to have a salary of £75k in the UK!!
Me too. I would be off like a shot.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 11:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rinkerdink
Good thread, thankyou,

I have similar concerns regarding a transfer of lifestyle and potential sacrifices, we have a (UK) household income a bit higher than the OP but the vast majority is from my income, we don't have what I would call an extravagant lifestyle but can always find the money we need to do what we like without too much fuss. As much as i'm keen to move i have concerns about going back to a life of calculators in supermarkets and saving for booze at the weekend.

I hope to score a $70k ish salary level when we eventually arrive and this is of great concern especially considering the feedback on this thread, best to go in with eyes open eh.

Currently going to use the visa delays to take our life off of hold and move house, get a new car etc etc and see how we feel if the visa ever comes through. Waiting for July shakeup tho just in case

Cheers
If you have an income over £75k in the UK, why would you move to Australia for $70k? It seems like many people manage on this as it is above average, but still it would be quite an adjustment to make.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 11:53 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
....and are we really saying you need to be on $150k pa to be comfortable in Oz?
no... of course not, but if you want to live a similarly 'well off' life style, like you'd have in the UK, then yes, you'd need to be earning a comparable amount here in Australia.

Note: The average salary i the UK is something like £26k, so someone on £75k is doing pretty well.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 11:59 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by coolshadows
no... of course not, but if you want to live a similarly 'well off' life style, like you'd have in the UK, then yes, you'd need to be earning a comparable amount here in Australia.

Note: The average salary i the UK is something like £26k, so someone on £75k is doing pretty well.
75 grand (Uk) converts to $123k pa.... yet people are suggesting you need a lot more than that to have a similar lifestyle here.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 12:02 pm
Pie Eater

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
75 grand (Uk) converts to $123k pa.... yet people are suggesting you need a lot more than that to have a similar lifestyle here.
are you using the exchange rate???

If so, are you suggesting that as the exchange rate rises and falls, the cost of living moves with it???

You'd be better using the long term exchange rate trend of 2.4x

Last edited by coolshadows; Apr 14th 2010 at 12:05 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.