Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what age do kids start high school?

what age do kids start high school?

Old Apr 1st 2007, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute
Default what age do kids start high school?

Hi,
is it right that they generally go back a year because they start a year later??
Particularly in qld (don't know if it varies from state to state).

So...if a child is 11, do they start jan 08 or jan 09

thanks in advance

Sam
Old Apr 1st 2007, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

goingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to all
Default Re: what age do kids start high school?

HI
I have just e-mailed a school in Brisbane about this because my son's b'day is on 1st Jan, and this is the start date for the new school year. He is half way through his first year in secondary at the moment, but from what i have been reading, he will go back to primary school when we get to Brissie in July!, he is not happy and he is already not happy about leaving his new friends so this has just topped it off really. I will let you know when i get a reply if it will help, unless anyone else know and replies sooner
Old Apr 1st 2007, 7:53 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goingozwards2007
HI
I have just e-mailed a school in Brisbane about this because my son's b'day is on 1st Jan, and this is the start date for the new school year. He is half way through his first year in secondary at the moment, but from what i have been reading, he will go back to primary school when we get to Brissie in July!, he is not happy and he is already not happy about leaving his new friends so this has just topped it off really. I will let you know when i get a reply if it will help, unless anyone else know and replies sooner
its not that strict to be honest
our daughters birthday is in november so she should be in year 9
she started school and they assessed where she was up to with her education, as she`s a bright kid they moved her up to year 10 where the work would be more of a challange

regards steve
Old Apr 1st 2007, 8:39 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

It's not as rigid as that. Most schools seem to assess the child and their work (so get what you can from their current school before arriving). Ours are much younger and we thought one might even end up in Prep again (a big step backwards for him) but they arn't stupid here and could see that it would not have worked. The work they are doing does seem to be a little behind their classes in the UK, but they are finding it refreshing to relax a little after the stress of moving out.

I would have thought that you don't really want to stretch them too much straight away. They will have enough on their plate "fitting in" and making new friends.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 8:56 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sammyg
Hi,
is it right that they generally go back a year because they start a year later??
Particularly in qld (don't know if it varies from state to state).

So...if a child is 11, do they start jan 08 or jan 09

thanks in advance

Sam
My daughter isnt 11 until August, so here in the UK she would have been going to senior school in September, something i dont think she is ready for. I for one will be pleased if she doesnt go to High School until January in Aus!!!

Just hope she settles in ok.............C x
Old Apr 1st 2007, 9:44 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by goingozwards2007
HI
They cant make him go back to primary school. If he is half way thrpugh year one then he will prolly go back and start year one. It wouldnt be good for him to go back to Primary
Old Apr 1st 2007, 9:49 pm

My daughter will be 12 years 5 months when she starts high school in Jan 08 she would have been half way through Year 2 if she were in the UK.

I think it has done her good though,,,as she hasnt struggled with the work and because of that has found it easier to edjust to Aussie school.

She is sooo confident now, she was so shy and quiet in the UK it drive us mental, but the school here has just done wonders for her...she is treated as an individual not just another pupil. She is now a school leader and we cant beleive that she has progressed so well after a HUGE life change
Old Apr 1st 2007, 9:56 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
My daughter will be 12 years 5 months when she starts high school in Jan 08 she would have been half way through Year 2 if she were in the UK.

I think it has done her good though,,,as she hasnt struggled with the work and because of that has found it easier to edjust to Aussie school.

She is sooo confident now, she was so shy and quiet in the UK it drive us mental, but the school here has just done wonders for her...she is treated as an individual not just another pupil. She is now a school leader and we cant beleive that she has progressed so well after a HUGE life change
Thats so good to hear, as our daughter is not very confident with her peers and struggles in her current class, partly due to her age i think.
Hope she settles and gains confidence like your girl!!!! C x
Old Apr 1st 2007, 10:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

They start high school in the january after they have turned 11. If its one day you may get an exemption., because ages in classes vary so much.

For a start many people hold their kids back. Or eg. our sons 9 and 'gifted' (much used phrase for UK educated kids but he really has been tested at high school levels, anyway so hes 9 most kids in his class are 10 and 11 but one boy is 12, all in one class.

But remember high school here is only 3 years if they want to leave in grade 10, which they can as long as they have a job/training. And even if they do the A level equiv (grade 12) its only 5 years so your daughter would end up finishing high at 16, is that a bit young to be deciding on uni etc? GIven the party/car culture here in high school its probably worth thinking about the maturity angle too. EG our sons going to have mates in his class with cars almost 3 years before him that sort of thing.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by shiels
Thats so good to hear, as our daughter is not very confident with her peers and struggles in her current class, partly due to her age i think.
Hope she settles and gains confidence like your girl!!!! C x
Im sure she will.......Z was a rip roaring pain in the arse...she wouldnt ask for anything, she wouldnt talk to her teachers, she wouldnt get up and talk in class. She struggled with her maths in the UK, I didnt say anything when she got here cos I wanted them to find that out....within 6 weeks she was getting extra help with maths, the teacher she got for that was fantastic, and although she will never be a mathmetician, she doesnt struggle and get upset anymore. She helps the wee ones with there reading and they all look up to her.....sounds like an angel but she really is a wee witch when she wants to be lol
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 7:51 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

Originally Posted by biggy
Im sure she will.......Z was a rip roaring pain in the arse...she wouldnt ask for anything, she wouldnt talk to her teachers, she wouldnt get up and talk in class. She struggled with her maths in the UK, I didnt say anything when she got here cos I wanted them to find that out....within 6 weeks she was getting extra help with maths, the teacher she got for that was fantastic, and although she will never be a mathmetician, she doesnt struggle and get upset anymore. She helps the wee ones with there reading and they all look up to her.....sounds like an angel but she really is a wee witch when she wants to be lol
Are you sure you have'nt got my daughter, as it sounds just like her!!!
What school does your daughter go to? C x