Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What area's should we concider?

What area's should we concider?

Old Sep 19th 2005, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

familyof6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What area's should we concider?

I know, I know, almost an imposible question to answer but ive gotta start somewhere

We are a family with 4 children, 3 are at school and 1 is still a toddler and we live in rural dorset close to the seaside. Its not very cosmoplitan down here, Bournemouth and Poole are the nearest towns and we quite like the fact that we live out far enough for it to be quiet but a 15 minute drive and you're in a town centre with all the usual facilities. We have the best of both worlds in truth.

We're very outdoorsy, we love the beach and have a beach hut which we use l-o-a-d-s. H plays golf, Im on the PTA, the oldest 3 children are in girl- guides and cubs and enjoy lots of different sports.

we'd love to live somewhere by the sea, but with land which we could keep a few animals on and maybe grow veggies, the kids want quads to ride about on too so open spaces are a must.

But we are a large'ish family and as such need to be within driving distance of amenities, sport centre, school, shops, supermarket, train station, airport.

Also weather is an issue, I love the changing seasons the UK offers (except the biting cold) so we're thinking victoria would be a good choice for us, or even tasmania.

what do you think?
Old Sep 19th 2005, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Innyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud of
Default Re: What area's should we concider?

Originally Posted by familyof6
I know, I know, almost an imposible question to answer but ive gotta start somewhere

We are a family with 4 children, 3 are at school and 1 is still a toddler and we live in rural dorset close to the seaside. Its not very cosmoplitan down here, Bournemouth and Poole are the nearest towns and we quite like the fact that we live out far enough for it to be quiet but a 15 minute drive and you're in a town centre with all the usual facilities. We have the best of both worlds in truth.

We're very outdoorsy, we love the beach and have a beach hut which we use l-o-a-d-s. H plays golf, Im on the PTA, the oldest 3 children are in girl- guides and cubs and enjoy lots of different sports.

we'd love to live somewhere by the sea, but with land which we could keep a few animals on and maybe grow veggies, the kids want quads to ride about on too so open spaces are a must.

But we are a large'ish family and as such need to be within driving distance of amenities, sport centre, school, shops, supermarket, train station, airport.

Also weather is an issue, I love the changing seasons the UK offers (except the biting cold) so we're thinking victoria would be a good choice for us, or even tasmania.

what do you think?
Hi FO6 !

Welcome to hell !! Only kidding, welcome to Xpats.

I live in Fremantle, which is in WA. The weather is pretty good here all year round, although can pretty extreme in summer, 40+ degrees. It's spring now, was 25 today, and your average winter's day gets up to 15-20 degrees, although it can slip down 2 degrees at night.

Beach culture not bad here, very surfy. Pretty windy most of the time and the sea is quite cold. I mean not like the Med. Pretty similar to what you are used to in B'mouth. But when it's 42 you're glad of that...... I'm a Hampshire boy, so know where you're coming from re Dorset.....

Can't give you too much info re Victoria, only that I spent a winter there in 1985 and it's safe to say that that's the coldest August I've ever encountered.......But I've never been to Antartica....... Sure some of the Victorian Poms on here can put me right......

Good luck

IJ
Old Sep 19th 2005, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

We're off to Victoria, great scenery, mountains, rain forests, the Great Ocean Road, Wilsons Prom, a large city, roos, wombats you name it's there (apart from constant heat). I absolutely love it there. We have family over there and their kids seem to have such an idillic lifestyle. They have great seasons but the winters get quite cold. I can't help with the other states...I don't want to get tempted
Old Sep 19th 2005, 3:49 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pako
We're off to Victoria, great scenery, mountains, rain forests, the Great Ocean Road, Wilsons Prom, a large city, roos, wombats you name it's there (apart from constant heat). I absolutely love it there. We have family over there and their kids seem to have such an idillic lifestyle. They have great seasons but the winters get quite cold. I can't help with the other states...I don't want to get tempted
How cold does it get in Victoria? I think I like the sound of Victoria
Old Sep 19th 2005, 4:03 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by clippy
How cold does it get in Victoria? I think I like the sound of Victoria
In Winter it can get down to 2 or 3 degrees at night & 12 to 15 during the day.
Its no big hassle, its worth putting up with a couple of months of cooler weather to live in the best state in Aus.
Old Sep 19th 2005, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Innyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bordy
Its no big hassle, its worth putting up with a couple of months of cooler weather to live in the best state in Aus.
I don't agree. I found the best state in Aus is after a carton of beer and a bottle of JD.......
Old Sep 19th 2005, 4:10 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Innyjim
I don't agree. I found the best state in Aus is after a carton of beer and a bottle of JD.......
Ok I'll have to give you that one.
Old Sep 19th 2005, 4:15 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

LMAO! 2 to 3 degrees - that's not cold!

I could definately put up with that I need to do some more research into Victoria I think - I read somewhere they're short of Carpenters in that area too which is a real bonus
Old Sep 19th 2005, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ok I'll have to give you that one.
Cheers ! Not that I'm particularly bothered, but another WA pretender, two years running (?), to that very VFL of AFl crowns........? What are your thoughts ?
Old Sep 19th 2005, 4:19 pm
The Godfather

Originally Posted by clippy
LMAO! 2 to 3 degrees - that's not cold!

I could definately put up with that I need to do some more research into Victoria I think - I read somewhere they're short of Carpenters in that area too which is a real bonus
I'm not saying it is cold, I'm from the Scottish Borders where we used to get minus 10 often during the Winter.
I much prefer a few cooler nights than the heat & humidity further north.

The other bonus is because it gets cooler in Winter it means our insect population isn't as large as some other states.
Old Sep 19th 2005, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

flapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant future

I'm with Bordy on this. We have just come back from the suburbs of Melbourne, later stages of winter, quite nippy at night but fantastic sunny days. I can't think of anywhere else in the world I would rather live. Andy
Old Sep 19th 2005, 4:23 pm

I'm not saying it is cold, I'm from the Scottish Borders where we used to get minus 10 often during the Winter.
I much prefer a few cooler nights than the heat & humidity further north.

The other bonus is because it gets cooler in Winter it means our insect population isn't as large as some other states.
Ooh yes, I can imagine you saw some fantastic winters in Scotland.

Less insects is a double bonus, you're doing a good job of promoting Victoria
Old Sep 19th 2005, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eh.....??!!! Shane Warne''s from Victoria !!! They don't come much bigger than that.........
Old Sep 19th 2005, 4:27 pm
The Godfather

Originally Posted by Innyjim
Eh.....??!!! Shane Warne''s from Victoria !!! They don't come much bigger than that.........

Yeah so was Steve Irwin believe it or not.
Old Sep 19th 2005, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

familyof6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pako
Thank you for your reply. It really does sound like our kind of place. Im off now to do a bit more research on the web.