Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What appliances did you take to Oz?

What appliances did you take to Oz?

Old Mar 2nd 2004, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

MarkandJulie will become famous soon enoughMarkandJulie will become famous soon enough
Default What appliances did you take to Oz?

What did you ship out? What do you wish you had shipped out? What do you wish you hadn't shipped out? Will all electrical items work ok? What is best - take loads of adapters and extension leads or can you just cut the plug off and wire on an australian plug? (if so what about fuses?)
The more I read the more confused I get. Anyone know of a definitive list anywhere?
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 8:45 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What appliances did you take to Oz?

We shipped pretty much everything

Hoover (Clean it well though)
Microwave
Blender
Coffee machine
Fridge
Mini grill
stereo
television
playstation
video
radio
Clocks
Hairdryer
Computer

We did bring quite a few 4-gang sockets and changed one plug though as time goes on we are changing more and more plugs.

Our tele has not been modified yet though it works through an Aussie video.

I'd strongly recommend you bring as much as you can. Its amazing how fast your dollars disappear when going out on big shopping trips.
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Great list, thanks!
is it worth taking the washing machine as i don't fancy buying a top loader!
kind regards
rach x
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 9:19 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Some have even mentioned rabbits that are rather rampant.
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by bondipom
mines as dead as a dodo at the mo, needs re-charging!
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 9:23 pm
Finally back home

sally1968 is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by bondipom

At least they don't need to go into quarantine!!!
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 9:25 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sally1968

At least they don't need to go into quarantine!!!
And no breeding worries
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 11:35 pm
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

yes take your washing machine!!!!!
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't assume that your tv won't work over here. We brought ours expecting to have to use it through an Australian video but it works just fine without.
We also brought the dvd player which was a region 2 and so wouldn't play dvds bought in Oz - but abes ago on here someone put up a link to a site that has programs to de-regionalise your players. We downloaded it and tried it and it worked.

Claire
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 1:38 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

I brought the following:

TV
Video
Stereo
Computer
Printer
Other computer equipment
Kenwood Chef
Drill
Angle Grinder
Soldering Iron
Battery Charger (car)
Battery Charger (AA cells)
Phone charger (Nokia)
and probably a few other things I cannot think of.

I changed the plugs (oh hang on, you are not meant to change plugs, I mean I got the plugs changed) on things like the TV, video etc. Plugs here do not have fuses, though 4-way power boards typically have surge protection of some type - the more you pay, the better the protection.

I also brough over lots of power boards and got Aussie plugs put on those too. These are invaluable for the things that have some kind of transformer built into the UK square pin plug, such as power for my network hub, power for my scanner, my phone charger etc.

For my workshop tools, I have a fairly heavy duty UK extension lead and I have had an Aussie power breaker plug put on that.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

Location: From Warrington to Wollongong to Victoria Point (soon)
Thomaz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by nosuchluck
Great list, thanks!
kind regards
rach x
We bought a front loader here. Cost $599.

A good make - can't remember what though as I never use it myself and has a larger drum than the one we had in the UK. It does however only have an 800rpm spin speed but that's all you need here.

Main reason for going for the front loader was because they are more economical with the water usage - an important consideration here. Your's may be okay too but unless it's only a year or two old I would consider NOT bringing it if I were you..

unless it's not going to cost you any extra to ship it... in which case I would say SHIP EVERYTHING.
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

We took everything but were told the telly wouldn't work. I wish we had taken it to at least give it a go cos most folks seem to work okay. We didn't take fridge & freezer cos they were integral anyway.

A year later we still haven't changed all our plugs and are using Uk extensions with an aussie plug at the end. I have to take my blender into the laundry room everytime I want to mix something!!

Bring everything you can fit. You can always dump it once you get here if it's not needed.
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 2:35 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by DianeOZ
Bring everything you can fit.
Including the rabbit?
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

especially the rabbit
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 6:59 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by nosuchluck
Great list, thanks!
kind regards
rach x
I have to defend the top loader (washing machine, calm down WBB!)
I have a brand new one (water senser, without paddle) and its the bees knees (why are bees knees so highly rated? )
I would never go back to a top loader.

We still need to replace things that we didn't bring and the cash is running out, bring what you can.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.