British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   What airline for migrant double baggage allowance? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/what-airline-migrant-double-baggage-allowance-662062/)

johnnyyt Mar 31st 2010 5:14 pm

What airline for migrant double baggage allowance?

Any suggestions?

Johnnyyt

johnnyyt Mar 31st 2010 7:43 pm

Re: What airline for migrant double baggage allowance?

Got all excited for a moment as I thought there was a reply to my question.

Johnnyyt

louise Mar 31st 2010 7:46 pm

Ha ha, well here is a reply but not sure if it is any use to you.

If your visa has not been validated I have read that Emirates offer 50kg, not sure if any other airlines offer it?????

I'm sure someone else will be along shortly to give you more info.

:)

Centurion Mar 31st 2010 7:54 pm

Emirates standard baggage allowance is 30kg in economy. They offer no more to migrants.

Singapore offer 40kg to migrants on a perm visa being used on its initial entry. If you have entered before on your visa since its grant then you may not take advantage of this.

Qantas offer 40kg on special migrant only fares, however these are not necessarily cheap fares and the question of whether you want to fly BA/Qantas alliance is now relevant.

Or you can travel via any US route, such as with Air New Zealand and have 2 pieces of luggage each person weighing 23kg each for a combined allowance of 46kg.

I believe that's the current up to date list more or less.

I have also noticed your question about 475 visas. Singapore air have reportedly declined the extra allowance to people on the forum before, however a couple of people from memory got away with it. I suspect that's more pot luck of who checks your visa at the airport check in sadly. Perhaps one of the other options are a more guaranteed way of obtaining more allowance.

Do remember though that it is not particularly expensive to send a few cases with an alternative cargo carrier such as excess baggage.

johnnyyt Mar 31st 2010 10:21 pm

Spoke to Qantas customer helpline and they are unable to give me a price for a migrant air fare as you need to apply to Aussie gov but baggage allowance is 40 kilos.

Does any body know how/where to apply for this?

If you go migrant air fare via LA you get 4 x 23 kilo per person but the flight is London - LA - Brisbane - Adelaide.

Normal fare on tis route is £647 adult and 2 x 23 kilo

Normal route London - Sydney - Adelaide adult fare is £504 and 1 x 23 kilo

Emerites allowance, as Centurian has stated above, is 30 kilo, - no migrant extra allowance.

I have also spoke to Singapore Air who can't confirm or deny ATM that a 475 visa will get migrant baggage as visa label in passport says Temporary and their website says indefinate stay. I have had to email them back and explained that I have seen posts on the froums where 475 holders got this allowance. I can only hope......

Johnnyyt

Jaycee1 Apr 1st 2010 4:46 am

We came with Emirates in September 09.
We used the migration website code UKMOVE1. You then go to the Emirates desk at the airport (we chose Manchester but cannot remember what the other choices were) within 3 days of booking online and pay for the tickets and show your visa grant letter. I asked about the lugguage allowance and was told its 50kg each even the children :thumbsup: So we had a 200kg allowance. I also emailed them to double check - did not want to pay excess baggage!!
This was the main body of the reply email from Emirates:

Thank you for your email.

As you have booked through the Moving Planet website, you would be entitled to the 50kg baggage allowance subject to holding migrant visas for Australia (valid for more than 12 months stay).
To apply for the additional baggage allowance, you would need to send copies of your passport photo page and visas to [email protected] This may be a copy of the visa letter or the visa shown in the passport.

Maybe email Emirates to confirm before booking?
BTW, Hi Louise
J x

Wendy66 Apr 1st 2010 5:46 am

Originally Posted by johnnyyt (Post 8463197)

Any suggestions?

Johnnyyt

We had validated already and booked the flight to finally move over through the 'IOM' (as on your visa paperwork) they book it for you, we still found the cheapest (for us at the time) they use Qantas - you have to pay in US dollars and you get the 40kg luggage each plus hand baggage.

You can change/amend your seats closer to the time yourself on the Qantas website and we added a bike ourselves on the website.

johnnyyt Apr 1st 2010 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Jaycee1 (Post 8464658)
We used the migration website code UKMOVE1. You then go to the Emirates desk at the airport (we chose Manchester but cannot remember what the other choices were) within 3 days of booking online and pay for the tickets and show your visa grant letter. I asked about the lugguage allowance and was told its 50kg each even the children :thumbsup: So we had a 200kg allowance. I also emailed them to double check - did not want to pay excess baggage!!

As you have booked through the Moving Planet website, you would be entitled to the 50kg baggage allowance subject to holding migrant visas for Australia (valid for more than 12 months stay).
To apply for the additional baggage allowance, you would need to send copies of your passport photo page and visas to [email protected] This may be a copy of the visa letter or the visa shown in the passport.

BTW, Hi Louise
J x

Thanks, i will have a look at this today.

Originally Posted by Wendy66 (Post 8464722)
We had validated already and booked the flight to finally move over through the 'IOM' (as on your visa paperwork) they book it for you, we still found the cheapest (for us at the time) they use Qantas - you have to pay in US dollars and you get the 40kg luggage each plus hand baggage.

You can change/amend your seats closer to the time yourself on the Qantas website and we added a bike ourselves on the website.

I emailed them last night for details of how to book, still waiting for the reply.
I wish these airlines websites made it easier to to locate this info.

How was your flight with Qantas - there have been mixed reviews on the forums - did you travel with kids (if you have them)?

Johnnyyt

lesleys Apr 1st 2010 10:36 am

Don't forget Air NZ for the 'via US' option, and they fly directly from Auckland to Adelaide.

freebo Apr 1st 2010 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Jaycee1 (Post 8464658)

BTW, Hi Louise
J x

Does this only apply to one-way fares?

Jaycee1 Apr 1st 2010 10:49 pm

Yes I am sure its just one way. Email and ask to confirm
J x

Wendy66 Apr 21st 2010 6:29 am

Originally Posted by johnnyyt (Post 8465079)
Thanks, i will have a look at this today.

I emailed them last night for details of how to book, still waiting for the reply.
I wish these airlines websites made it easier to to locate this info.

How was your flight with Qantas - there have been mixed reviews on the forums - did you travel with kids (if you have them)?

Johnnyyt

Would def use Qantas again, personally liked them better than Cathay but there was nothing 'wrong' with Cathay either, it's personal choice as everything some people have a good exp and some unfortunately bad.

Hope you have sorted now.

emma jayne Apr 21st 2010 12:28 pm

baggage allowence- whos the best to go with?

hi anyone know many airline companys that give extra bagggage allowance?

booking our flights for july/ aug time and hoping to take as much as we can :thumbup:

hollykimalan Apr 21st 2010 1:04 pm

We got the 50KG from Emirates 6 months ago when we came over....
That UKMOVE code thingy gave us cheaper flights too at that time anyway...
HKA
x

tartantopgun Apr 21st 2010 1:15 pm

Emirates still giving 50 kg per person as I fly on Sunday and have had it all confirmed by email. Ukmove1 code must be used and be a one way ticket. :)