Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What about Townsville???

What about Townsville???

Old Oct 22nd 2007, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

SKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud of
Default What about Townsville???

For anyone living there or visited there whats it like??
Is there a city center?
I know it's got a good climate, about 160.000 people live there, on the coast. But thats about all.
whats it like for living there and working there? is there any work? besides mining jobs???

OOOHHHH my God I am so confused!?!?!?!? Don't know where to move to

HELP
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 6:39 pm
Happily living in Tsv,Qld

Simon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to all
Default Re: What about Townsville???

I've visited Townville several times and really like it. It's where we'd like to locate to. I can imagine better places to locate to in Aus, but we have family there, so thats one of our reasons for the move to Townsville.

I would start by reading these:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=486537
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=469525
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=442782

Like most things in life, it depends what your looking for and what your preferences are...
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

SKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud of

when are you guys thinking of moving there?
What areas are good for looking at living in? is there a cbd? and any main strips with coffeeshops? restaurants, or bars? you know the important things!!
whats the likes of jobs there? are there plenty going? looking at real estate or sales rep jobs??
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 7:15 pm
Happily living in Tsv,Qld

Simon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to all

My OH's parent have lived there for nearly 8 years. We hope to be moving there next September.

Note: there is Townsville and Thuringowa. Sometimes these are known as the "Twin Cities".

We were there this summer and there are plans for these 2 cities to merge into one 'Townsville'. Technically Thuringowa is the bigger, but as my father-in-law pointed out, if you go elsewhere in Aus, no one has heard of Thuringowa, but everyone knows where Townsville is.

I would say both are very 'industrial' rooted, and over the past seven years there has been alot of development - for the better.

Townsville has "The Strand", which is a strip of coast facing Magnetic Island. It got battered in a cyclone not too long ago, and was re-developed afterwards. And very well in my opinion.

There are alot of bars/cafes/night clubs etc...

Townsville has a CBD, but I'm not that familiar with it. I think Thuringowa has a CBD too.

Both Townsville and Thuringowa are made up of 'districts' and you can drive through them and they all merge into one, it's very hard to tell were one starts and another finished.

I can't really comment on the job front, as we've only looked into teaching jobs. I would suggest finding out what the local job website is and get an idea from that.

If you have any other 'specific' questions, I'll try and answer, but this is only my opinion having visited 4 times over the past 6 years. I'm sure there are others out there who can contribute. There is also alot of information in those threads I listed above....
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

were also looking to move out to oz in sept/oct.
Think were landing in brissy, buying a car there and driving up to cairns and doing a quick reccie then. We'll have one month before driving back to sydney to pick up the dogs. So hopefully in that time we can find somewhere to live in a nice place that we'll settle down a start a business and family.

Cheers and we'll keep in touch
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

maccy124 is an unknown quantity at this point

went to townsville last year, tbh spent most f the time on magnetic island. Beautiful scenery and an amazing place!
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 10:21 am
Danny

drdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud of

Some pics of TSV incl the CBD:

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/3093448
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/3180466

First lot from my trip there for an interview...

Danny

Originally Posted by SKIPPI79
Is there a city center?
I know it's got a good climate, about 160.000 people live there, on the coast. But thats about all.
whats it like for living there and working there? is there any work? besides mining jobs???

HELP
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

sals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to all

Is there a city center?

HELP
Hi skippi
we are off to Townsville in January. There's loads of expats there and quite a few just arrived or like us on their way.
I've never been but I looked at all the info available and it looked like the place for us! Only ever heard one negative comment about the area and everyone I know who has been there said they loved it.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 12:10 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Do a search Skippi as there have been a lot of threads on Townsville.

Look in particular for RabC's run down on the suburbs.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cheers bix i found it and what a help. I've also come across someones website, they put their pics on it, and I must say that it looks the dogs b****cks.
for anyone heading to townsville that haven't seen it - http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/3093448#P-1-15

I can't remember who posted it but thanks for giving us another option in QLD!!
Old Oct 24th 2007, 5:41 am
Danny

drdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud of

That would be me (see above!). No problems. I only had 3 days there toward the end of winter...

I can't remember who posted it but thanks for giving us another option in QLD!!
Old Oct 24th 2007, 8:36 am
Just Joined

CraigSarahGeorge is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there a city center?

HELP
We arrived in oz july 2006 and took a year out and travelled all round oz (except the West) looking for our new home. We now live in Bushland Beach in Townsville its fab. Job wise if you want one you will get one. I found one within a week and my wife in 6 weeks. House Prices are affordable compared to most other places.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

iwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to alliwilldoit is a name known to all

Hi All
We are planning to go to Townsville have family there, I cant wait, the weather which is extremely hot at the moment, the beaches, of course there is the cyclones to remember, but all in all seems a good fast up and coming place with lots of job prospects..........I for one cant wait to get there...........
Old Oct 24th 2007, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think that there are olot of people moving there within the next yr or so. And like others we are excited to get to oz as quickly as possible.
After researching plenty of places( only want to live in qld), like cairns, mission beach, mackay, sunshine coast, gold coast and brissy, we're going to visit townsville first and try to find a house and jobs there to start with.
Everything I've seen and read about it has been .
Lots of positive info and some crackin' pics( thanks Drdan) have help us make up our mind on checkin out townsville first. I've also seen that there are plenty of jobs going. I'm looking at sales rep or real estate jobs and found plenty. OH will look for casual work in a coffeeshop first before we'll open something for her. I've aslo seen plenty of new shopping centers opening up next yr. which will be fine.

Were looking into the suburbs Bushland beach, saunders beach, are these nice places to live??
Old Oct 24th 2007, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

what do you mean????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.