Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what is adelaide like

what is adelaide like

Old Feb 4th 2009, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: what is adelaide like

Aye British weather's great, that's why they're all moving here! Face it, you can't let go luv. Debs moved to Australia for a couple of years and she can't get over it. Poor Debs.
She sounds totally over it to me!
Old Feb 4th 2009, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Glasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde
She sounds totally over it to me!
If she was over it she wouldn't be obsessed with telling everyone how crap it was and move on to her wonderful life in the UK but no she's hanging about here which screams that she's not over it.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Maybe she doesn't want people to make a terrible mistake??
Old Feb 4th 2009, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

rightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to all

Sprintman and -Debs-

Can one ask if you have now found the place you wish to spend the rest of your life? (genuine question)
Old Feb 4th 2009, 11:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Surely the only mistake would be for the OP to take advice from complete strangers?

Opinions are good, but there's not one of us on this thread that is right or wrong. An opinion is not a fact for anyone other than the person who states it.

I really feel for people that don't settle, and I think it's great when they move on and find the place they want and need to be - but that doesn't mean they can tell everyone else that the place THEY didn't settle in is a shit hole does it.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Glasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Surely the only mistake would be for the OP to take advice from complete strangers?

Opinions are good, but there's not one of us on this thread that is right or wrong. An opinion is not a fact for anyone other than the person who states it.

I really feel for people that don't settle, and I think it's great when they move on and find the place they want and need to be - but that doesn't mean they can tell everyone else that the place THEY didn't settle in is a shit hole does it.

Exactly!
Old Feb 4th 2009, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rightruccus
Sprintman and -Debs-

Can one ask if you have now found the place you wish to spend the rest of your life? (genuine question)

For the foreseeable future this is my home. Who knows what circumstances arise to change plans in the future.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

What's a terrible mistake for one doesn't mean it will be the same for another.
People are coming and going from Australia all the time. We're all on our own journey and have to find if it's right or not. I think it's wonderful to live in an age where you can move and settle on the other side of the world or move back if you don't like it. I don't like avocados but I wouldn't stop my kids from trying them and that's the same for people wanting to give adelaide a try.

I'd like to add that this will be my last post on the matter. I sincerely wish everyone the best on their journey. I'm glad you've found happiness at home Debs, I really mean that. It doesn't matter where we all eventually settle as long as we're happy.

Last edited by Glasgowlass; Feb 4th 2009 at 11:41 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

Kristo has a spectacular aura aboutKristo has a spectacular aura aboutKristo has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Wendy

Yes, well said Wendy.

I think you've summed up what has gone wrong in this thread. It's not the differing opinions that's the problem, but the nasty way they are flung about.

By all means people should leave Adelaide if they don't like it, and those that do like it should be respected for their decision also. If we could all remember this, the OP might have gotten some more useful responses than we have mostly managed to provide, between us all
Old Feb 4th 2009, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

rightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to all

That's rather unfair. One man's meat is another man's poison.
We are all different and have different needs and wants. It would be a rather boring place if we were all the same.

This is not aimed at the poster of the quoted comment i just pasted, but I actually find the different cultures and lifestyles interesting. I don't necessarily agree with some things other cultures do (or don't!) and that's only because it doesn't fit into *my* world, but is interesting to experience none the less.

I've spoken to many Australians and of those that have lived in this country all their lives, it's the ones that have lived and worked in every state that highlights the fact that everyone wants something different. Meet someone who has done the living/working in every state and if they now live in Adelaide, they'll tell you they have settled there cause they didn't find what they were looking for elsewhere. They are now settled in Adelaide. Ask someone in Perth/Sydney/Brisbane/Darwin/Cairns etc etc etc who has experienced what the country has to offer and they'll tell you the same thing, they prefer the state they're now in, so to get wound up on an internet forum trying to tell all and sundry that Adelaide is the worst place in the land and has no right to be considered, is a bit narrow minded.

Last edited by rightruccus; Feb 4th 2009 at 11:22 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

That's rather unfair. One man's meat is another man's poison.
We are all different and have different needs and wants. It would be a rather boring place if we were all the same.
I don't see Im being unfair? people have asked for opinions, and thats what they are, opinions! If you object to the tone well I guess thats fair enough... but all anyone can offer is their own thoughts.

I don't personally think Adelaide is a "shithole" not at all. Its just not for me, for reasons I hope Ive made clear. I enjoy these threads because its been hard for three years hearing people say how great Adelaide is and feeling like the kid in The Emporers New Clothes!

I didn't have a choice whether to come to Adelaide or not due to my visa, so its not an issue for me in that way, but if you do, and it might not be for you, well its a waste of money upping sticks and moving interstate when you didn't need to isn't it?

There are some people who quite aggressively defend Adelaide, and yet when they accept you are leaving will admit they are envious because they can't, so I do think some people "doth protest too much"

The point of the forum is to share advice and info after all.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

I didn't have a choice whether to come to Adelaide or not due to my visa,
yet when they accept you are leaving will admit they are envious because they can't,
Is it maybe because one didn't have a choice initially on where to live in Oz, that a subconcious thought about living in the SA state is a negative one?
Old Feb 4th 2009, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well not for me, but I can see what you mean, I really didn't want the upheaval of moving again! I triedto fit in, and I gave it my best shot, but I had to accept that its really not where I want to be, and it was a relief to accept that.

If Adelaide was where I had to stay, I think I'd seriously consider returning to the UK, Im lucky cos I get to try another state now. We all come for different reasons, Im still into my career, Im single, and I want adventure and the big city life... simple as that.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rightruccus
Is it maybe because one didn't have a choice initially on where to live in Oz, that a subconcious thought about living in the SA state is a negative one?
I did not have a choice either (not exactly but can be assumed, got the STNI visa from SA).
With visa in hand came here for a looksee.

Fell in love with Adelaide within an hour of landing.

Just the place I have been looking for.

After more than 2 years still loving it.

Great place to live, a bit cold and long winter would be my only complaint.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mipik
I did not have a choice either (not exactly but can be assumed, got the STNI visa from SA).
With visa in hand came here for a looksee.

Fell in love with Adelaide within an hour of landing.

Just the place I have been looking for.

After more than 2 years still loving it.

Great place to live, a bit cold and long winter would be my only complaint.
I am with you on this one. But I would not hesitate to move elsewhere if circumstances dictate.
Jacqui

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.