British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   what appliances work??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/what-appliances-work-503558/)

bugginmad2005 Jan 4th 2008 3:12 pm

what appliances work???

Hey, i am moving to oz and want to ship my household items over to, will my uk products work in oz with a plug adaptor or is it totally different???? i have a hoover washine machine tv and a few tools etc!!! any help appreciated!! :thumbsup:

Phoenix Jan 4th 2008 3:17 pm

Re: what appliances work???

I haven't found anything that don't work yet and we bought everything.

Bring UK trailing leads for items that can't be changed over, like computer transformers fro speakers etc.
All other items you can change the plugs over for.
You may need a set top box to get tele working but they all vary.

2 of ours work without but the newest one needed a box.

newjersey Jan 4th 2008 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Phoenix (Post 5739133)
I haven't found anything that don't work yet and we bought everything.

Bring UK trailing leads for items that can't be changed over, like computer transformers fro speakers etc.
All other items you can change the plugs over for.
You may need a set top box to get tele working but they all vary.

2 of ours work without but the newest one needed a box.

Hint - take a a few 4-plug extension cords with you, saves a lot on changing plugs over and the UK-Aus conversion plugs. Make sure they are properly fused, or you risk setting your house on fire!
NJ

newjersey Jan 4th 2008 3:42 pm

On a 2nd thought - TV cable/satellite boxes would almost certainly work - most TVs are fairly universal these days, but aerial may not be compatible. DVD players may be a pain in the arse due to region coding - that is if you did not get a region free (ahem) patch :) Conversely, European DVDs may not play in the Ozzie players if these were not region-free'd.

Phoenix Jan 4th 2008 3:51 pm

I find its best to bring a uk dvd player if you are bringing any of your dvd collection with you or may be sent uk ones as gifts.
We also have an aussie one to play rentals or new ones purchased here.

bugginmad2005 Jan 14th 2008 1:53 pm

awesome thanx for the advice guys!!! :thumbup:

nickyblonde Jan 14th 2008 4:21 pm

Has anyone taken telephones (as in house phone, not mobile) over and do they work ? I'm assuming that its the same connection in OZ as in the UK, but just want to make sure before shipping then to the other side of the world. :unsure:

Thanks
Nicky

Graff Jan 14th 2008 6:12 pm

Here is a great site I managed to find via a google search, answers many questions. http://www.movingdownunder.co.uk/files/faq.php

hoofie2002 Jan 14th 2008 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by newjersey (Post 5739256)
On a 2nd thought - TV cable/satellite boxes would almost certainly work - most TVs are fairly universal these days, but aerial may not be compatible. DVD players may be a pain in the arse due to region coding - that is if you did not get a region free (ahem) patch :) Conversely, European DVDs may not play in the Ozzie players if these were not region-free'd.

UK cable/satellite tv boxes will not work in Australia. Modern TV's will work [just retune them and change the sound setting - B/G I think ?]. Older TV's may need a cheap set-top box as the TV won't be able to decode the sound without one. The aerial sockets are the same though.

tartankoala Feb 10th 2008 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by nickyblonde (Post 5786252)
Has anyone taken telephones (as in house phone, not mobile) over and do they work ? I'm assuming that its the same connection in OZ as in the UK, but just want to make sure before shipping then to the other side of the world. :unsure:

Thanks
Nicky

Aye was just wondering that myself?

farrierswife Feb 10th 2008 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by nickyblonde (Post 5786252)

Thanks
Nicky

we just bought a new cable for ours and it works fine, they have the real small plug bits here like you have on the pc.