Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what aged did you start your child in school (NSW)?

what aged did you start your child in school (NSW)?

Old Jul 14th 2009, 12:05 am
Just Joined

benny02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what aged did you start your child in school (NSW)?

My daughter will turn 5 in june 2010, so she 'could' start school in feb, however she will be a young one at 4.5years when she starts.

has anyone got any advice on what they did in regards to starting their little ones in school this early? or even held them back till they were 5.5 years?

thankyou
Old Jul 14th 2009, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what aged did you start your child in school (NSW)?

I did not have this dilema with any of mine. The question to ask yourself is, will she be mature enough to start school then. If you think that she will cope send her. If you think that she wont cope too well, keep her home. She wont be disadvantaged if you do. If in doubt go to the school and get the principals opinion. Not too much help I'm afraid.
I have seen both decisions in action. Some June birthdays go through without a hitch and others repeat a year somewhere along the way.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 3:12 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Are you in NSW now? Check with the principal or NSW education site. I'm not sure kids can start real school at that age in Australia - probably kindergarten. Certainly in NZ kids can't start until they are 5, and Australia's starting age is later, but I get a bit mixed up with kindy, prep and school.

One thing I've noticed about Oz schools though is that the kindy, prep and school are often on the same premises so they know the drill, just attend for different lengths of time.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 3:51 am
Just Joined

Thanks for replying.

Yeah we are in sydney and she attends a pre-school (playgroup). Ive been to see the head teacher at the actual school in our catchment area which she will attend and she is ok to start in feb.
I was just looking for other expats experience when they sent their children to school here, aged 4.5 or 5.

thanks
Old Jul 14th 2009, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwinow
Are you in NSW now? Check with the principal or NSW education site. I'm not sure kids can start real school at that age in Australia - probably kindergarten. Certainly in NZ kids can't start until they are 5, and Australia's starting age is later, but I get a bit mixed up with kindy, prep and school.

One thing I've noticed about Oz schools though is that the kindy, prep and school are often on the same premises so they know the drill, just attend for different lengths of time.
In NSW the cutoff date is 31st July, so it's quite OK for the OP's daughter to start school. Kids starting school in NSW have ages ranging from 4.5 to 5.5.
Kindergarten is 'real school' - it's the name for the first year of full-time schooling.

The issue for the OP is not whether her child is allowed to start school (she is, no question) but whether she will cope OK, bearing in mind that most parents hold their children back a year to avoid having them be the youngest in the year.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 4:09 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

She'll definitely be able to start - the question is whether she'll be with kids of similar aged or dwarfed by six year old giants who were held back for a year by their parents. Generally speaking girls are ready for big school a *lot* sooner than boys. My son started when he was 4.5, couldn't cope, we took him out and sent him with the next year's admissions. Does she have that organised temperament that little girls tend to have? The ability to listen to instructions from adults and carry them out?
Old Jul 14th 2009, 6:43 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by benny02
My daughter will turn 5 in june 2010, so she 'could' start school in feb, however she will be a young one at 4.5years when she starts.

has anyone got any advice on what they did in regards to starting their little ones in school this early? or even held them back till they were 5.5 years?

thankyou
Mine started Kindergarten in NSW in Jan 2001, at age 4yr 8 months, and she turned 5 in the May of that year.
She did have the option to start the following year, but at interview she was assessed as being OK for starting.
She was the youngest in the class, during the K and Year 1 school years, in NSW.

The funny thing is that when we moved to QLD, she was no longer the youngest in class, even though she stayed in the same year streams. Here, she is midway in the age range.

Old Jul 14th 2009, 6:55 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by NickyC
bearing in mind that most parents hold their children back a year to avoid having them be the youngest in the year.
No one told me that

But it worked out OK

Old Jul 14th 2009, 8:58 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Our youngest is a July baby and she started school here when she was a touch over 4.5 years. We had only arrived in Australia the September before so she would have started school then had we stayed in the UK. Having been primed to start school in the UK, we felt that she was definitely mature enough to start here 4 or so months later but I guess it does depend on the individual. No regrets from us - she is now doing very well in year 3 having only turned 8 last week and is the youngest in her year.

Hope it works out for your daughter with whatever decision you make.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

Originally Posted by benny02

thankyou
My daughter has a March birthday and has settled well, but she is one of a number of 'younger' ones. Including 3 who turned 5 this month. I have found school in aus to be much more formal environment than the play-based uk curriculum so maybe also bear that in mind when making your decision. ask the pre-school teachers as well who will also have some idea and experience to judge as to whether or not she is ready.
If you are here permanently it is also worth thinking about how you/she will feel when she is in Year 12 and is one of the youngest when all the others could be driving and drinking!
Old Jul 15th 2009, 1:54 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Katherined0
I have found school in aus to be much more formal environment than the play-based uk curriculum
This comment caught my eye, as I was sure that I heard the opposite being said many times.

Maybe it varies with different locations ...

Old Jul 15th 2009, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Mine is not 4 yet but I have serious doubts about her starting school at just 5....a LOT of kids here are nearly 6 (well around my area) and the youngest kids are January birthdays and that isn't even young when you consider the cut off date.....if they are ready emotionally and intellectually then go for it.....

I am in the North Shore of Sydney BTW so I know it differs everywhere...however a LOT of boys AND girls are starting at 5.5 or nearly 6 up this way I guess you need to follow the advice of the preschool AND decide what you think...
Old Jul 17th 2009, 10:35 am
Just Joined

thankyou everyone for all your advice, very helpful.