Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What about this year's income tax when we move to Australia?

What about this year's income tax when we move to Australia?

Old Jun 6th 2010, 6:28 pm
Enjoying living in Perth

luis_be has a spectacular aura aboutluis_be has a spectacular aura aboutluis_be has a spectacular aura about
Default What about this year's income tax when we move to Australia?

Hi there,

We are planning to move to Australia in October. I was told by a friend that there is some kind of tax agreement between the two countries. He also said that when we leave the UK we could file a tax return in here to get back some of the tax we paid this year (April - September) as we will not work the full year, and in Australia we will have to pay income tax only on what we earn after we move there.

This sounds too good to be true, is this really the case? I thought that we would be double-taxed on our earnings from July to September or at least pay the full year tax on one of the countries because technically that period overlaps the fiscal years in both countries... (well I am far from a tax expert but that is how I understand things)

If this is correct, when should we file the tax return here? Can it be done before we leave?

If anyone knows how this works or have some link to some website that explains the matter, please help!

Cheers,
Luis
Old Jun 6th 2010, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

perthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really nice
Default Re: What about this year's income tax when we move to Australia?

Hi,

Yes you can claim tax back as you won't have used all of your allowance for the year.

I only know this as I have had a quote from some shippers who also told me about this and gave me some contact details for a company who will do it for you - for a percentage of course!

I haven't looked into it yet but I am sure if you phone your nearest tax office they will tell you what you need to do

Can claim back NI too

X
Old Jun 6th 2010, 8:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Don't use a company to do this for you, not unless you have extremely complicated financial affairs. Just fill in form P85 in the UK.

I am not aware that there is a provision to get NI back. Perhaps perthhopeful could elaborate on that.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luis_be
Hi there,

We are planning to move to Australia in October. I was told by a friend that there is some kind of tax agreement between the two countries. He also said that when we leave the UK we could file a tax return in here to get back some of the tax we paid this year (April - September) as we will not work the full year, and in Australia we will have to pay income tax only on what we earn after we move there.

This sounds too good to be true, is this really the case? I thought that we would be double-taxed on our earnings from July to September or at least pay the full year tax on one of the countries because technically that period overlaps the fiscal years in both countries... (well I am far from a tax expert but that is how I understand things)

If this is correct, when should we file the tax return here? Can it be done before we leave?

If anyone knows how this works or have some link to some website that explains the matter, please help!

Cheers,
Luis
Complete form P85, send it to HMRC and you'll get back some of your UK income tax.

You won't be taxed twice on anything. You'll only pay Australian income tax on income that you get AFTER you become a resident in Australia for tax purposes (i.e. you land in Australia with the intention of staying for a while).

Cheers

Steve
Old Jun 7th 2010, 6:56 am
Enjoying living in Perth

luis_be has a spectacular aura aboutluis_be has a spectacular aura aboutluis_be has a spectacular aura about

Hi

Thanks for the replies. I didn't know about that form P85 and I found the details about it here:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/r_and_d.htm

It seems to be a straightforward process and it can be done before we leave the UK!

Luis

Last edited by luis_be; Jun 7th 2010 at 8:18 am.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 7:53 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure you leave a bank account open so the money can be paid directly to it. Makes life easier and it's always a good idea to leave a UK account up and running.