Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What am I Letting myself in for?!

What am I Letting myself in for?!

Old Jun 3rd 2006, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

Liamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really nice
Default What am I Letting myself in for?!

Im 18 and going alone to Brisbane and staying innitaly with family, Ive booked my ticket (august 18th), everything is sorted, PR visa etc etc.

At the moment Im going on that basis of:

If I stay for a while but want to come home I'll call it traveling, but if I like it I'll stay indefinately.

But....

For people who are there, what are the REAL pro's of Australia? preferably Brisbane. Bearing in mind Im not worrying about a family/house at the moment

What am I letting myself in for in your opinion?
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What am I Letting myself in for?!

Originally Posted by Liamruscoe
Im 18 and going alone to Brisbane and staying innitaly with family, Ive booked my ticket (august 18th), everything is sorted, PR visa etc etc.

If I stay for a while but want to come home I'll call it traveling, but if I like it I'll stay indefinately.

But....

For people who are there, what are the REAL pro's of Australia? preferably Brisbane. Bearing in mind Im not worrying about a family/house at the moment

Whatever you want to make of it.

You have a lot of flexibility in your choices.

WW
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

OzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud of

At your age you've got nothing to lose and everything to gain! We have a 15 year old who has settled in wonderfully and I think you will have a fantastic time and if you get homesick then you can go home. Travelling when your younger is something I never did and regret it - I now have to travel with 4 kids in tow!!!

Good luck and I wish you all the best!

Jo
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 9:11 am
fingers crossed

heading south is an unknown quantity at this point

But....

I'm nearly 40 and didn't start travelling until I was 25 and my only regret is that I didn't start sooner. I've lived and worked abroad, I've been to lots of countries and the only advice I can offer is: you don't need advice on what you're letting yourself in for from anyone. You've done all the hard work - just go and enjoy yourself and then look back in a few years and reflect on what you let yourself in for in late 2006.

Heading South (should have done it years ago)
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

But....

You're letting yourself in for growing up, out all on your own to make your own way. Strange country, different customs and a new start all at 18! Good luck
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

i'm sure you'll be fine!!

i study in brisbane and there's a great bunch of people in my class... let me know when you get here and you can come out for a few beers with us!

One of the guys in my class is irish... he's just moved back over here (was here in his v early teens) after spending the last 6 years in ireland - he says he's loving being back again
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 2:21 pm
s**t rolls down hill

sparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud of

At 18 you have probably got another 70 years ahead of you.
moving away on your own at your age I'm sure that your filled with excitement while probably bricking it as well. to be in your situation at your age i fell envious of you. while I'm still young (about to have my 30th in a few days) i now have a family, which by no means do i regret having but do wish that i had done what you are about to undertake. you now have the world at your feet and endless opportunities waiting for you. no matter where or when you decide to hang your hat you will come out of this adventure full of confidence, memories and experiences that you will look back in years to come and say thank god i toke that opportunity when i did.
i wish you all the best in your forth coming adventure with only two bits of advice, enjoy every minute and always have enough money in your back pocket to get home.
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 9:03 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I left home at 16 and travelled alone for 6 years. I would stay in one place for about 6 months or until I got bored of it and then move on to the next. Usually worked either in hotels as a chambermaid or bartending/waitressing. Although I never left Canada, it was certainly the best experience of my life. I really think that those years made me who I am today, 20 years later.

So, in answer to your question, you are letting yourself in for the most wonderful adventure possible. Enjoy every second of it.
Old Jun 4th 2006, 3:32 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

But....

You should at least stay until you have got your Australian citizenship. By that time you'll have your own view on the pros and cons of Australia.

Then you can move on if you wish. Your Australian passport will allow you to live in New Zealand, for example, and if you have a professional occupation there's the new E-3 visa for Australians in the United States.

In the short term, if Brisbane doesn't suit you, maybe look at somewhere in another state.
Old Jun 5th 2006, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

Liamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really nice

Originally Posted by YoSemite
i'm sure you'll be fine!!

i study in brisbane and there's a great bunch of people in my class... let me know when you get here and you can come out for a few beers with us!

One of the guys in my class is irish... he's just moved back over here (was here in his v early teens) after spending the last 6 years in ireland - he says he's loving being back again
Sounds good might just have to take you up on that one! I know im never going to make new mates if i sit on my arse, so ill pm you nearer the time (Late august arrival)
Old Jun 5th 2006, 7:43 pm
Trainee Domestic Goddess

baglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond reputebaglady has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, Liam, you are moving out there from Brighton I see, and we are travelling from Worthing to Melbourne...

I ask myself similar questions all of the time, but after my experience of Brighton Beach on Saturday, I felt reassured that I am doing the right thing! Get out there and live to the full! You know, my theory is that I'd find it much harder to live with the regret of not seizing this opportunity than to do it and decide to come back over here.