Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What about Singapore Airlines too?

What about Singapore Airlines too?

Old Nov 12th 2004, 5:49 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What about Singapore Airlines too?

I'm flying with Singapore, staying in hotel room at Changi, as have a 16 hour stop.
Not enough time to go anywhere - esp re luggage, but a damn long time to just hang around.
Any good?
Cas
Old Nov 12th 2004, 5:56 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What about Singapore Airlines too?

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
I'm flying with Singapore, staying in hotel room at Changi, as have a 16 hour stop.
Not enough time to go anywhere - esp re luggage, but a damn long time to just hang around.
Any good?
Cas
Ah, another Singapore Airlines lucky contestant

Don't know what the flight is like but the customer services woman I spoke to earlier sounded lovely
Old Nov 12th 2004, 5:59 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
Ah, another Singapore Airlines lucky contestant

Don't know what the flight is like but the customer services woman I spoke to earlier sounded lovely
Probably the same one I spoke to earlier - very pleasant and helpful - though you may not mean that

You going with them I take it?
Where to and when if you don't mind me asking - looking for a travel companion as will be going on my own initially.
Cas
Old Nov 12th 2004, 6:04 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Probably the same one I spoke to earlier - very pleasant and helpful - though you may not mean that

You going with them I take it?
Where to and when if you don't mind me asking - looking for a travel companion as will be going on my own initially.
Cas
2nd Jan to Brisbane, arriving Gawd knows when From your signature I take it you are heading off not long after that?

Matt
Old Nov 12th 2004, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What about Singapore Airlines too?

Any good?
Cas
We have flown with Singapore airlines twice. Excellent airline. Singapore is expensive. stay around the hotel and relax you will probably find that they do a 2 for 1 offer on the beer. Hotels are lovely.

Have a good flight I am jealous
Old Nov 12th 2004, 6:23 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
2nd Jan to Brisbane, arriving Gawd knows when From your signature I take it you are heading off not long after that?

Matt
8 days after you. Are you getting excited yet?
I know I am - if it wasn't for Christmas obligations I'd be there now.
Cas
Old Nov 12th 2004, 6:32 pm
Account Closed

8 days after you. Are you getting excited yet?
I know I am - if it wasn't for Christmas obligations I'd be there now.
Cas
I'm not really the type to get "excited" but I am certainly looking forward to the move. I'm a realist so I'll be happier when I'm settled and working

I could've gone earlier but the 2nd seemed the "right" date for some intangible reason. Plenty of time to tie-up loose ends and have a family/friends xmas too.
Old Nov 12th 2004, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Any good?
Cas
Caroline , even if you don't want to spend money.....you can catch a train into the city for less than $2 from Changi airport, go into Orchard road shopping area or to Raffles hotel , or to Little India.
Or if the sun is out you could take a taxi to East coast park(10 mins from Changi) and walk along the sea front, eat at the fish restaurants, hire a bike ...
Shame I'm not stopping over on the way out , only on the way home, or I'd offer to show you round. You can get a free bus with SQ that goes around all the tourist stops - you just need to show them your SQ airline ticket. My visitors used to use it.
Helinuk
Old Nov 12th 2004, 10:03 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by helinuk
Caroline , even if you don't want to spend money.....you can catch a train into the city for less than $2 from Changi airport, go into Orchard road shopping area or to Raffles hotel , or to Little India.
Or if the sun is out you could take a taxi to East coast park(10 mins from Changi) and walk along the sea front, eat at the fish restaurants, hire a bike ...
Shame I'm not stopping over on the way out , only on the way home, or I'd offer to show you round. You can get a free bus with SQ that goes around all the tourist stops - you just need to show them your SQ airline ticket. My visitors used to use it.
Helinuk
Thanks for the info, I will be going out and having a look round, and you've given me some more ideas - couldn't sleep all that time!

Cas
Old Nov 13th 2004, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

We flew with Singapore airlines. We have 2 young children (1 under 2), so I wasn't looking forward to the flight. However, the flight went really well, it was the best service we've ever had. I really wouldn't be daunted about flying long haul with them again and am going to look at their frequent flyer scheme.
We had 3 days in Singapore and it was great. We stayed in Little India (really cheap veggie curries), the shopping was great too. We liked china town, sucker that I am, I got a red silk cheongsam made. We took the kids to Sentosa Island (they loved it) and to the nocturnal zoo (great!). One tip I'd give - taxis are *really* cheap and reliable.
Old Nov 13th 2004, 2:04 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Any good?
Cas
Have flown with Singapore airlines loads of times - never had one bad experience. The food is usually excellent!

And more tellingly: when my father in law was taken ill at LHR with a suspected stroke when he was about to board one of their flights, their staff were truly wonderful. MIL said they got professional medical people to him straight away. When we rung up, all upset & worried, they knew who we were, gave us prompt & accurate information, including tel no of the ward staff at the hospital he was en route to. They made us feel that they were really concerned that FIL was OK. It's when something really bad like that happens that you find out just how good some of the airlines are.

Have a fab flight - and yes, go see Raffles if you can, & get a pink gin sling!

Cheers
Anya.
Old Nov 13th 2004, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

CornishPasty is on a distinguished road

I have only flown Singapore airlines and dont intend to change. Its always been so good, and we have stopped off before (they do a great stopover price with hotels included). I also recommend getting a star alliance card for your miles. If you fly to/from Oz 2 times a year you get gold and dont have to queue and sit in the lounges (I am going to lose it as I need to fly home before March but am going in April). Also, 5 return flights gets you a free return which I think is pretty good, its equivelant to 20% off your ticket.
Old Nov 13th 2004, 10:09 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about Singapore Airlines but Singapore itself is well worth a visit. Very clean and very safe. We had 3 days there and it wasn't enough. As well as the stuff mentioned above the Sri Mariamman (sp?) temple is fantastic as is the Night Zoo. There is also Chinatown and Little India. You could spend a few days on Sentosa Island alone. A Singapore Sling in Raffles Hotel is a must do. Expensive at about £7 each but great fun throwing peanut shells on the floor as the birds fly in and eat from them.

We have some photos on the web:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/iain_sa.../Singapore.htm
Old Nov 13th 2004, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

marysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nice

Hi Cas we flew SA last year and they were great we had a 4 hour wait between flights so I went to the lounge where you can get a massage it was great a proper dig deep and know you've been done one just what i needed before the next 8 hour flight and it was cheap give it a go

Hey I bet you are starting to get doubts and regrets now that the cold dark nasty wet nights have arrived arn't you ho ho

Mary
Old Nov 13th 2004, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

steve the man is on a distinguished road

I agree that Singapore Airlines are great, good service flight attendants that actually understand english ,good variety of onboard entertainment etc, but the airport itself is bloody expensive the last time I went through on my way to adelaide i was charged the equivelant of £8.00 for 2 cans of VB and that was nearly 4 yrs ago .