Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What age do kids start School???

What age do kids start School???

Old Jun 13th 2005, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

cooperman is on a distinguished road
Default What age do kids start School???

Do kids start schhool at 5 or 6 in oz as My little girl goes to school at 5 in england but we are led to beleive its 6 in Oz??

/

/
Old Jun 13th 2005, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What age do kids start School???

Hi,
I don't know if it differs from state to state. We are in vic and they start in the Jan after they turn 5, so most kids are somewhere between 5 and 6 when they start. If they are going to turn 5 before 30th April they will be allowed to start in that school year, but a lot of parents hold them back until the following year.
Ruth
Old Jun 13th 2005, 11:33 pm
ABCDiamond

Mine started at 4 yrs 8 months in NSW. (She is currently in the middle of the age range in her class.)

In QLD the current rule is:
"Preschool: Children must be four years old by the last day of December to attend a state preschool the following January"

"Primary: To be enrolled in Year 1 in January, children must be five years old by the end of the previous year. Under special circumstances, children may be enrolled at a younger age"

Preschool in QLD is the equivalent of Kindergarten in NSW, and reception class in the UK.

Old Jun 14th 2005, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

Pandanda is on a distinguished road

Muchus years ago I started at 4 and a half . Don't know anyone who started when they were 6
Old Jun 14th 2005, 2:36 am
BE Enthusiast

YFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant future

In W.A. my little boy started Pre Primary (reception) at 4 years 10 months.
Daughter who was Year 2 in UK is Year 2 here also.
HTH
Yv
Old Jun 14th 2005, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

cooperman is on a distinguished road

Many thanks for all your replies,seems clearer now ,Cooperman